LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
This is what I want you to provide evidence for because this didn't happen.

I'm really starting to doubt you even watched the games, maybe its you that needs to watch the tape? If he was "extremely lazy on line changes and bad defensively" it shouldn't be too hard for you to provide some examples of shifts where this happened, right?

How often can you find highlights of random shifts of a player making line changes? I didn't really see many Finland games but asking for that kind of evidence is kind of silly.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd expect the Jets team to win Finnish team pretty easily.
Pokka AHL, Lindell AHL, Lepisto KHL, Jokipakka 3rd pairing NHL, pretty pathetic blueline.

He's going to enjoy going to a team where's a defense that can move the puck, Buff, Trouba, Morrissey, Enstrom is going to feel like a dream blueline for him after this tourney.

It felt like all our blueline did in this tourney was turn the puck over and have troubles doing anything positive.

Totally. The Finns (lets be honest) played terribly. Laine did look unengaged today. Excited to see him next week if he suits up for preseason.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
From this tourney compared to the past, i never noticed how quick his hands were. They didn't seem to stand out before as much but they were this tourney. His slapper while good was really hard to get off. It seemed to get blocked a lot or miss or w/e which was really frustrating to see. And lastly i liked his speed. It wasn't great or bad it was good though, to see Laine move well against this level of competition is nice to see. All in all a decent showing from Laine, the team was bad so it makes sense why that passed down to Laine but he had some nice individual plays, showed off his skill and play more then his shot. I would like Laine to work on getting his shot through traffic and his skating the most going forward. oh also his defensive play was pretty decent, he can handle himself in his own zone from what i saw which was nice to see.

SampoHoitaa

Jan 7, 2013
Why is there always an excuse for him anytime he plays poorly ? He sucked period. The entire team did to be fair to him. For a guy that said he's going to be better than Ovi in 5 years he played ridiculously bad. He failed the eye test and the numbers test.He needs to work on his effort and compete level, he looks way to complacent out there. That's really the only thing i don't like about his game. He has the talent but the dude did not apply himself the best he could.

This.

I agree 100%. He never really battled in the boards and seemed uninterested which is very weird to me. He didn't look that soft in Liiga playoffs or in the WJC. Kid seems to have good attitude about improving himself so it's hard for me to call it lazyness but that sure is what it looked like to me. No heart in the corner battles I have to say. Maybe Granlund could give him some advice on that.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Very lackluster WCH performance.

Was expecting more.

He has a great skill set but I'm not sure he has the elite speed that would bring him to the very elite level a lot of fanboys have him pegged at.

Agreed.

Was expecting more.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Laine was the youngest player to play in a Canada/World Cup. The only 18 year old in the WC. For anyone to be disappointed in his play, one must believe he is a pretty good prospect. So if their are any posts that say they are disappointed or I expect more. I take it as an admission of agreeing what most Laine fans have started to say since the WJC/Liiga playoffs/WHC. It may be camouflaged as anti hype posts, but to truly be disappointed or to have truly say one expected more, one would have to have a high regard for Laine. Thus I am happy to see we are already at post 100+ in Laine #14 thread just hours after #13 ended.

Now for me, I am not surprised how Laine played this tournament. When everyone from Koivu to Barkov to Rinne underperformed for Team Finland. To me this has more to do with the team, rather than the player. Laine was more good than bad this tournament given the relation to how much the players underperformed for Team Finland. I don't subscribed that all the players of Team Finland are truly this bad. Thus I am more inclined to put a line through these performances.

Could Laine have played better, yes, we have seen him do so. Was he in a good position to succeed. Well I think the answer to that is obvious. Should we expected more from him given what he had accomplished this year already, yes. But when you are 18, in NA playing for the first time, and when the entire team is not gelling. Maybe this was too much to expect and it was too much to overcome for even great talents like a Laine.

In the end, I believe Laine will benefit greatly from this experience. You just can't put into context how much these games will help his development. Sometimes the best life experience is one where you encounter adversity. Laine got this this tournament, He has not tasted defeat often this year. It happens to the best of players. Laine may not have been lights out this tournament, but I firmly believe he came out of this tournament a better player. One where he is now ready to tackle earning a spot on the Jets this season. I look forward to his continuing journey what I believe will soon occur, to be a star player in the NHL.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Laine was the youngest player to play in a Canada/World Cup. The only 18 year old in the WC. For anyone to be disappointed in his play, one must believe he is a pretty good prospect. So if their are any posts that say they are disappointed or I expect more. I take it as an admission of agreeing what most Laine fans have started to say since the WJC/Liiga playoffs/WHC. It may be camouflaged as anti hype posts, but to truly be disappointed or to have truly say one expected more, one would have to have a high regard for Laine. Thus I am happy to see we are already at post 100+ in Laine #14 thread just hours after #13 ended.

Now for me, I am not surprised how Laine played this tournament. When everyone from Koivu to Barkov to Rinne underperformed for Team Finland. To me this has more to do with the team, rather than the player. Laine was more good than bad this tournament given the relation to how much the players underperformed for Team Finland. I don't subscribed that all the players of Team Finland are truly this bad. Thus I am more inclined to put a line through these performances.

Could Laine have played better, yes, we have seen him do so. Was he in a good position to succeed. Well I think the answer to that is obvious. Should we expected more from him given what he had accomplished this year already, yes. But when you are 18, in NA playing for the first time, and when the entire team is not gelling. Maybe this was too much to expect and it was too much to overcome for even great talents like a Laine.

In the end, I believe Laine will benefit greatly from this experience. You just can't put into context how much these games will help his development. Sometimes the best life experience is one where you encounter adversity. Laine got this this tournament, He has not tasted defeat often this year. It happens to the best of players. Laine may not have been lights out this tournament, but I firmly believe he came out of this tournament a better player. One where he is now ready to tackle earning a spot on the Jets this season. I look forward to his continuing journey what I believe will soon occur, to be a star player in the NHL.

I'm sure TN isn't overly concerned with the lack of offence courtesy of Laine during this tourney. Hell, the entire team combined for a whopping 1 goal in 180 minutes of play. In fact, I'm certain TN is happy the WC has ended for Laine so he can (without injury) participate in their entire training camp.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Random insults ? like what ? Saying Laine under performed and played terrible isnt an insult it's criticism. Back them up how ? By saying he had 0 points and was a -1 in the tourney ? Is that enough back up for you ? And being the best forward on the worst team isn't necessarily a good thing. I wonder if you would feel the same about Laine if he wasn't a Winnipeg prospect.

First of all, "You used +/- so your opinion is irrelevant".

Second, that one -1 is during 6v5 without goalie and was scored against an empty net. It's not a relevant -1. Which you would know if you actually watched the games instead of only stat watching. Laine was not scored a single goal against in 5v5 all tournament.

Third, here's the +/- of every forward on the team:

Laine -1
Barkov -1
Aho -1

Granlund -4
Koivu -3
Donskoi -1

Jokinen -3
Filppula -3
Komarov -1

Korpikoski -1
Lehterä -1
Teräväinen -1
Haula -1

So his +/- is shared best on the team anyway. Shared with a lot fewer players if you remove the goal against on the empty net(Only Barkov?). Granlund who many said played great(Which I've mostly disagreed with due to his lacking basic game) has the worst +/- on the team.

Nice work "backing it up".

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Random insults ? like what ? Saying Laine under performed and played terrible isnt an insult it's criticism. Back them up how ? By saying he had 0 points and was a -1 in the tourney ? Is that enough back up for you ? And being the best forward on the worst team isn't necessarily a good thing. I wonder if you would feel the same about Laine if he wasn't a Winnipeg prospect.

I wonder if you'd feel the same about Laine if you weren't a Toronto fan. Biases go both ways.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

To be fair, your insistence on relentlessly posting his "unprecedented" resume and claiming that he is a completely unique prospect and the most decorated euro prospect in history
Probably raised people's expectations way higher then the ones you claim to have after the fact

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
First of all, "You used +/- so your opinion is irrelevant".

Second, that one -1 is during 6v5 without goalie and was scored against an empty net. It's not a relevant -1. Which you would know if you actually watched the games instead of only stat watching. Laine was not scored a single goal against in 5v5 all tournament.

Third, here's the +/- of every forward on the team:

Laine -1
Barkov -1
Aho -1

Granlund -4
Koivu -3
Donskoi -1

Jokinen -3
Filppula -3
Komarov -1

Korpikoski -1
Lehterä -1
Teräväinen -1
Haula -1

So his +/- is shared best on the team anyway. Shared with a lot fewer players if you remove the goal against on the empty net(Only Barkov?). Granlund who many said played great(Which I've mostly disagreed with due to his lacking basic game) has the worst +/- on the team.

Nice work "backing it up".

Thanks for noticing the sarcasm :handclap:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I wonder if you'd feel the same about Laine if you weren't a Toronto fan. Biases go both ways.

And i can tell you i would. If tomorrow he starts playing better defensively, playing with more heart, converting chances and winning battles i'll tell you that he played well. People get too defensive if you critique a player. The entire Finland team played poorly it's a fact, there's nothing else to it. Go back and look at some of my posts, i called out Rielly a bunch of times for messing up and throwing bad passes but of course no one brings up anything about being biased then.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
To be fair, your insistence on relentlessly posting his "unprecedented" resume and claiming that he is a completely unique prospect and the most decorated euro prospect in history
Probably raised people's expectations way higher then the ones you claim to have after the fact

Three decent games at the top of his team in corsi, shots, +/- etc and he's a bust? You ARE crazy. 18 y/o. First REAL experience on small ice. An awful Finnish squad to play with. You all sound silly. Give the kid half a season, let alone 6 games against THE BEST HOCKEY PLAYERS ON THE PLANET before he even plays 1 NHL game.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't think he would have made it. Not sure he fit with the speed game they tried to promote.

That's exactly the type of game that fits him.

The boards boards boards garbage Finns used isn't good for him at all. Nor is it good for Finns in general. Finns played the type of a game that brings their disadvantages out... But well, I guess it's enough about coaching for now.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Well the anti hype is in full force now. I wonder if the Jets are thinking of sending him back to Finland in hopes he can recover his abilities and be considered a legit prospect again .

Yeah he's bust for the NHL for now. I bet the Jest are really kicking themselves on passing Dubois, who has not failed at this level.

It's back to LeKi for Patrik.

uusi_logo.png

Hopefully by badgering there a couple of years he will yet make it mushroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad