MacFarland/Landeskog press conference

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Look, I am willing to give @chet1926 a break here, because we didn't get the "I'm going to be ready at training camp" or "I cannot play anymore" type of firm news. And that does suck. But honestly even as someone who'd said that we shouldn't shut the door on that type of news, I also was firm that it was not likely we'd get something like that.

However, in between the bigger pieces of quotes/news, of which the timeline suddenly going from 12-16 months to 12-18 months certainly wasn't welcome, Landeskog did say that he hasn't had any setbacks--minor or otherwise--for the last few months. So it opens the door to the possibility that the reason they've tacked another 2 months on there is to ensure he continues having no setbacks and his knee gets stronger. But the fact is he just crossed the threshold of the minimum time he was told it'd take to recover. It is, in no way, selfish of him to continue his rehab from this surgery, while not having setbacks, and (presumably) being told by his medical team that he's on track to resume playing.
And frankly, what are people expecting he/CMac should do? Basically the only realistic way of satisfying people like chet, would be for him to ask for a trade. He's not going to retire, he's going to want to play again. The Avs can't tell him not to, you can't LTIR healthy people if they don't want to.

This is kinda like in Sopranos, "You're being unreasonable John!". For people to expect that Landeskog should have an answer ready for July 1st to whether or not he's able to play, is frankly unrealistic.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'll wait to give my full thoughts until I actually watch the presser later today. However, based on the tweets I'm seeing with today's quotes, I'm so glad they got the one championship when they did because they MIGHT be ****ed.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Look, I am willing to give @chet1926 a break here, because we didn't get the "I'm going to be ready at training camp" or "I cannot play anymore" type of firm news. And that does suck. But honestly even as someone who'd said that we shouldn't shut the door on that type of news, I also was firm that it was not likely we'd get something like that.

However, in between the bigger pieces of quotes/news, of which the timeline suddenly going from 12-16 months to 12-18 months certainly wasn't welcome, Landeskog did say that he hasn't had any setbacks--minor or otherwise--for the last few months. So it opens the door to the possibility that the reason they've tacked another 2 months on there is to ensure he continues having no setbacks and his knee gets stronger. But the fact is he just crossed the threshold of the minimum time he was told it'd take to recover. It is, in no way, selfish of him to continue his rehab from this surgery, while not having setbacks, and (presumably) being told by his medical team that he's on track to resume playing.
He also says " mid Seotember til April" I wouldn't be surprised if Landy stays LTIR to help the team situation until the '25 playoffs

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He also says " mid Seotember til April" I wouldn't be surprised if Landy stays LTIR to help the team situation until the '25 playoffs
Good lord, unless he's just coming back as a really overpaid 4th liner, that would be such a bad plan. That would be 3 full seasons with no competitive hockey, that's a big ask for anyone.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Good lord, unless he's just coming back as a really overpaid 4th liner, that would be such a bad plan. That would be 3 full seasons with no competitive hockey, that's a big ask for anyone.
true bit if he's in full training. just pointing out if the Val situation screws us he is an unselfish guy and could get more time with his family ....but yeah a whole year might be too much ...maybe a half

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Has it ever occurred that maybe, just maaaayyybbbee he was healthy for the majority of the season and players have ups/downs in their seasons? The dude was still a top three defenceman in the NHL this season, playing top minutes throughout the NHL…. He did everything offensively that we’ve always seen and made a bunch of poor decisions in his own end, mental errors not physical. If he cleans that up he still has more to give, if not we merely have a top defenceman in the NHL.
It's occurred to me that this is a possibility. However, Makar said himself in November or December that he was dealing with something over the summer that he hoped would be fixed with rest but never completely healed. Considering the grind of the NHL season and the minutes he was fed, I don't see how that kind of thing gets better.

My impression from watching him this season is that he was wincing more than usual, some movements bothered him at times, and he did not look as consistently explosive as in past years. His ability to juke defending forwards at the blue line and get shots through shot blockers is still 99 percentile in the NHL, which is why his offensive output did not suffer that much.

Just one person's opinion based on his watching his movement and listening to his own words.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The interview was the box.

whats-in-the-box-you-took-the-box.gif

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, if he’s not ready from the start of the season and again they gonna keep pushing the return date month to month, just keep him on LTIR until playoffs

Reactions: Alienblood

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The press conference was pretty much what I expected. Some nuggets here or there that can be read into, but no headline information.

I actually think the team's roster has a lot more clarity this off-season compared to last. At the time of this post, the Avalanche has its 1-2-3 centers for next year, as well as its top-4 defense settled. To me that's huge. Colorado entered last off-season with only MacKinnon and Newhook (coming off a bad season) down the middle, and the defense was a log jam with questions of who should get extended or traded. Right or wrong, those situations are settled. We know the Avalanche are going to take their reclamation project shots this off-season - MacFarland said as much today - but at least the entire offensive structure isn't hinging on Ryan Johansen turning his career around.

The Landeskog and Nichushkin situations remain challenges and it's hard to have any insights, other than MacFarland obviously needs to work around those situations. How does he do that and make the team better at the same time? I don't think he can, at least not on paper. The Avalanche are going to be a borderline top-5 team again next year in all likelihood, but it's going to take another big deadline if they want a second cup with this core.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
3rd line

Sounds to me like they just want Nuke to get serious and prove trust in the next 6 months.
3rd line what? Those are the guys we have if we don't re-sign Drouin and Landeskog can't play or isn't good enough.

Basically CMac is saying if Val completes the program successfully, he will be back with the team, if not then a termination is an option. Val needs to stay clean for 6 months and not screw up. Unless that’s just talk and CMac actually already made up his mind that Val is not coming back, that’s where we at. They gonna give him another chance if he doesn’t screw up in the program
If he completes the program he will definitely have trade value. It would be nice to get something back for losing a player that good.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Love hearing about Drouin but what the f*** is the plan?

Landy goes on LTIR until playoffs? Get rid of Val ASAP once he’s re-instated?

Is it possible to get Casey and Drouin to sign for 1.5 million (possibly more) less than expected each? Trade Wood along with that too?

Trade Wood and Colton to cut costs?

Trenin and Walker are walking without a doubt

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Damnit this is why I don’t like people sometimes lol. I missed the conference cause of work so I came here for a synopsis and there’s two versions going on. Can someone who feels they have an extremely good read on it correct me if I’m wrong? I’m going back and listening now. But the tidbits I’ve picked up,

1) ELC guys like Foudy, Kovalenko, and Malinski will get shots for cap reasons.
2) Sounds like the team is hoping Nichushkin recovers from human aspect but reading between lines some guys might be pissed?
3) Johnson and Cogliano could come back?
4) They’ll try to bring back Drouin but know it’ll be difficult?
5) Sounds like they’ll possibly explore terminating but know that there’s a while before that would happen and legal proceedings (getting that from lot of posters)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Damnit this is why I don’t like people sometimes lol. I missed the conference cause of work so I came here for a synopsis and there’s two versions going on. Can someone who feels they have an extremely good read on it correct me if I’m wrong? I’m going back and listening now. But the tidbits I’ve picked up,

1) ELC guys like Foudy, Kovalenko, and Malinski will get shots for cap reasons.
2) Sounds like the team is hoping Nichushkin recovers from human aspect but reading between lines some guys might be pissed?
3) Johnson and Cogliano could come back?
4) They’ll try to bring back Drouin but know it’ll be difficult?
5) Sounds like they’ll possibly explore terminating but know that there’s a while before that would happen and legal proceedings (getting that from lot of posters)
I think you can safely take the "might" out of there. No doubt whatsoever they're furious with him.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
3rd line what? Those are the guys we have if we don't re-sign Drouin and Landeskog can't play or isn't good enough.

If he completes the program he will definitely have trade value. It would be nice to get something back for losing a player that good.
I think the bigger question is after he completes the program, will he stay clean and not f*** up again for his sake and the team’s, or will he do it again and leave in the middle of the playoffs. I think he will complete the 6 month program because he knows if he messes up again, he can have his contract terminated and lose a lot of money. It’s what he does after completing the program is the key

Last edited:

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This is gonna be CMac’s biggest challenge. He needs to get very creative or we might have a very shitty roster next season

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
2025 playoffs roster

Lehky - Mack - Rant
Lando - Mitt - Nisch/replacement
Wood - trade deadline - LOC
UFA - UFA - Kovy

Toews-Makar
Girard-Manson
UFA/Behrens/Malinsky

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think the bigger question is after he completes the program, will he stay clean and not f*** up again for his sake and the team’s, or will he do it again and leave in the middle of the playoffs. I think he will complete the 6 month program because he knows if he messes up again, he can have his contract terminated and lose a lot of money. It’s what he does after completing the program is the key
That is not how the program works. Nuke would go into stage 4 at that point, with contract in place. It wouldn't count against the cap and it wouldn't be paid during that time. If he completes the program, he is still eligible for reinstatement, it is just not guaranteed. There is nothing stating that he is for sure voided and done at that point. If he completed the rehab and all requirements, there is a more likely instance that the contract would be reinstated through the program. Though the team would end up terminating.

TLDR There is nothing stating that if Nuke screws up again and goes to stage 4 that the contract is automatically voided through the PAP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad