MacFarland/Landeskog press conference

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah but if something is significant, it usually requires surgery.
It is an option (when out of stage 3) and CMac stated he’s basically violated his contract.

Stage 4 does not state anything about termination either.
Basically CMac is saying if Val completes the program successfully, he will be back with the team, if not then a termination is an option. Val needs to stay clean for 6 months and not screw up. Unless that’s just talk and CMac actually already made up his mind that Val is not coming back, that’s where we at. They gonna give him another chance if he doesn’t screw up in the program

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Basically the summation on the press conference is simple, we're f***ed and we don't know what to do about it.

We are completely screwed.

Landy still big question mark to even play but of course he is going to try so it completely handcuffs us, no surprises there. Can't wait for the inevitable we'll it's just not getting better and Gabe can't play presser come early December. I'll say the hard part out loud since no else wants to. What he's doing is incredibly selfish, I get he wants to play, but with no guarantees he can he's completely f***ing us. You either can or you can't, this ambiguous maybe is not good enough. We are literally throwing away the prime of 29 and 8 on a hope that maybe he can play at some point. Sucks, I feel bad for Gabe and want him to play but I feel worse for 29 and 8 who are elite players in their prime and are watching this unfold and not getting proper help to make up runs.

Nuke continues to f*** us, with no foreseeable options. Glad coke was more important than your team. I really hope to never see him in an Avs jersey again. Completely unacceptable.

Lehk probably doesn't start the year. Sucks. Can't wait to see how shitty the day 1 roster is.

We are going to bring back crap vets that provide literal nothing, except been older, slower, and crappier than last year. A younger prospect could easily fill those two players (Cogs and JMFJ) slots. And quite frankly it's better for the team to get younger players in here.

No Drouin, f*** me. Got love us not even trying to get him signed so that it makes our franchise player happy. Why would we want to try and make 29 happy? f***ing dumbass shit right there, you do whatever it takes to get Drouin back and make 29 happy. There are multiple trade avenues that could make it work.

Well here's to a shitty summer, and us competing for the #1 pick next year because that's where we are headed. With a shit roster and broken hopes it's just the most likely scenario. Hopefully there is a good player to be had at the top of next year's draft.

While I agree with the very basic premise that it's disappointing to not have any firmer clarity on Landeskog, I think that's where our agreeing begins & ends.

You've had an axe to grind against Landeskog since he was drafted, that got worse once he was named Captain. So I'm not surprised that you feel this way about it.

Nichushkin won't be back. They can't do anything right now, but is not at all the same as not being able to do anything ever.

Yeah, we're going to have to utilize our pro scouts to find veteran players that can provide help while cheap. Whether that's vets or what, we'll see.

He didn't say anything about not even trying to sign Drouin. He said he'd be lying if he were to tell you that it "won't be a challenge", but that's not the same as just not trying. In fact, he even brought up the 10% cushion you get in the summer time. I think, if anything, CMac has shown himself to be a very specific speaker. Meaning, he's not going to just mention something that has no real relevance to the conversation. Bringing up, unprompted, the 10% offseason cushion tells me that it's something they've discussed utilizing.

The odds are very high that this team's Cup window has either shut or is almost shut. That doesn't mean they will suddenly not contend for the playoffs, or even be considered a Cup Contender. I think it does mean that they won't be anyone's real pick to win the Cup right now, but we've all seen that teams can go on heaters and win. This team DOES have the talent to do that, but I wouldn't say it's at all likely. We're going to see some re-tooling around the edges, but we're not going to be some shitty team all of the sudden. Not with the elite talent that's on this roster.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Why do you want Philly to get a good player with our pick? :D

I actually forgotten how that trade worked and if it was this year's first or next and if it was lottery protected.

But the chaos would be delightful if Cmac gave up a lottery pick to dump Ryjo and rent a #5 dman for a month.
terrible move getting Ryjo in the 1st place might as well just used those assets to get a player that could play.

Fire Cmac !

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It’s not finishing as a lottery team bad. It’s just a lot of question marks going into next year. More so than probably prior years
I think a lot of people in here are going to be stunned at how bad the roster is come October. I mean you are looking at a good chance of Wood playing top 6 in Oct and Nov if 62 isn't ready and Landy can't play, Nuke suspension is over like mid Nov. Not sure who's playing top 6 other than 29, 96 and Mitts.

If 29, 8 and 96 don't flat carry, it's an easy non playoff team. Especially if George plays anywhere near as bad or worse than he did last regular season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Basically CMac is saying if Val completes the program successfully, he will be back with the team, if not then a termination is an option. Val needs to stay clean for 6 months and not screw up. Unless that’s just talk and CMac actually already made up his mind that Val is not coming back, that’s where we at. They gonna give him another chance if he doesn’t screw up in the program
CMac is saying they are looking at every option they can to figure out a solution. They can't say he's gone without playing their hand. When you take in Landy's words too... Nuke isn't really welcomed back. They will try to find a way out, and only if they can't find a way out will Nuke return.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think a lot of people in here are going to be stunned at how bad the roster is come October. I mean you are looking at a good chance of Wood playing top 6 in Oct and Nov if 62 isn't ready and Landy can't play, Nuke suspension is over like mid Nov. Not sure who's playing top 6 other than 29, 96 and Mitts.

If 29, 8 and 96 don't flat carry, it's an easy non playoff team. Especially if George plays anywhere near as bad or worse than he did last regular season.
Talk about a hyperbole holy moly lol

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

:laugh: No we aren't. I know you love to overreact but let's try to act intelligently.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
CMac is saying they are looking at every option they can to figure out a solution. They can't say he's gone without playing their hand. When you take in Landy's words too... Nuke isn't really welcomed back. They will try to find a way out, and only if they can't find a way out will Nuke return.
They said what all of us probably expected them to say. We really don’t know what’s gonna happen, we all have different takes on what we heard. I heard they might give Val another chance, while you and others maybe heard Val isn’t coming back or might not be back. We’ll just have to wait and see I guess

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
While I agree with the very basic premise that it's disappointing to not have any firmer clarity on Landeskog, I think that's where our agreeing begins & ends.

You've had an axe to grind against Landeskog since he was drafted, that got worse once he was named Captain. So I'm not surprised that you feel this way about it.

Nichushkin won't be back. They can't do anything right now, but is not at all the same as not being able to do anything ever.

Yeah, we're going to have to utilize our pro scouts to find veteran players that can provide help while cheap. Whether that's vets or what, we'll see.

He didn't say anything about not even trying to sign Drouin. He said he'd be lying if he were to tell you that it "won't be a challenge", but that's not the same as just not trying. In fact, he even brought up the 10% cushion you get in the summer time. I think, if anything, CMac has shown himself to be a very specific speaker. Meaning, he's not going to just mention something that has no real relevance to the conversation. Bringing up, unprompted, the 10% offseason cushion tells me that it's something they've discussed utilizing.

The odds are very high that this team's Cup window has either shut or is almost shut. That doesn't mean they will suddenly not contend for the playoffs, or even be considered a Cup Contender. I think it does mean that they won't be anyone's real pick to win the Cup right now, but we've all seen that teams can go on heaters and win. This team DOES have the talent to do that, but I wouldn't say it's at all likely. We're going to see some re-tooling around the edges, but we're not going to be some shitty team all of the sudden. Not with the elite talent that's on this roster.
First of all, I do not have an axe to grind with Landy anymore, he shut me up by getting us a Cup.

Second not sure how anyone can't view the Landy situation without seeing the selfishness. He wants to play, and is working his butt off trying to be able to. Unfortunately he can't give a firm answer. And due to him not being able to give a firm answer he's handcuffing the team. It's gotten to the point of needing a resolution. Attempting to play isn't a solution. Wanting to play and playing are 2 different things. 29 and 8 are out there giving it their all, 92 being in limbo not playing and not allowing us to use his cap is bad.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
First of all, I do not have an axe to grind with Landy anymore, he shut me up by getting us a Cup.

Second not sure how anyone can't view the Landy situation without seeing the selfishness. He wants to play, and is working his butt off trying to be able to. Unfortunately he can't give a firm answer. And due to him not being able to give a firm answer he's handcuffing the team. It's gotten to the point of needing a resolution. Attempting to play isn't a solution. Wanting to play and playing are 2 different things. 29 and 8 are out there giving it their all, 92 being in limbo not playing and not allowing us to use his cap is bad.
So if his initial timeline for recovery was 12-16 months, and he just crossed the 12 month mark 13 days ago, it's selfish of him that he doesn't have a crystal ball and can't say with certainty that he'll be ready to start training camp?

Do you realize how that makes you sound?

And no, I do not believe that you've suddenly stopped having that axe to grind, it's very obvious that you still carry that torch to this day.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Val has to go. I hope the organization sees that. You cannot take the chance again. Hope Val gets help, but he can f*** off elsewhere.

It’s crazy how the Avs have had seasons derailed by two unprecedented situations with Landeskog and Nichushkin.

I think McFarland did a good job this year and I’ve got more faith in him than I did previously. He seems to have the ability to find creative solutions.

Hopefully he’s a little less loyal to the current group at this point. Don’t worry about pissing people off, put the best team on the ice.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Hahahahahaha

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019

Certainly you must still have an axe to grind with him if you think this is a selfish act?

How is this any different than any other player being told by doctors that there is a real possibility of continuing his career in the prime of his life if he puts in the proper rehab? On a timeline that is also on schedule for what was outlined?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

He, much to our chagrin, did not. Because here you are still bitching about him.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Even an 80% Landeskog on the ice is more valuable than a LTIR Landeskog.

This team lost 2 pillars in its leadership foundation last season, and it was noticeable at varying times all year. The 'A's did their best, but they don't yet carry the same dynamic that was missing. He deserves every chance to get back on the ice.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Look, I am willing to give @chet1926 a break here, because we didn't get the "I'm going to be ready at training camp" or "I cannot play anymore" type of firm news. And that does suck. But honestly even as someone who'd said that we shouldn't shut the door on that type of news, I also was firm that it was not likely we'd get something like that.

However, in between the bigger pieces of quotes/news, of which the timeline suddenly going from 12-16 months to 12-18 months certainly wasn't welcome, Landeskog did say that he hasn't had any setbacks--minor or otherwise--for the last few months. So it opens the door to the possibility that the reason they've tacked another 2 months on there is to ensure he continues having no setbacks and his knee gets stronger. But the fact is he just crossed the threshold of the minimum time he was told it'd take to recover. It is, in no way, selfish of him to continue his rehab from this surgery, while not having setbacks, and (presumably) being told by his medical team that he's on track to resume playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad