Louis Leblanc?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Louis Leblanc was supposed to be what Bournival is turning into for us, a hard working two-way player who will likely be a solid third liner but can potentially fill on the second line. With how well Bournival has turned out there really isn't much room for a guy like Leblanc here, best thing for both parties would be a change of scenery... hopefully for another similar, struggling prospect that we can send down without potentially losing to waivers.

The difference is that Bournival embraced the role when Leblanc shunned it. He wanted to be a top 6 guy but didn't have the numbers. If he played with any intensity or character he'd be in the NHL right now.

Until he lights a fire under his own ass, he won't be an nhler. If he does make it with another team, he'll be a below average player as he is right now.

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I skimmed over what you wrote, my bad. If he doesn't need to clear waivers I agree with you on the centre thing, I'm okay with keeping him in Hamilton for a year.
Well, he does have to clear waivers, but I don't think that's really an issue. If he's not good enough to make the NHL, no other team is going to claim him. It's not like his AHL numbers are shining through to attract interest.

I think the main issue is just whether to qualify him, and what kind of alternative contract to offer him that would allow us to retain the asset without signing up to the QO amount.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm really disappointed with LeBlanc's play the 2nd half. Last year could have been seen as just a blip with the ankle injury plus the disappointment of being back in the NHL after playing 40+ NHL games in 11-12.

I thought with his nice start, 16 points in 23 games that he was taking off again...but then he slumped to 12 points his last 47 games. Not sure if he loses interest or can't maintain his intensity.

When he was here at 20, he definitely looked like a guy who would grow into an NHLer, he had very good hockey sense, good hands and he did pretty good in battles in the corner. He is still only 23, I hope they don't completely give up on him, nothing to lose signing him for another year and hopefully he bounces back and can put a full year together.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Well, he does have to clear waivers, but I don't think that's really an issue. If he's not good enough to make the NHL, no other team is going to claim him. It's not like his AHL numbers are shining through to attract interest.

I think the main issue is just whether to qualify him, and what kind of alternative contract to offer him that would allow us to retain the asset without signing up to the QO amount.

Why would the QO be an issue? The only question is do you want to use a contract on him, at this point I think it's well worth the risk. QO has no impact on the Habs cap or anything.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

I would expect him to be picked up on waivers. It only takes one team with a need, or a liking of him or maybe even they need a cheap player because of the cap limit.

I think you should qualify him even if you have no plans for him. There's other players who you can not offer a contract to and pick them up or someone just like them later.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I would expect him to be picked up on waivers. It only takes one team with a need, or a liking of him or maybe even they need a cheap player because of the cap limit.

I think you should qualify him even if you have no plans for him. There's other players who you can not offer a contract to and pick them up or someone just like them later.
I would qualify him too. But I would expect to be waiving him in September. His QO is $850k, but he'll mostly just be earning his AHL salary again.

I think it looks like our depth is such now that he's not a realistic candidate to make the team, which is something I was contemplating might have been possible at the time of his last stint with us, and made me think that maybe a 1-way $550k offer would be worth considering in parallel with the 2-way QO. But I think that's off the table now.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
By issuing a QO, you state that you want to use a contract on him. He can accept the offer, after all.

I think LeBlanc's stock has dropped, but not to the point where I wouldn't offer him a 2 way QO and a spot on one of my 50 contracts. It's a very small price to pay for the chance that things click for him.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I would qualify him too. But I would expect to be waiving him in September. His QO is $850k, but he'll mostly just be earning his AHL salary again.

I think it looks like our depth is such now that he's not a realistic candidate to make the team, which is something I was contemplating might have been possible at the time of his last stint with us, and made me think that maybe a 1-way $550k offer would be worth considering in parallel with the 2-way QO. But I think that's off the table now.

I guess a lot depends on our present RW situation and how it plays out this summer. What does Gionta want for a contract or do we even want him? Does Vanek really like it in Montreal and want to stay here? At the end of the season Briere and Bourque were question marks, too.

I expect Leblanc won't be part of the bigger picture, also, but things can change quite a bit between now and mid-July. Nothing else to do but just kick back watch a little playoff action and let things slide.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
A clear upgrade over Eller ? Are you for real here ?

Look, I like Eller, but he's basically been a total bust offensively outside of last season. He has a role on the team and he does it well, but Kreider would relegate Eller to the 4th line or more accurately, render him an expendable spare part. Ask the Rangers if they'd trade Kreider for Eller and you'll get your answer.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The progression has stopped. Period. Happens to some prospects. I guess the ceiling was never that high to begin with. But EVERYBODY thought he had some kind of ceiling as most public scouting reports had him around where we picked him......But sometimes, you cannot know when the player will reach that ceiling and when he'll stop progressing....Just impossible to know and surely the reason why the "busts" happen.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The progression has stopped. Period. Happens to some prospects. I guess the ceiling was never that high to begin with. But EVERYBODY thought he had some kind of ceiling as most public scouting reports had him around where we picked him......But sometimes, you cannot know when the player will reach that ceiling and when he'll stop progressing....Just impossible to know and surely the reason why the "busts" happen.

Leblanc may end up a decent 6 forward. Like a Dominic Moore. Players like that generally don't make NHL until 25 or so, then play a shut-down role. Jeff Halpern or a Jim Dowd, guys who played here before but filled a needed role. If the wheels are there and they show fairly decent hands, learning them defense been proven easily doable.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Leblanc may end up a decent 6 forward. Like a Dominic Moore. Players like that generally don't make NHL until 25 or so, then play a shut-down role. Jeff Halpern or a Jim Dowd, guys who played here before but filled a needed role. If the wheels are there and they show fairly decent hands, learning them defense been proven easily doable.

Don't see the speed, the defensive commitment or the agility to still play a role. He could of course become a 4th liner, with some shift on the 3rd. But at best will become pretty much irrelevant and jumping from team to team. I think we're done here. And somehow, would find another "bust" prospect to trade him for to get both guys going with another team.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

There may be a problem with him and Lefebvre, some guys just need a fresh start. Just hard to believe what he has done the last 2 years after where he was 24 months ago with 3 solid years of progression.

To me the Habs have two realistic options with LL...A-sign him for another year and hope things click B-trade him for an equal prospect struggling to find his way...Runblad, Klingberg, etc

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Louis Leblanc plays like Louise Leblanc. He's done, a bust, move on, just like David Fischer.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I really don't see how this guy could be a NHL'er for us. I don't have him in my first 14 forwards, and that's without making any moves. And with the stories behind his lack of development, attitude and all, I would make a deal dissapointing prospect for dissapointing prospect.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
He is by all means a depth player. There's just nothing to argue about here... It's like arguing with your girlfriend because she bought budweiser instead of coors for your Stanley cup party, it's like man, chill, they're all terrible anyway.

How did you like said depth forward Mrb1p? Think he has what it takes to make the NHL?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
LeBust.

Trade him at the draft for what you can get, and move on. I doubt he wears the CH again, Bournival beat him for his spot at camp, and did nothing to lose it over the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad