Friedman: Looking like Seth Jones will test free agency

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
He's decided he's testing free agency more than a year before it happens? Weird that Friedge would report this, but he's been really off his rocker lately.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
He's decided he's testing free agency more than a year before it happens? Weird that Friedge would report this, but he's been really off his rocker lately.
There is literally nothing about that that is outlandish or out of the ordinary and happens often.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Jeeeeeeeeez

his underlying numbers and even raw point totals and p/60 have been dropping steadily for 3 seasons

his possession quality is in the sewer

I personally wouldn’t touch

but defenseman who are relatively young and right handed and play a boat load of minutes.

thise factors alone probably push his AAV above 7 at least

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
As far as we're concerned it's a distinction without a difference.
Well, considering you'll be rebuilding, I should think that the level of the return should matter.

A team isn't going to give up a lot if he's going to leave after one season, whereas they might be willing to give up more if he is willing to re-sign. Best to move him to somewhere where he wants to go and is willing re-sign.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Considering that this upcoming free agency hasn't happened yet, it definitely is. Sounds like Friedge may have jumped the gun again.
Guys decide they want to test free agency all the time prior to that happening. And when they are high profile guys teams want to know if he’s signing an extension. This is absolutely standard procedure and to think otherwise is ludicrous.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Considering that this upcoming free agency hasn't happened yet, it definitely is. Sounds like Friedge may have jumped the gun again.
It was reported that Jarmo asked Jones if he's willing to sign an extension this Summer. Jones said he wanted o think about it. Jones went back to Jarmo and said no. Friedman somehow got the info and is reporting it.

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
It was reported that Jarmo asked Jones if he's willing to sign an extension this Summer. Jones said he wanted o think about it. Jones went back to Jarmo and said no. Friedman somehow got the info and is reporting it.

Yea that definitely sounds like jumping the gun. Someone should ask Friedge if Deslauriers is ending up in PIT sometime soon as well

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I Montreal has to go for it with so many players UFA.

a real REAL interesting story coming up this off-season for Montreal.

stay tuned.

e5?

Reactions: Frenchy

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I can see why C-Bus fans are mad, but did they really expect him to re-sign? I mean, look at the situation.

1. Bob left. Panarin left. Duchene left (even though he was a deadline guy, not being able to re-sign a top player can send signals)
2. They traded/lost a ton of fairly long-time players in the offseason: Nuvitaara, Murray, Anderson, Dubois, and Wennberg.
3. The guys they got back are mostly known headcases and bad locker room guys: Laine and Domi (Who are both, now, one season from UFA as I recall)
4. They just sold a bunch of players at the deadline. Foligno, Savard
5. The coach just left.

The team is trending one way and they are currently one of the worst teams in the league. Good on them for realizing they need to rebuild, and selling at the deadline, but if I was in Jones' shoes, turning 27 on a team looking at a possible lengthy rebuild, I wouldn't be telling management I would be re-signing before the season even started. I'd be saying "Hey, I might re-sign if you can turn things around, but I'm not committing to this team till I know where it is headed. Because, right now, it looks BAD"

Edit: Forgot Wennberg

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Yea that definitely sounds like jumping the gun. Someone should ask Friedge if Deslauriers is ending up in PIT sometime soon as well
To be fair, Friedman said Jones doesn't want to sign with Columbus. Then went onto say, he's going to say for now because he doesn't like to deal in absolutes. So if he's wrong, he has that last sentence to defend himself lol

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Yeah good luck getting rid of Marner's contract, No sane GM is helping Dubas out of his mess.
You really telling me if Marner was waived, no GM would pick him up? This is such a dumb comment, he's a top 5 point producer in the league. He's not worth his contract, but doesn't mean hes not moveable. Heck if it means giving him for nothing to get Seth Jones I'd do it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He’s being represented by Brisson and Werenski recently fired him. Has a player ever opened up about why they don’t like Columbus? Small market?

Nobody dislikes Columbus as a city.

Panarin wanted to be a Ranger. Dubois is still entirely unknown. Seth is heading for UFA and doesn't want to extend with a rebuilding team, something we've seen countless times around the league.

There was just an off the record article with three former Jackets in the Athletic and they all like Columbus, it's not a marquee destination but nothing off-putting either.

I went to a wedding in Cleveland a few years ago and I have to say it was pretty bad. Granted its not Columbus, but Ohio just sucks in general. Sorry to everyone who lives there, but I feel like this is the truest case of Jones wanting to be in a bigger market. There is just nothing to do there.

That's an entirely different city. Rust belt, shrinking, struggling economically, windy and cold as hell.

It's like if I went to Trenton and said "well obviously no one would ever want to live in New Jersey".

This is just business as usual because Jones knows he'll either get the mega deal he wants from Columbus or some other (playoff) team will back up the money truck for him. Spending is also likely to go way up next summer and beyond. It's the reality of letting a very good player get near FA with mileage left in the tank.

Dubois wanting out was 'weirder'

You're right that this isn't weird. But it's not Seth trying to maximize his $$. Columbus would back up the Brinks truck for him, it's just that old story where a player doesn't want to get stuck on a rebuild. If it was about money he'd stay in Columbus.

I wonder if he's serious on testing free agency or if this was merely a veiled demand to be relocated to the franchise of his choice. (i.e. I'm not re-signing in Columbus, so trade me somewhere I want and get a return, or trade me somewhere I don't want and I'll refuse to re-sign and you'll get a shit return)

That's not what I'd call a veiled demand, but yes I do think Seth would certainly be more interested in extending in one of his preferred destinations rather than going through the whole rental and UFA process. I highly doubt he wants to wait through the year in Columbus or be rented somewhere where he doesn't plan on staying. And like just about all players he'll take his financial security now, please. I'd be very surprised if he isn't extended somewhere by this Fall.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Honestly, Columbus might just be farther ahead to blow it up and do a quick rebuild. Try to establish a contender so that players are willing to stick around once they make it to UFA.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean.. Eichel for Jones right?

So jones isn’t going to resign in Columbus, but he’s going to sign long term with the Sabres with Eichel and Reinhart wanting our? I have a bridge to sell ya

No the idea would be that Columbus ships out Jones for a bluechip prospect or two and uses that along with their ~#5OA and some roster players to get Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad