News Article: MacArthur sounds off on former coach Carlyle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Milan the God*

Wow. Grabovski did as well.

I'm glad we have a great coach like Paul MacLean who gets great feedback from all the players. Really puts things into perspective.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
MacArthur was incredible last night. Set up game winner, burned the defense, had a breakaway, made some great defensive backchecks.

The guy looks perfect on that 2nd line.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
He's seen what a real coaching staff looks like. Can't blame him.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
LAFFS players will always be LAFFS players untell they come to the SENS. Then they learn to make beautiful passes like Clarky did last night. :)

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Never knew it was a coaches job to be the players Friend as well. As long as he gets the job done, no one will say anything.

In saying that though, it hasn't stopped players like Lupul and Kessel signing long extensions with the team...

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Never knew it was a coaches job to be the players Friend as well. As long as he gets the job done, no one will say anything.

In saying that though, it hasn't stopped players like Lupul and Kessel signing long extensions with the team...

A coaches job is to get the most out of his team. Big part of coaching is communicating with players at any sport and any level. Seems Caryle lacked communication with several players. Hope Gardnier works out for you guys, if not you know who to blame.

It's hard to argue Caryle didn't get the most out of his players because they had some success last year. My worry would be long term. when you have guys coming out like this you have to wonder if he will lose the locker room at some point.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

n501449259_677405_2022.jpg

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013

Kessel and Lupul are at stages where they can live with this kind of stuff. Established players who've been through it before with coaches in the NHL. It's the Kadris, Gardiners and Fransons the Leafs should be worrying about.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You guys realize, that one of your prize possessions, Bobby Ryan, didn't like Carlyle's approach at first, however he to this day thanks Carlyle for the player he became.

JVR completely changed his game under Carlyle, and he's playing the best hockey of his career. Add Franson to the list as well.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
A coaches job is to get the most out of his team. Big part of coaching is communicating with players at any sport and any level. Seems Caryle lacked communication with several players. Hope Gardnier works out for you guys, if not you know who to blame.

It's hard to argue Caryle didn't get the most out of his players because they had some success last year. My worry would be long term. when you have guys coming out like this you have to wonder if he will lose the locker room at some point.

Every coach as a 'shelf life'.

R2010

May 23, 2011
You guys realize, that one of your prize possessions, Bobby Ryan, didn't like Carlyle's approach at first, however he to this day thanks Carlyle for the player he became.

JVR completely changed his game under Carlyle, and he's playing the best hockey of his career. Add Franson to the list as well.

It is like anything in life - bosses, teachers, profs... certain people need communication on both the positive and negative things. I know myself that I never dealt well with coaching styles like Randy but everyone is different. My philosophy is that you can be frank and honest without being a *****. In fact I think it is easier to make improvements in your life if the criticisms you receive are from people who you have good communication with.

Milan the God*

Carlyle just isn't a great coach. There's no need to get offended here. We've had plenty of poor coaches, such as Craig Hartsburgh, Cory Clouston and John Paddock. Good thing we've found a keeper in MacLean.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Carlyle just isn't a great coach. There's no need to get offended here. We've had plenty of poor coaches, such as Craig Hartsburgh, Cory Clouston and John Paddock. Good thing we've found a keeper in MacLean.

He's 2nd in all active coaches in playoff winning percentage.

He's 9th in points per-game(team wise) as an active coach, would be 6th had he not coached that terrible Leafs team when he first arrived(when he replaced Wilson).

Plus a cup to boot, not that great though.

Milan the God*

He's 9th in points per-game(team wise) as an active coach, would be 6th had he not coached that terrible Leafs team when he first arrived(when he replaced Wilson).

He had a really good team in Anaheim

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

You're wasting your time. The hate for all things Leafs on this board is nearing obsession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad