Proposal: M.Michalek and Hunwick for Dennis Wideman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Saves the Flames 50k on the cap (big whoop I know), provides a winger who could provide some offensive pop (especially if Bennett is playing 2C) and a depth defenseman.

Thoughts?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Don't see why the leafs would be interested at all. Hunwick is a pretty decent bottom pair guy. I don't know anything about Michalek other than he's a salary dump though.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Anything to get out from Widemans cloud. He will help the Leafs tank for Liljegrin with all the extra penalties he would get

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Dennis Wideman should not be allowed to even play hockey unless that ref steps back on the ice again; which he might not thanks to this ****ing *******.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'd do it just to get hunwick away from rielly. He plays terrible on the top pairing, and I'm afraid babcock might like him a bit to much. Wideman isn't so bad, and can play on the third pair with carrick/polak

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Dennis Wideman isn't an NHL defenceman. I can't think of a guy who has such a differential in icetime relative to his quality as a player. Only Kris Russell is probably worse in this respect. And they are both amongst the worst defencemen in the league bar none.

Hunwick is a poor player, but not quite as bad as those two.

So it's one bad defenceman for an awful defenceman + salary dump.

Yeah, I'm on board.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
We have a few hunwicks of our own, no thank you.

We don't need a michalek, no thanks.

We only have two right hand d and one is Wideman, who isn't as bad as people say, especially if used mostly as a pp player. Getting rid of him is to get rid of his cap hit, yet we save nothing here and gain nothing??

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I would do it for Michalek. For 40 ish games he gives up better depth in our top 9, and for the other 40 we can try out some younger guys.

I don't want Hunwick back though particularly.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
We only have two right hand d and one is Wideman, who isn't as bad as people say, especially if used mostly as a pp player.

He's not going to be used on the PP this year when the refs refuse to call a penalty in favour of the Flames.:laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's not going to be used on the PP this year when the refs refuse to call a penalty in favour of the Flames.:laugh:

Not only that but Brodie plays the right side and Hamilton is a right handed shot.

Hunwick played a bit of the right side for the Rangers too.

I think if the deal went through, neither fan base is up in arms thinking they got ripped off, it's just a whole lot of "meh"

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

I really hope that was just a statistical blip last year. Before and after the Wideman suspension our penalty minutes per game went up like 40%.

Hopefully the refs remain professional.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
If Calgary throws in a 3rd. I'd do it. I really don't like hunwick though so you could offer almost anything for him and I'd agree. It's just both our guys contracts are over after this yr. So we can augment our team better next yr.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
He has family in Toronto (at the very least a brother), some maybe there is some incentive.

At the very least...it isn't getting crapped on by either fan base too much.
no one is waiving a NMC to join the worst team in the league.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
no one is waiving a NMC to join the worst team in the league.

uh....Milan Michalek left Ottawa to join the Leafs? (Waived his NTC)

I'm sure others could add other examples if they cared to. Either way, let's not pretend you know what is going on in Dennis Wideman's head and focus on the actual trade talk on here (a rarity in this section I know).

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
uh....Milan Michalek left Ottawa to join the Leafs? (Waived his NTC)

I'm sure others could add other examples if they cared to. Either way, let's not pretend you know what is going on in Dennis Wideman's head and focus on the actual trade talk on here (a rarity in this section I know).
Actually Wideman made it pretty clear he's not happy with the media, Toronto is the last place he will want to go if he wants to move on from last season. And anyone who puts one iota of thought into it would agree completely. And do we know for sure Michalek waived to go to the Leafs? His NTC is modified if he was dealt to Toronto I would wager either they weren't on his no trade list, or he just wanted out of Ottawa that badly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad