LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
They really need to stop using Myers& Buff as the shooters, them trying to shoot past 3 players is not going to work.

They have one of the best shooters in the league yet they don't use him, and it's not even because he doesn't have space.
He's open constantly.

To me it looked like he just wasn't asserting himself, he was deferring to the vets. An experienced guy would of been slamming his stick on the ice calling for the pass when Buff was winding up.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The guy seems to rarely even have the puck on ES, pretty hard to score when you don't have the puck to shoot. Jets might be better off playing him on the 3rd line against weaker competition than with Scheifele.

I think he looks fine out there. I'd wager the Jets are going to slot him to 1st and 2nd line on rotation.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
To me it looked like he just wasn't asserting himself, he was deferring to the vets. An experienced guy would of been slamming his stick on the ice calling for the pass when Buff was winding up.

Are you watching the game games? :huh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

If you think that I doubt you've been watching the games.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
I think he looks fine out there. I'd wager the Jets are going to slot him to 1st and 2nd line on rotation.

Did he even have a single shot attempt at 5on5 tonight? It didn't seem like he did to me, he still needs time to adjust to NA ice I guess.

cam7aylor

Jan 26, 2016
as a jets fan its painful watching laine open time and time again on the PP only for buff/myers to shoot wide or be blocked and have the play die.

maybe if we switch laine to defense we can actually watch that shot :laugh:

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
as a jets fan its painful watching laine open time and time again on the PP only for buff/myers to shoot wide or be blocked and have the play die.

I actually think he would of made a much better defenseman than a forward, his skating wouldn't of been as detrimental since he has the size and reach.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I actually think he would of made a much better defenseman than a forward, his skating wouldn't of been as detrimental since he has the size and reach.

His skating is fine, what are you talking about? He suffers from "big man syndrome", he doesn't look like he's skating fast but he's moving pretty quickly.

I've been getting increasingly pissed off at the Jets' usage of his talents. He's playing on the right wing which he admittedly doesn't like to do and the passes to him on the PP are either non-existent or terrible. Morrissey almost got him a seam pass on the PP but it was slightly tipped.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'm entirely sure that there is a portion of posters on these Laine threads who will do anything to pile on the guy. These same people try to casually claim "just calling it like I see it". Well, if you are a hockey fan and watched the games there's no way to see Laine's skating as a detrimental unless you want to see it that way.

I know other rookies get the same hate, but not in the same amounts as Laine does. And it always, without a fault, comes from one source.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm entirely sure that there is a portion of posters on these Laine threads who will do anything to pile on the guy. These same people try to casually claim "just calling it like I see it". Well, if you are a hockey fan and watched the games there's no way to see Laine's skating as a detrimental unless you want to see it that way.

I know other rookies get the same hate, but not in the same amounts as Laine does. And it always, without a fault, comes from one source.

You realize that a poster just called a kid with 3 games in the nhl one of the best shooters in the league right? It goes both ways. The over reaction for him are based on ridiculous fans. I'm not piling on him. But when people call him the best in the league and are mad when vets are shooting instead of him it gets foolish. You wonder why people expect a lot?

One of the best shooters in the league?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
You realize that a poster just called a kid with 3 games in the nhl one of the best shooters in the league right? It goes both ways. The over reaction for him are based on ridiculous fans. I'm not piling on him. But when people call him the best in the league and are mad when vets are shooting instead of him it gets foolish. You wonder why people expect a lot?

Of course he has insane fans. Every promising prospect/rookie has. But it's not nearly as annoying/childish as the "just calling it like I see it" crowd coming in to thread dedicated for the guy to pile on him.

I don't think Laine is even close to ready, but he's still playing responsible hockey. His skating has been enough and he seems to be finding his place in the team. These clever little remarks about his "detrimental" skating and such are just intentional little jabs to sidetrack the discussion. If Laine has a guy propping him over the top in his thread, why do you care? Do like the rest of us. Ignore the posters. The biggest reason why Laine threads are unreadable at times are the guys coming in here and throwing mindless jabs at him for no reason.

And no, he's not even close to being on of the best shooters in the NHL. He's got a great arsenal, but he's not near the point where he can utilize his shooting in a way the best can.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Oh its very obvious people come on here just to rag on the guy.

This is like 14 threads on him and I guarentee over 50% of the comments are rival fans ragging on him. I really don't get why non fans of the Jets love the Laine thread to come up with anything to rag on him.

Oh well, it's expected. Jets have an unreal young player and will be a force for years

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Who's said he's the best in the league?
These threads are full of posters who won't say anything positive, no matter what.

How is calling him one of the best shooters overrating him, have you not listened to anyone talk about his shot or have you completely refused to watch him shoot?

If you'd watch the games you'd see that the frustration towards those vets is that they are trying to shoot through 3-4 players and have scored 0 goals by doing that. Their powerplay has been a mess and guess who has the only powerplay goal on that team?
They've won 1 game out of 3, guess who was a key reason for that W?
But I guess they should just keep doing things that don't work just because Laine is a rookie? Now that sounds crazy.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Of course he has insane fans. Every promising prospect/rookie has. But it's not nearly as annoying/childish as the "just calling it like I see it" crowd coming in to thread dedicated for the guy to pile on him.

I don't think Laine is even close to ready, but he's still playing responsible hockey. His skating has been enough and he seems to be finding his place in the team. These clever little remarks about his "detrimental" skating and such are just intentional little jabs to sidetrack the discussion. If Laine has a guy propping him over the top in his thread, why do you care? Do like the rest of us. Ignore the posters. The biggest reason why Laine threads are unreadable at times are the guys coming in here and throwing mindless jabs at him for no reason.

And no, he's not even close to being on of the best shooters in the NHL. He's got a great arsenal, but he's not near the point where he can utilize his shooting in a way the best can.
We had a bunch of guys like that in the Marner thread last year, it is quite frustrating. I'll admit Laine gets it worse. There's a difference between actually discussing things and blowing tiny sample sizes out of proportion. That is done in the Laine thread both ways all the time. Does he have flaws, absolutely, but very few rookies enter the league without them. I didn't see tonights game, so I'll refrain from commenting on how he played, but if there is an open Laine to get him a one-timer on the PP it is just a dumb hockey play not to get him the puck.

I've obviously had my disagreements in here (which I have no interest in revisiting).

From what I have seen from Laine so far is pretty much what I expected. He's a good skater once he gets going, but cleaning up his first 3 strides is important. He could be more agile, but at 6'4 that is a difficult task. As he add's strength he should start to drive the net more to get more garbage goals. He has a high-enough IQ to realize this, but seems tentative. With his current skill set and with slight improvement he can pretty easily be a 30 to 35 goal scorer. If he makes the realistic improvements such as adding strength and a consistent willingness to drive the crease nothing is stopping him from being a 45 to 50 goal guy. I know he'll never to an all out power guy, but if he watches some of Benn and Rick Nash who have similar frames (but obviously have filled out) and how they ragdoll defenders driving the net he will be a consistent Richard candidate. When driving the net priorly he seems to like going wide then driving across goal line, which is much easier to do on big ice, in the NHL the more effective move tends is trying to get the inside move on the defender inbetween the blue line and the hashmarks, and hold the defender off to the outside. If Laine can get that down along with his wrist shot he'll rack up a lot of goals.

He has a ridiculous tool kit to work with. It will be interesting to see how he can expand his game.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Perreault might be best centering Laine and someone on the right wing who can give passes. I imagine people would be pissed also if Ovy's and Stammer's shot were not used on the powerplay.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
His 5on5 game is baad. Maurice should put him on third line to play against weaker D pairs.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Laine sucks lets face it. Jets should put him on waivers while they still have a chance. Oh wait............. I dont think he is waiver eligible.

Ok in that case he DOESNT suck. Give him more time to develop. BUT................if after 3 years he still sucks ............then put him on waivers. :nod:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
We had a bunch of guys like that in the Marner thread last year, it is quite frustrating. I'll admit Laine gets it worse. There's a difference between actually discussing things and blowing tiny sample sizes out of proportion. That is done in the Laine thread both ways all the time. Does he have flaws, absolutely, but very few rookies enter the league without them. I didn't see tonights game, so I'll refrain from commenting on how he played, but if there is an open Laine to get him a one-timer on the PP it is just a dumb hockey play not to get him the puck.

I've obviously had my disagreements in here (which I have no interest in revisiting).

I'm assuming those Marner haters aren't as loud anymore? :laugh:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Myers shouldn't even be on the PP. He's just bad at it. Put Enstrom out there in that point spot and I can guarantee that he can get Laine a few good passes in his sweet spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad