LW Cole Eiserman - USNTDP U18 (2024, 20th, NYI)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Do you remember Kessel as a prospect? They are the exact same flaws that Eiserman is being accused of. They can both score, but they lack game awareness.
Kessel relied entirely on his speed as a prospect, he had a good shot but not exceptional and his passing was good but underutilized. The knock was that he generally just tried to do it all himself and routinely did because he had the speed to carry the puck from end to end every shift.

Eiserman is not even in the same realm when it comes to skating and playing with the puck on stick. They are vastly different players in my eyes.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Do you remember Kessel as a prospect? They are the exact same flaws that Eiserman is being accused of. They can both score, but they lack game awareness.
I do, that's why I commented. Kessel's game was built more around speed. Eiserman doesn't have near the wheels that Kessel had. I think Kessel was also more dynamic in space. He's a more multi-faceted attacker, he was better off the rush too...Kessel was negotiating even-numbers rushes with a lot more tact and patience than Eiserman and he did it at a higher level. How many isolation plays or how many times did Eiserman try to stack up on the strong side d-man? Not a lot, right? But those were big parts of Kessel's game. Yes, he got loose on breakaways and took guys on 1 on 1 and ripped a shot. I know that was there too, but they don't go about the game in the same way.

I also think Kessel was misunderstood in terms of his playing ability - and I don't want this to be all about Kessel, as he's completely irrelevant to this thread other than "American winger shoots well" but that's too reductive to be worthwhile. But Kessel didn't lack "game awareness" like some people think...I know there was talk about that, but I think people got sucked into some surface-level stuff and got an idea in their head and ran with it. That kid had a better feel for the game - and demonstrated it on the ice - than he got credit for from some...

Even if you dumb it down and just do highlight reel scouting, just watch the assists. Watch Kessel's playmaking process and compare it to Eiserman's. If you don't see the massive difference in their playing styles from that, then...fair enough...we're just watching different games then...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
That conversation with his coach is one of the funniest things I've ever read. There are 2nd grade teachers out there expecting more maturity from their students.

Aside from his shot, what is there in Eiserman’s game that is above average? I’m not seeing anything.

And if you look at the top 25goalscorers in the NHL, how many of them are only OK at everything else besides shooting?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree he has a tendency to shoot the puck instead of looking for or allowing a better play to develop. One thing I previously noted on Eiserman is I wonder if we are too critical on elite shooters who are overly reliant on their shot at the junior level? When a guy with really good stickhandling skills has a tendency to over stickhandle and cough up the puck, he is given quite a bit of grace that he is experimenting and learning his limits.

I don't like a lot of the comparables I see for Eiserman because his size and frame never seem to be considered. He is barely draft eligible and he is about 6'0" 200 lbs. I checked eliteprospects and two of his older brothers are listed at 6'2". He may realistically end up around 6'2" 215-220 lbs. I think it gets glossed over that he may end up at that size with an elite shot and knack for finding open ice around the net.
Wahlstrom's size, you mean?

Oh, and Kessel's game was built on speed, and the rush game. Not similar to Eiserman, who waits for someone to set him up in the O zone.

Reactions: biturbo19

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Chris Peters was interviewed in the most recent San Jose Now Podcast and he said that a lot of scouts are not (too) high on him cause they see a lack of self awareness / reflection, basically the same troubling impression that @cooldude and me got from reading the Athletic piece.

Yeah, if that quote from the Athletic was at all accurate I can see why scouts aren't keen. If you were asked to guess the age of the kid in the quotes, who would have said "17 and in an elite program"? I'd probably have guessed bantam at the oldest.

You'd kinda prefer that he come into the interview and say "Yeah, I suck away from the puck and I didn't really improve that this season," because at least there's the awareness.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yeah, if that quote from the Athletic was at all accurate I can see why scouts aren't keen. If you were asked to guess the age of the kid in the quotes, who would have said "17 and in an elite program"? I'd probably have guessed bantam at the oldest.

You'd kinda prefer that he come into the interview and say "Yeah, I suck away from the puck and I didn't really improve that this season," because at least there's the awareness.
Clearly he doesn't believe that to be true.

* I understand why that could warrant criticism

Last edited:

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Uh

Clearly he doesn't believe that to be true.

* I understand why that could warrant criticism
Hey there RR. I enjoy reading your opinions and respect your knowledge certainly on American born players and rosters for international tournaments. Do you see any chance Eiserman slips to the Isles at #20? Thanks

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kreider is one of the most athletic players in the NHL from his era and now the best net front guy around. He bullied players in puck battles in his best shape, and is still very physically intimidating. His outside shot is completely average.

Eiserman is a floaty sniper who can find pucks near the crease, but he’s more of an outside shooter.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I would suggest Jake Debrusk type in NHL is absolute high end possibility for Eiserman. One dimensionalish perimeter scorer whose goals are hard to ignore and can have good 30-40 goal potential despite some rough stuff. Coaches wont always love him and not even GM's but he can still prove them wrong with goals and make himself hard to ignore.

I might be totally off but this is the most fitting role my head imagines for him right now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hey there RR. I enjoy reading your opinions and respect your knowledge certainly on American born players and rosters for international tournaments. Do you see any chance Eiserman slips to the Isles at #20? Thanks
Thanks, but I know very little compared to some of my compatriots. That said, I would be shocked if he gets past San Jose at 14.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
A whole lot of talk on the Sharks boards as to whether our move up to 11 is because of this (securing Eiserman by picking him at 11 -- which is HIGHLY controversial, many of us would be very upset, others would be OK), or whether it's to give us a shot at Yak/Parekh/Iginla.

We will see tomorrow!
Eiserman at 11 would not be controversial. He is 14th for Bob.
Parekh 8 is a long shot but Iginla at 10 is quite possible.

Only need Sennecke or Catton to be picked earlier than 11 and 12 and Iginla is right there at 11.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Ok but still not getting why it would controversial on any board.
I dont see people being « very upset » if Eiserman is picked around 10-14
Because of Eiserman's profile. Some people are excited about the upside, some people are worried about the lack of a B game outside scoring, and whether that scoring will translate to the NHL. Basically the summary of this entire thread. He's polarizing.

Other prospects available at 11 are more exciting to some folks, including me (for example if Yakemchuk or Parekh drop, I would prefer the Sharks take a similar upside-downside risk on one of the RD vs. a winger). Or, some folks just love Iginla/Catton/Sennecke and if all 6 D are gone by 10, one or more of them will be available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad