MacFarland/Landeskog press conference

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I hope he gets help but I also hope he gets the boot from the team.

There’s just too much at stake at this high of a level of hockey. Most players only have a 5-10 year window to play (if even that). I have loads of empathy for Nuke because addictions are just absolutely debilitating, but the bar is so high in professional sports and teammates careers are so short that you just cannot rely on a guy to play if he’s battling something like this.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
How many players in the NHL have been injured going on a 3rd straight season?

It's one thing to be out for a year, it's a completely different thing to be out possibly 3. I'd argue he is way off track, he was supposed to be back at end of year one and now we are moving onto year 3. I get he wants to play and is doing the right things to try and make it happen, but there is still a good chance it doesn't happen.

At some point he is going to have to make a tough decision if he can't go. I hope that if he isn't right by December he does the right thing of either LTIR retires or straight up retire. We can't continue to play the maybe game with 7M. You can't put yourself at that disadvantage in today's NHL. 7M goes a long way towards some much needed players.
How many players have recovered from this surgery faster?

Was Eichel selfish for taking a similarly risky surgery, and taking a long time to heal? How dare he, it’s not like that worked out well and he led his team to a cup and deserved conn smyth considerations.

News flash, it’s uncharted territory for this injury, that’s why this is taking longer. We had his cap space to use all season, and did. He is said to be on schedule. It literally has not hurt the team other than his inability to play and them wanting him back. Seems kinda silly to say it’s selfish when that is what both parties want, for him to take the necessary time to recover properly.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Landy returning could be an absolute cap disaster. I´ll be shocked if he returns as an impact player, more than happy to be proven wrong though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nuke is gone. There is no way that locker room accepts him back in. He cost them two contending seasons because of his own stupidity. Landeskog has been dying to play for two years. Val doesn't have to have knee cartilage transplanted into his f***ing knee and rehab for 12 months but he goes on his cocaine binge. I cannot see any way this core allows him to set foot in that locker room again.

What about a combination of the following?

A) Val won't agree to contract termination
B) Owner won't buy him out
C) Other team's don't have $6.125M in cap space in November and Avs can't take any back
D) Avs don't have the assets to involve multiple teams with his remaining term
E) Val looks visibly different and has been regularly and randomly tested many times for 6 months
F) Nate thinks they should give him another shot because of how important he is to his line and the team like he always talks about

And maybe you can throw in the Avs have a really bad October and need a spark. All very possible scenarios.

Reactions: Alienblood

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I've been very negative on Landeskog's return since the beginning, so I'll say one (and just one) positive thing. Full two years to heal can do wonders to a body that was banged up. Wrestlers who've had to retire due to life-threatening injuries have miracously returned years later because that time not pushing their bodies let them heal up.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Can the Avs trade Nuke today or do they have to wait for the 6 months?
They have to wait, he's suspended so his contract is ours until November. If he is cleared to return.

What is not clear is this: if he flunks his rehab (gets tested and is still using) does that give the Avs a clean out from his contract?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He's handicapped the team for 3 seasons. Take the name out of the equation and look at objectively. If his name wasn't Landeskog, I guarantee there would be a different tune being sung.
I mean it’s not like he’s out due to his own actions ala Nuke. Dude got the flukiest injury and potentially sacrificed his knee to win the cup in 22. It sucks that he’s been out the last two years, but he’s going through a brand new surgery for NHL players…

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
How many players in the NHL have been injured going on a 3rd straight season?

It's one thing to be out for a year, it's a completely different thing to be out possibly 3. I'd argue he is way off track, he was supposed to be back at end of year one and now we are moving onto year 3. I get he wants to play and is doing the right things to try and make it happen, but there is still a good chance it doesn't happen.

At some point he is going to have to make a tough decision if he can't go. I hope that if he isn't right by December he does the right thing of either LTIR retires or straight up retire. We can't continue to play the maybe game with 7M. You can't put yourself at that disadvantage in today's NHL. 7M goes a long way towards some much needed players.
My dude, all you’re doing is arguing in bad faith.

Why do you continue to leave out/ignore the fact that this is his second surgery. The first one didn’t work like he and the medical team thought. The original surgery he was supposed to be return that year. It didn’t work out, but the reason they didn’t spend his cap hit was because the original plan was him returning.

The second surgery he had is the one he’s currently rehabbing from, and had just recently passed the 12mo mark of his recovery timeline.

You’ve really jumped the shark here.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I mean it’s not like he’s out due to his own actions ala Nuke. Dude got the flukiest injury and potentially sacrificed his knee to win the cup in 22. It sucks that he’s been out the last two years, but he’s going through a brand new surgery for NHL players…
Correct and I'm not arguing anything you are saying. But I can still guarantee the tune would be different if it was a different player. Since it's Landy he is getting extreme leeway from people in here and even CMac admitted it yesterday.

People love Landy and are putting on blinders to a completely f***ed situation, which I fully understand is out of his control, still doesn't mean it's not f***ed. It has had a large toll on the on ice product for now maybe 3 years right in the middle of prime 29 and 8.

Don't even get me started on Nuke, I've been very vocal on how f***ed his situation is. Far worse than this. I'm not even comparing the two.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What about a combination of the following?

A) Val won't agree to contract termination
B) Owner won't buy him out
C) Other team's don't have $6.125M in cap space in November and Avs can't take any back
D) Avs don't have the assets to involve multiple teams with his remaining term
E) Val looks visibly different and has been regularly and randomly tested many times for 6 months
F) Nate thinks they should give him another shot because of how important he is to his line and the team like he always talks about

And maybe you can throw in the Avs have a really bad October and need a spark. All very possible scenarios.
You forgot:

G) Team having to pick between a ~3M cap penalty for many years or 6M cap hit and having Val.

For 3M extra you get a first liner who is either going to be fine or is going phase 4 and disappears from your payroll.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
My dude, all you’re doing is arguing in bad faith.

Why do you continue to leave out/ignore the fact that this is his second surgery. The first one didn’t work like he and the medical team thought. The original surgery he was supposed to be return that year. It didn’t work out, but the reason they didn’t spend his cap hit was because the original plan was him returning.

The second surgery he had is the one he’s currently rehabbing from, and had just recently passed the 12mo mark of his recovery timeline.

You’ve really jumped the shark here.
Am I? I fully get that there was a 2nd surgery, I'm not stupid. That doesn't really change the fact that the original timeline back in July 2022 was 10-12 months on the original diagnosis. It's now been and 2nd surgery later, 22 months and counting. The timeline of the injury doesn't magically start over because he has a 2nd surgery. Can't just simply ignore the first 10 months of the injury because he had a 2nd surgery. It's all one timeline.

I want Landy back playing as much as anyone, even though you seem to think I don't or that I have some vendetta against him, I don't. Used to give him crap but he proved me wrong and I haven't said a word since. He's an important player who has a big salary.

Or I want him to retire in some fashion so that there is closure. He can't keep doing the maybe game, it's simply not fair to the rest of the team. 7M needs to be used on players that can help the on ice product. If that's Landy great if not it needs to be someone else.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Am I? I fully get that there was a 2nd surgery, I'm not stupid. That doesn't really change the fact that the original timeline back in July 2022 was 10-12 months on the original diagnosis. It's now been and 2nd surgery later, 22 months and counting. The timeline of the injury doesn't magically start over because he has a 2nd surgery. Can't just simply ignore the first 10 months of the injury because he had a 2nd surgery. It's all one timeline.

I want Landy back playing as much as anyone, even though you seem to think I don't or that I have some vendetta against him, I don't. Used to give him crap but he proved me wrong and I haven't said a word since. He's an important player who has a big salary.

Or I want him to retire in some fashion so that there is closure. He can't keep doing the maybe game, it's simply not fair to the rest of the team. 7M needs to be used on players that can help the on ice product. If that's Landy great if not it needs to be someone else.
The timeline absolutely starts over because he had a second f***ing procedure. JFC, it's not that hard.

You don't get 1 surgery, and when it doesn't work out you get a second one and are told "Your timeline is 12-16 months, but guess what? Since you've already been out for 10 months, you get that as an accrued credit on your timeline for this surgery! So you're really only looking at at 2-6 months out!"

It starts over. To even try and argue otherwise is flat-out dumb.

He had the first surgery, it didn't work. It happens, such is life. In fact you could actually argue all the way back to the fact that his cleanup surgery/whatever he had done that ended his 2021-22 regular season was the kickstart of all of this. Perhaps if they'd done a proper procedure then, this might've been avoided. However, the decision was made to clean it up (whatever "it" was) and he'd come back for the playoffs. I'd say given what ensued, he's not unhappy with it.

However, as we saw, he took no morning skates and participated in 0 practices. Everything took its toll. So he got the first surgery recommended, because it was believed it would fix the issue and not be something deemed "risky" (due to the limited number of athletes in general that have had knee cartilage replacement surgery), and it would have a shorter recovery timeline. But it didn't work out. So he had to get the more risky one that carries a longer recovery period.

I know you know all of this, but it seems like you want to forget it so that you can deem Landeskog "selfish" for wanting to continue his career because he's been told by Doctors that he should be able to.

He's not doing a "maybe game". He's still on track to return within the pre-determined timeline that was given to him. I don't know where you're getting lost at, but you're clearly getting lost somewhere along the way to being made at Gabe Landeskog for yet another dumbass reason.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Makes a ton of sense about Lehkonen.

That Stars series was some of the worst hockey he’s played as an Av. Totally excusable with a shoulder requiring surgery though.

Honestly, what shit luck for the Avs in that second round. Nichushkin and Drouin being out at different points. Lehkonen hurt. OC out earlier, it starts eroding the depth in a hurry.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My dudes… it’s nearing Memorial Day weekend. Ditch work, go outside, touch some grass, get some sun on that perineum.
Some of us CAN'T ditch work, because we're monitoring our department inboxes, and these faculty members suddenly remembered they want to apply for grant money are are slamming this inbox demanding help to meet an impossible deadline.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The timeline absolutely starts over because he had a second f***ing procedure. JFC, it's not that hard.

You don't get 1 surgery, and when it doesn't work out you get a second one and are told "Your timeline is 12-16 months, but guess what? Since you've already been out for 10 months, you get that as an accrued credit on your timeline for this surgery! So you're really only looking at at 2-6 months out!"

It starts over. To even try and argue otherwise is flat-out dumb.

He had the first surgery, it didn't work. It happens, such is life. In fact you could actually argue all the way back to the fact that his cleanup surgery/whatever he had done that ended his 2021-22 regular season was the kickstart of all of this. Perhaps if they'd done a proper procedure then, this might've been avoided. However, the decision was made to clean it up (whatever "it" was) and he'd come back for the playoffs. I'd say given what ensued, he's not unhappy with it.

However, as we saw, he took no morning skates and participated in 0 practices. Everything took its toll. So he got the first surgery recommended, because it was believed it would fix the issue and not be something deemed "risky" (due to the limited number of athletes in general that have had knee cartilage replacement surgery), and it would have a shorter recovery timeline. But it didn't work out. So he had to get the more risky one that carries a longer recovery period.

I know you know all of this, but it seems like you want to forget it so that you can deem Landeskog "selfish" for wanting to continue his career because he's been told by Doctors that he should be able to.

He's not doing a "maybe game". He's still on track to return within the pre-determined timeline that was given to him. I don't know where you're getting lost at, but you're clearly getting lost somewhere along the way to being made at Gabe Landeskog for yet another dumbass reason.
There is one timeline, it's one injury that has lasted 22 months, end of discussion. Getting a 2nd surgery doesn't magically make the first 10 months disappear, it just altered the potential end point.

No matter what way you want to slice the timeline, the facts remain the same. Has it dragged into 2 seasons, yes. Is it going to effect a 3rd, yes based on the comments made the other day he might not be ready for training camp or the start of the year. Does him not knowing negatively effect the team, yes albeit out of his control still negatively effects the team of he can't play. Is this the 3rd time that it's negatively effecting the team, yes. Is Gabe asking a lot of his teammates and the organization to continue waiting on a maybe, yes. Gabe has to know that him not playing or going on LTIR is negatively impacting the team, so I hope he's right about him being able to play and is not just a 5% hope.

I hope for everyone's sake he can play day 1 next season, and everything becomes a mute point. We'll see how it's handled, the last thing this team needs is another season of Landeskog question marks.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There is one timeline, it's one injury that has lasted 22 months, end of discussion. Getting a 2nd surgery doesn't magically make the first 10 months disappear, it just altered the potential end point.

No matter what way you want to slice the timeline, the facts remain the same. Has it dragged into 2 seasons, yes. Is it going to effect a 3rd, yes based on the comments made the other day he might not be ready for training camp or the start of the year. Does him not knowing negatively effect the team, yes albeit out of his control still negatively effects the team of he can't play. Is this the 3rd time that it's negatively effecting the team, yes. Is Gabe asking a lot of his teammates and the organization to continue waiting on a maybe, yes. Gabe has to know that him not playing or going on LTIR is negatively impacting the team, so I hope he's right about him being able to play and is not just a 5% hope.

I hope for everyone's sake he can play day 1 next season, and everything becomes a mute point. We'll see how it's handled, the last thing this team needs is another season of Landeskog question marks.
It’s moo point.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
But I was told the Avs were playing the LTIR game and that they timed the surgery so he could be back for the playoffs?

Was I lied to?!
It's a long con. We are letting Landeskog marinate and val doing so much coke he unlocks a god mode code for a 2026 16-0 cup

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

I think Landy knows there is a good chance he will never play and likes staying home and watching his kids grow. LTIR and it isn't a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad