LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't have point total I want or expect Laine to reach, the X factor is what I hope ke keeps up.

The feeling that the crowd wants him on the ice, because a goal could happen. The feeling that with a minute to go you want Laine there, on the ice to chase the draw. The roar we saw on opening night when he scored.

If he retains that, it needs a few goals to keep it up, then he's a superstar, sells tickets in any town. "Gotta see the Jets game, they got Laine guy.."
Patrik is someone who excites folks, makes the game entertaining.

Points wise, regularly enough that he establishes himself in top 6 and teams genuinely look out for him. Eg. wouldnt care if he doesnt score on PP if entire Blackhawks PK shifts to block Laines shots..

He definitely is one of the most terrifying players on pp. I remember back to wjc and i cringed every time he was in the offensive zone. That's why I started watching him closely. He is one of the few that seem to have that look about him. I don't know what it is but he has the ability to make the defensive team hold their breath.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
20 would be good, 15 would be fine but under 10 would not be so good.:)

And 23 is instant Calder thank you very much.

People have no clue how much rookies can score in the NHL.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
People have no clue how much rookies can score in the NHL.

After deep statistical analysis, fact checking and scouring dusty archives of record books.. I am fairly certain, but this by no means anything more than personal opinion, that they can score somewhere between 0 and 76 goals..
Or did you mean points? :D

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Solid game yesterday, didn't excactly dominate or anything but he was out there and didn't look out of place in the 1st line. Not really a great game for the Jets in overall even though it once again became quite even scoring wise. I was mostly impressed with Laine's passing more than anything, he really showed how well he can see the ice.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His hands are good. They are not unreal. His reach gives him the ability to maximize the effectiveness of his hands, however. He can make a pretty average move and still beat a defenceman because he can pull the puck away from danger so quickly. He'll get better and better at using that reach (and his body positioning) which is when he'll be super dangerous every time he's on the ice.

I think were arguing the same thing... The fact that he can handle the puck so well with such a long stick is a sign of a player that has elite puck handling ability. Its easy to dangle with a short stick.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
3rd highest forward TOI after Wheeler/Scheifele in the Wild game.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
A nice game from Laine. Hustled back to defend like he was going for Selke in the first and back checked the puck back multiple times. Didn't look out of place, which I am glad for, as I hope he will stay on the 1st line. It's a great opportunity to refine his game against good opponents, with good support.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Even when Laine does not contribute offensively, I was impressed by his defensive game. Like most Finnish developed players, they are conscientious 200 ft players. I am pretty sure Maurice was quoted as saying the same thing not too long ago.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Even when Laine does not contribute offensively, I was impressed by his defensive game. Like most Finnish developed players, they are conscientious 200 ft players. I am pretty sure Maurice was quoted as saying the same thing not too long ago.

He stole the puck couple times in the neutral zone. Once from Koivu. His linemates were more like coasting. they're skating back but less effort.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
For a Jets/Thrashers team that's been around less than 20 years and has had seven Top 5 picks in that time, being the 3rd youngest to score a goal isn't that impressive. Basically middle of the pack for expected high impact draft selections by the Jets/Thrashers.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
For a Jets/Thrashers team that's been around less than 20 years and has had seven Top 5 picks in that time, being the 3rd youngest to score a goal isn't that impressive. Basically middle of the pack for expected high impact draft selections by the Jets/Thrashers.

Stefan (1st OA 1999 draft) Born Sept 16, 1980. 19 Before the season begins.
Heatley (2nd OA 2000 draft) Born Jan 21, 1981. Scored first goal Oct 19, 2001 at age 20.
Kovalchuk (1st OA 2001 draft) Born April 15th, 1983. 18 years 174 days.
Lehtonen (2nd OA 2002 draft) Goalie, self explanatory I hope.
Bogosian (3rd OA 2008 draft) Dman, Born July 15th 1990. Scored age 18 years 186 days.
E. Kane (4th OA 2009 draft) Born Aug 2, 1991. 18 years 67 days.
Laine (2nd OA 2016 draft) Born April 19, 1998. First goal 18 years, 177 days.

So yeah, only four top 5OA skaters in Thrashers/Jets 2.0 history were 18 for their NHL debut. Kovy is 4 days older than Laine respectively, but it takes him until game two to get his first goal at which he's still 3 days faster. Kane also took two games to get his first goal, but did record an assist in his first game. Bogo played 12 games before scoring his first goal in mid-January.

I did this for fun just to see if it's even remotely relevant to compare him to top 5 Atlanta/Jets 2.0 franchise picks. Seems like Kane is the only one of the 18 year olds significantly younger in his debut season than Laine to score in his first few games.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Heatley (2nd OA 2000 draft) Born Jan 21, 1981. Scored first goal Oct 19, 2001 at age 20.
Bogosian (3rd OA 2008 draft) Dman, Born July 15th 1990. Scored age 18 years 186 days.

So yeah, only 4 top 5OA skaters in Thrashers/Jets 2.0 history were 18 for their NHL debut. Kovy is 4 days older than Laine respectively, but it takes him until game two to get his first goal. Kane also took two games to get his first goal, but did record an assist in his first game. Bogo played 12 games before scoring his first goal in mid-January.

I did this for fun just to see if it's even remotely relevant to compare him to top 5 Atlanta/Jets 2.0 franchise picks. Seems like Kane is the only one of the 18 year olds significantly younger in his debut season than Laine to score in his first few games.
Heatley is a unique case, due to the old rules, he didn't enter the NHL draft til he was 19. This was changed in the 2005 CBA. Either way he spent another year at Wisc.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016

So yeah, only four top 5OA skaters in Thrashers/Jets 2.0 history were 18 for their NHL debut. Kovy is 4 days older than Laine respectively, but it takes him until game two to get his first goal at which he's still 3 days faster. Kane also took two games to get his first goal, but did record an assist in his first game. Bogo played 12 games before scoring his first goal in mid-January.

So he's the 3rd oldest to score out of four 18 year olds to debut for the Jets/Thrashers in the last 20 years? Meh. Much more impressive things Laine has done than be randomly born on a certain day.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Heatley is a unique case, due to the old rules, he didn't enter the NHL draft til he was 19. This was changed in the 2005 CBA. Either way he spent another year at Wisc.

Yep, quite a few of the players couldn't even play a game until they were 19 which makes the Thrashers/Jets 2.0 age comparison kind of weird heh.

So he's the 3rd oldest to score out of four 18 year olds to debut for the Jets/Thrashers in the last 20 years? Meh. Much more impressive things Laine has done than be randomly born on a certain day.

Agreed. It's just a random stat some guy pulled out of his bum.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He stole the puck couple times in the neutral zone. Once from Koivu. His linemates were more like coasting. they're skating back but less effort.

I watched the first 2 Jets games and my observations are Laine will not be the prototypical sniper. When people call a player a sniper, usually people think of a player that is just great at scoring goals. But does not possess a strong defensive game.

This may be a comparison that some may not understand. But I see Laine as a potential modern day Bossy type of player.

Here is the reason why I think this. When Mike Bossy came into the league. He was a gifted goal scorer out of the QJMHL. But when he played under Al Arbour for his career, to play for him you had to play both sides of the puck. He became a very good defensive player. Very underrated due to his extraordinary offensive skills out-shined that part of his game. Bossy was certainly a complete player and more.

Now players do not score 65+ goals a season as when Bossy once did. But during his time in the league he was the best pure goal scorer in the NHL. I see Laine following in the path of Bossy. A player that will lead the NHL in goalscoring, and one that is not a defensive liability, but one that is known as a complete player.

I can even see him killing PIMS one day, a part of the game where he could be dangerous at shorthanded.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Yep, quite a few of the players couldn't even play a game until they were 19 which makes the Thrashers/Jets 2.0 age comparison kind of weird heh.

Agreed. It's just a random stat some guy pulled out of his bum.

Nice that leafs fan doesnt have anything more to say, than "he's middle of a pack, coz he's born this day"

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
He's middle of the pack on some random rank for one of the youngest franchises in the league. It's the definition of unremarkable. Plenty of more interesting/impressive things about Laine than him being born on some random day. No need to reach that far for the tire-pumping.

His WHC performance was impressive and historic. I'll be the first to go nuts for him when he sets/breaks a legit NHL record too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad