Speculation: Looking back on the Hamilton trade , should the Oilers have gave up Nurse

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Been thinking about this trade the last few weeks and with the addition of Larsson and Nurse not being ready for the NHL yet ( At least last season ) Should Chia have given up Nurse to Boston ?

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Hamilton

Plus Davidson could be in the top 4 . Mix and Match how you will . I know some fans will come in here and bash Hamilton . Please don't . He a young D who got better as the year when on . He had to get use to a new system , new players . He is a puck moving D that the Oilers could of really used .

As of today you could not trade Reinhart and Nurse for a D with Hamilton upside . So In my opinion we should have bitten the bullet and did the trade .

Opinions ?

Edit : I still think Nurse will end up a good D . Just a different D then Hamilton and I think with Larsson added Hamilton would be the better fit

lucscaps

Jun 20, 2005
guelph, ont
who's to say the Hall/Larsson deal still goes down if Chia gets his top pairing D in Hamilton.

That's a really nice top 4 though.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
who's to say the Hall/Larsson deal still goes down if Chia gets his top pairing D in Hamilton.

I would Hope Chia would still have done the trade . A solid defender like Larsson and a pucking moving D like Hamilton to QB PP makes the Oilers D legit . 1 D does not fix our D . 2 like the mention ones sets us up nicely for the future and the age makes sense all around

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Which is the question I ask, and if you have Hamilton, Hall and Lucic in your lineup would we not be better off than if we had Nurse, Lucic and Larsson?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would Hope Chia would still have done the trade . A solid defender like Larsson and a pucking moving D like Hamilton to QB PP makes the Oilers D legit . 1 D does not fix our D . 2 like the mention ones sets us up nicely for the future and the age makes sense all around

One d last year could've made this team better last thus less pressure on us to actually get Larsson. Could've resulted in more coming back for Hall.

Really tough to say.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Maybe straight across, but Nurse+16 was way too much to give up for a player that can't play top pairing competition like Hamilton.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
What were the actual wants by the Bruins in that trade? We gave up a couple considerable assets for Reinhart. Would we still have those assets or were they part of the trade as well? Guessing we wouldn't have made the deal for Reinhart if we just made a deal for Hamilton.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
He added 8 pounds in the offseason so he sits at 6'4.5 and weighs 213lbs. Oilers know they have a physical top 4 dman in Nurse. He's got a good reach too. One of the few Oilers I like :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
One d last year could've made this team better last thus less pressure on us to actually get Larsson. Could've resulted in more coming back for Hall.

Really tough to say.

I agree . It would be nice to be going into this season with

Lucic McD Pulju . Hoping he ready . Size , Physical , 2 way play , top line on most teams
Pouliot RNH Eberle . Proven line
Maroon Draisaitl Yakupov size and skill to succeed
Hendricks Letestu Kassian

Klefbom Larsson . tough minutes
Sekera Hamilton . PP minutes and O zone D
Davidson Fayne . Real soft minutes with Davidson getting 2nd PP time
Oesterle or anyone who takes the job from him

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
What were the actual wants by the Bruins in that trade? We gave up a couple considerable assets for Reinhart. Would we still have those assets or were they part of the trade as well? Guessing we wouldn't have made the deal for Reinhart if we just made a deal for Hamilton.

Wants #1. Not to deal with Chiarelli

Just a guess at the time since he was just fired and I think there is still some Ill will.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He added 8 pounds in the offseason so he sits at 6'4.5 and weighs 213lbs. Oilers know they have a physical top 4 dman in Nurse. He's got a good reach too. One of the few Oilers I like :laugh:

The problem with Nurse is what does he cap out at? I love what the kid brings, but I just don't know that he's going to be more than a Jason Smith. Which is absolutely fine. It's just Hamilton is a top pairing d-man.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If it wipes the Reinhart trade from the Oilers history. You give up Nurse in a heartbeat.

Unlikely the Hall Larsson trade would still happen but Larsson and Hamilton seem like they would compliment each other well.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Maybe straight across, but Nurse+16 was way too much to give up for a player that can't play top pairing competition like Hamilton.

What we gave up for Reinhart was way to much . Then there Larsson . As I said a team would not trade Hamilton today for Nurse and Reinhart . Maybe we could have held one of the assets back .

1st , 2nd and Nurse for Hamilton is over payment but those assets along with Nurse would of set up our D for years to come . Nurse is yet another left hand D which we are loaded with .

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
In hindsight sure, but giving up Nurse +16th would have been terrible value at the time. Would look really bad I'd Chia grossly overpaid for his two top D.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
In hindsight sure, but giving up Nurse +16th would have been terrible value at the time. Would look really bad I'd Chia grossly overpaid for his two top D.

I think if you can get two top D, you do it no matter the cost. I think the Hall trade will make them a better team. As would the Hamilton trade. The Hamilton trade in retrospect is a no brainer but would have been tougher at the time.

What team has their top pairing filled with two guys they didn't draft?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

Boston passed on Barzal and Connor, so it wouldn't be AS bad.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
This is actually an interesting scenario.

If Hamilton <-> 16+33+Nurse had went through at the draft, Edmonton would have been a much better team last year. Even with the injury catastrophe they had, they could have easily finished high enough to not get to draft Puljujärvi. Also, Hamilton would have taken a lot of cap space, which could have prevented the acquisition of Lucic.

Would Chiarelli have traded Hall for Larsson without having a guaranteed replacement AND an elite potential winger in Lucic and Pulju? I don't think so. The desperate need for a defenseman wouldn't have been there anymore, which makes me believe so even more.

One thing which is worth mentioning is their defensive prospect depth. At the 2015 draft, Nurse was the only one worth mentioning. There were no Jones, Bear or Paigin ar the time. Letting Nurse go would have looked bad and felt even worse, with nothing close to NHL ready to replace him. Not saying that Nurse+Reinhart would have been better than Hamilton, but if your team just happens to have McDavid in it, cheap defensemen will be incredibly valuable when things get costly.

I think doing the trade at the time would have ended up being worse than what they have now, but some interesting questions can be asked about it. What would Calgary have done without Hamilton? What would the Isles do without two of their current top prospects? And finally, would we ever see a team having four consecutive picks in the first round...

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
The problem with Nurse is what does he cap out at? I love what the kid brings, but I just don't know that he's going to be more than a Jason Smith. Which is absolutely fine. It's just Hamilton is a top pairing d-man.

He looks like a Dougie Hamilton with a more physical side to his game.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think if you can get two top D, you do it no matter the cost. I think the Hall trade will make them a better team. As would the Hamilton trade. The Hamilton trade in retrospect is a no brainer but would have been tougher at the time.

What team has their top pairing filled with two guys they didn't draft?

The Oilers since early 90's?

Mad Brills*

Nurse + 16 for hamilton means no reinhart and you likely keep hall unless you could get subban.

Hamilton/hall > larsson/lucic.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

Jason Smith was a pretty damned good defenseman for the Oilers and the last captain that people didn't ***** about non stop. Never mind that Nurse is many times better skater than Smith ever was.

I don't know why people are down on Nurse just because as a rookie he couldn't handle top pairing minutes on a poor team. He was fine until he got thrown onto the top pair. That doesn't ruin his value or potential at all.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Hamilton is not a top pairing D

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jason Smith was a pretty damned good defenseman for the Oilers and the last captain that people didn't ***** about non stop. Never mind that Nurse is many times better skater than Smith ever was.

I don't know why people are down on Nurse just because as a rookie he couldn't handle top pairing minutes on a poor team. He was fine until he got thrown onto the top pair. That doesn't ruin his value or potential at all.

I'm not down on the guy. I just don't see him every having that much offense to his game. See his cap as a 2nd pairing shutdown d-man. I don't see him as a guy getting to the top pairing.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The Oilers would still have (desperately) needed a Larsson type defender even if they had had Hamilton last year. Doubly so if they didn't have Nurse anymore. No guarantee that making that move would have negated the Hall trade.

That's not even getting into how much of a disaster having Hamilton lead Edmonton's top pair would have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad