Loose Leafs #24 -Hmm.. Ellipses (that's ... in case you didn't know)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Loose-Leafs
Song of the Week: The Truth About Love - P!nk

Leafs Stats In a Nutshell

300_35326.jpg

they are all swimming down in there

If the Playoffs were today

:leafs vs :pens

meh%252520%2525281%252529_thumb.gif

Works for me.

Would be the gong-showiest series on the face of the planet.

On the Shelf
Jonathan Bernier: day to day with level one low groin sprain.
Our Playoff Hopes & Dreams.

Up and Down
Carter Ashton was sent down
[I think Peter Holland was as well]

The Double Standard

I really was thinking about - not writing anything this week, because like - why? If i write about Reimer - it's going to split down like this

A: Reimer did this in the past - Reimer is no that bad, our defense is crap. We shouldn't blame Reimer.

B: Reimer sucks, and our defense is bad.

or some version of the other. I'm really over it. But I tried to write this thing five times - and :laugh: I just can not not write about him. So i'm taking a different tact here. Earlier this week and I think one person (FlareKnight, even addressed it) [it's sort of like "fire Carlyle!" - okay who do you hire "I don't know but fire him!!"] Why is Reimer getting all of this love and support (well dunno about now, after the Montreal game), and

Clarkson isn't?

Clarkson had two-three really good years. He's not as bad as he is currently, he has to fit into a new system (of which no one really knows what it is), he had to adjust to a lot of expectations, a lot of crap happened to him which beat down on his confidence, he's probably never really had to face this before, and so on and so forth and etc.

But the majority of people hate Clarkson. Hate. Let's buy him out, how dare he take cap space, he's a bum he sucks, let's not give him a chance, blah blah blah. Clarkson is evil.

Or.

Franson. Franson has had a brutal year [and I've been hard on him but it took me 3 months to be all :facepalm: on him], but he's been better but people still don't consider his good/decent year, or think he can rebound next year Nope nope, he needs to be gone, he needs to be outta here! He's a bum.

or.

Raymond. Why doesnt he pass, why does he do all the things he does, I will not miss him when he's gone [let's just ignore the fact the dude came back from a broken back a few years ago, and is struggling to find himself and actually is pretty darn decent for the most part, just not the best fit maybe], but nope outta here

What they did in the pass is never even considered, or let's give them another chance, or the confidence thing or anything. So why - then is Reimer exempt? I'm truly curious - especially if someone can do it without mentioning anything regarding the fact that we're defensively weak. Because that's a given. It's really an interesting case study here. Like there is no Upper Limits on Clarkson/Franson/Raymond hate - but Reimer? Nope, nope nope. We've got to remember what he did.

But why? What he did isn't helping us now is it? (that's why Clarkson is getting zero love, the guy for the most part - horribadlinglyawful) So then Reimer deserves what he's getting - but no, because of the defense - yeah, okay but Bernier - but no that's different because Reimer has no confidence see.

Sam-Winchester-GIFs-Supernatural-Jared-Padalecki-WTF-face.gif

yeah that makes... wait what?

Maybe I'm very simple - as we all know - I suck at the numbers, I literally can't wrap my head around them, and even for all the years I've watched hockey I haven't even bothered to figure out save percentages and goals against etc, because it just over my head. [also - I don't remember always where to find it, and how to make it work my point, I should learn for next year]. So. basically, i work from my strengths. What I see, what I observe. Sociologist for the win. And it aint' good what i'm seeing.

Confidence comes from within. We've all had bad jobs, we've all had crap bosses, we all, at points in time felt that maybe we weren't good enough. But at the same time, we've all been given that one opportunity to stand up and show that yes, maybe the situation you are in - lack of support from fellow co-workers or whatever - sucks, but YOU can stand above and shine and maybe make the most of your situation.

Again - taking the defensive play of the team out of it, taking the California trip out of it - can you honestly say in Washington, Detroit, vs Tampa and vs. Montreal that Reimer showed his very best? that if you were a general manager (especially on a team like say, Edmonton, or the islanders, or where your defense is probably suspect too, ie: the teams who will probably be the ones taking a flyer on you) - that you liked what you saw from Reimer, when given a chance to show why he's could be a number one?

So that's the first hmm.... that I came up with.

What exactly do y'all want

It's kind of funny - when it all boils down to it. Everyone thought the Leafs would be battling for a playoff spot, and then that's exactly what they are doing and everyone is all "but why do they suck, blah blah blah." (yes because most of it was also to the fact that this time last week, we were 2nd (but fell to 4th because of the Montreal/Ottawa gong show, and Tampa winning).

And everyone keeps bringing up how horrid we are defensively - as if we don't know this. Newsflash for everyone who didn't know - the Leafs defense.. well let's just say

tumblr_lgirwlz9U61qcrzkko1_500.gif

But I have to say - what were you really expecting? Nonis said from the start of the year, we're going to see what we have, and make good hockey changes. He also said he is not going to sacrifice the youth [Nazzy, Morgan, Jake] to bring in help. He also said he realises he needs to bring in supplemental support for every position. He also said that we're no where near close to being super competitive.

And I'VE said more than enough times. Chicago struggled and/or missed the playoffs nine straight years before they won the cup. LA did it about seven or so years. This is year 2. (or if you want to go back further or so - 3 to 3.5) . it's like screaming at your mixing bowl why aren't their cookies yet and you haven't even put it on the tray and baked it yet.

While I think now (if not already) the honeymoon phase is over for Nonis (and Carlyle certainly), I'm not willing to pull the shoot on Nonis just yet - I want to see what he does in the summer. and then see what goes on.

I've been on the record and I'm not changing my mind - no team in the east scares me when we're on. Heck - no team in the east scares me when we're even 50 percent, just for the fact that we can turn on in an instant. the only team seriously that scares me the most is the Leafs because we never know what's going on. but I expect that from a very young, very immature team. I won't expect that forever, and quite frankly neither will Nonis. But i'm willing to give it another summer to see what he does.

9cdd3799dcc8596215b88a5827fe42d4.jpg

yes, I meant what I said don't give me that look

Daisy's Player of the Week

183659661.jpg

everyone - play like him. the end.

He really made a difference yesterday and it showed what we were missing. Welcome back Bolland :)

Leaf's Schedule This Week

Three games

Blues [on tuesday]
Flyers [on Friday]
Wins [on Saturday]

who knows what's gonna happen.

but.

keepcalm-1.jpg

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I like it, but your player of the week should've been Kessel imo. Hes been consistently playing well all week and actually showed some emotion too.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
I like it, but your player of the week should've been Kessel imo. Hes been consistently playing well all week and actually showed some emotion too.

Kessel has been everything people call him all week...

He's had a couple of terrible giveaways that cost us some goals this week.

Scoring at an elite pace Yes
Still needs to brush up his overall game.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

:laugh: I've exempted Kessel and Bernier from players of the week because there was a stint where they were ALWAYS the Player of the week :laugh:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I don't know about other posters, but for myself I've had Reimer's back because history does count, when you are a fan of a team... and I mean a real fan, not seasonal or fair-weather, you grow attached to the players and when one does something like Reimer did in taking us to the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade, you don't simply forget that and abandon the guy because his confidence is shot and he's playing poorly.

Personally I can't ****ing stand the game-time threads, Player A makes a mistake and the posts about him range from personal attacks on who he is to that he should be traded, the next shift he does something good and those same posters are forgiving him... it's like listening to one of those talk shows where the people in the audience applaud and boo with every prompt instead of having an educated opinion and reaction of their own, they haven't, but we do regarding our own team.

Reimer is playing like ****, he isn't a backup and has a starters mentality, so when he sits for too long a spell he's shaky, on top of that he has no confidence and is an self-esteem tender - he's going to play ******, but we've seen enough from the young guy to know that when he's on he's amazing, and as our own product who has done a lot of good for this franchise I'm not going to turn my back and call him a piece of ****. I'll say he's a good young tender who is having a hell of a bad season and need to play for another team who will have confidence in him and give him a shot.

Reimer had his shot last year and only posted the best SV% in franchise history and helped take us to the playoffs where he played well, while management did what they could to bring in another goalie. Then once we got Bernier he was anointed the #1 in the press from day one despite not having played as much nor having any playoff experience. Then once Reimer had his first bad game Bernier was given the Reins and Reimer was only started occasionally which further frustrated him, then after all that Bernier goes down and we need to rely upon a shaky tender who's got no confidence and playing like it, and now the majority hate the guy.

DMac needs to play not because Reimer sucks balls, but because Reimer will suck balls as long as he is a Leaf, he'd done here and Nonis and RC have a hand in the product we have been seeing on the ice.

TheThrill81*

Since when was Reimer ever exempt? Comparing his contributions to Clarkson's is a complete joke. I agree with pretty much everything Cotton said.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
Hadn't noticed Bolland has the A on his jersey. Interesting. Glad he's back.

Cotton you're not alone in your assessment. Also, I learned not to take any heat of the moment bashing seriously on the GDTs. Give them the benefit of the doubt that they actually don't mean what they say, after the game. At least that's how I read the GDT. A more entertaining version of the play-by-play, but it's from the different parts of the fanbase.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Since when was Reimer ever exempt? Comparing his contributions to Clarkson's is a complete joke. I agree with pretty much everything Cotton said.

I didn't compare the two's contributions.

what I said was - Clarkson had 2 good seasons - and is having a bad one.

Reimer had two good seasons - and is having a bad one.

the difference is, if you talk about reimer's recent play it's like I suggested let's go puppy kicking. There's a heck of lot more credit, being tossed his way I guess - because you're remembering what he did last season. So I just was wondering why that was.

I'm not going to comment on what Cotton said (at length) because while some of it's true - i've also discussed it adnasueum as well and I'm tired of hashing it out verbatim. Also - I don't think why the two should be mutually exclusive - you can have affection for a player and still critique his play, heck you can have your favourite player and roast him like a barbeque chicken. it doesn't mean he stops being your favourite player

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I don't know about other posters, but for myself I've had Reimer's back because history does count, when you are a fan of a team... and I mean a real fan, not seasonal or fair-weather, you grow attached to the players and when one does something like Reimer did in taking us to the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade, you don't simply forget that and abandon the guy because his confidence is shot and he's playing poorly.

Personally I can't ****ing stand the game-time threads, Player A makes a mistake and the posts about him range from personal attacks on who he is to that he should be traded, the next shift he does something good and those same posters are forgiving him... it's like listening to one of those talk shows where the people in the audience applaud and boo with every prompt instead of having an educated opinion and reaction of their own, they haven't, but we do regarding our own team.

Reimer is playing like ****, he isn't a backup and has a starters mentality, so when he sits for too long a spell he's shaky, on top of that he has no confidence and is an self-esteem tender - he's going to play ******, but we've seen enough from the young guy to know that when he's on he's amazing, and as our own product who has done a lot of good for this franchise I'm not going to turn my back and call him a piece of ****. I'll say he's a good young tender who is having a hell of a bad season and need to play for another team who will have confidence in him and give him a shot.

Reimer had his shot last year and only posted the best SV% in franchise history and helped take us to the playoffs where he played well, while management did what they could to bring in another goalie. Then once we got Bernier he was anointed the #1 in the press from day one despite not having played as much nor having any playoff experience. Then once Reimer had his first bad game Bernier was given the Reins and Reimer was only started occasionally which further frustrated him, then after all that Bernier goes down and we need to rely upon a shaky tender who's got no confidence and playing like it, and now the majority hate the guy.

DMac needs to play not because Reimer sucks balls, but because Reimer will suck balls as long as he is a Leaf, he'd done here and Nonis and RC have a hand in the product we have been seeing on the ice.

Great post man. Really well done

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012

Kessel was playing out of this world yesterday. The one misplay was the saucer pass he turned over in the neutral zone. Man does he have an extra gear for big games. He is the man.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto

100% on the money. Agree with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad