Salary Cap: Look at next years budget

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Doesn't that new TV deal (and monies) kick in next year? Doesn't that give the team an extra 15-20 mil to play with?

Don't worry, by the time that happens the Canadian dollar will have dropped enough to 'offset' any TV deal gains. Also, I'm pretty sure I read that the deal is only 6-7M in the first year and that it goes up over time.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I'm sure Melnyk will figure something out, like that Tim Thomas trade to the Islanders. Cheering for this team is depressing.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Actual salary committed next season... Lines may be off, my apologies.

?? - Spezza 4.0 - ??
Mcarthur 3.25 - Turris 3.5 - Ryan 5.563
Smith 1.7 - Zibanejad .833 - Neil 2.1
Greening 2.0 - Pageu .660 - Condra 1.3

Karlsson 6.5 - Methot 3.75
Cowen 2.7 - Wiercioch 2.2
Borowiecki 0.6 - ??

Anderson 3.5
??

Say our budget is 54 million, gives us 10.0 to spend

- 3.5 to Lehner next season
- Leaves 6.5 for two top six forward and a defenseman

Hopefully we get to spend 60 million next season, make things a lot easier

54M may very well be below the floor so we will have to spend more. Based on what has been thrown about a 56M floor is more than likely.

And with where salaries are going, 6.5 will likely only buy a second line forward ......

If you said quantity two (2) top forwards in the original post, $6 m (& change) is not enough.

Ottawa desperately needs a good, reliable 2/3 d-man. That would push a bunch of the other d-men down the depth chart and reduce their minutes. The Senators will struggle and will remain in the bottom third of the standings unless they do this at a minimum.

Last edited:

sandwich

Dec 20, 2013
If you said quantity two (2) top forwards in the original post, $6 m (& change) is not enough.

Ottawa desperately needs a good, reliable 2/3 d-man. That would push a bunch of the other d-men down the depth chart and reduce their minutes. The Senators will struggle and will remain in the bottom third of the standings unless they do this at a minimum.

I know he's an RFA, but what about Cody Franson? Offer sheet?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Euge said he intends to have the team be a mid cap team so were lookin midway between 56 and 72 mil.......so 64 mil in cap hit is what hes promising or somewhere in that neighbourhood.....with that well buy a top 6 forward a top 4 dman and another project that wont work out ala latandresse....... dont expect huge spending expect just enough to shut us up.

I think his intentions were based upon a much more optimistic outlook to this season. No playoffs means a lot less money, and he seemed to be anticipating a long run. It can still happen, but I can say I am apprehensive.

And yes we may have money to spend, but that does not always mean you can spend it. Only so many FA's to go around, and Ottawa is not the most attractive market. We couldn't even compete for David Clarkson last year, lol.

The money could very well be spent locking up (and overpaying in the short term) for Ryan and Methot. I'm not counting on finding any top 6 forwards or top 4 D in the free agent market.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
This just makes me sad.

Agreed, fairly bleak time to be a Sens fan it seems, and to think just a few years ago i felt this team was headed for glory....hey maybe we are all well off on EM finances and i hope that is the case, but the more that comes out it seems pretty clear to me that our owner is quite cash strapped, which is a borderline tragedy for a pro Canadian hockey team.

I have a hard time even finding comparables to this situation (Team being criminally underfunded and trying to be run like a food basics while still being expected to remain competitive etc...) in the sporting world.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, we need to find another owner. An owner that is willing to spend the money to improve the team. It's depressing to know we have all these holes on the team and the owner is to cheap to fix them.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah, we need to find another owner. An owner that is willing to spend the money to improve the team. It's depressing to know we have all these holes on the team and the owner is to cheap to fix them.

Yup we cannot fill the holes in our leaky roof whilst all our buddies (Other Canadian/Relevant teams) are filthy rich and adding yearly additons,sports cars, pools, addtitional vacation homes etc...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Can this market pay typical Canadian market prices and fill the arena for a team that may or may not make the playoffs?

If the answer is maybe or no, than what are the odds of some dumb billionaire buying this team?

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Can this market pay typical Canadian market prices and fill the arena for a team that may or may not make the playoffs?

If the answer is maybe or no, than what are the odds of some dumb billionaire buying this team?
In an ideal world there is a partnership where the team gets a new owner but Melnyk owns the arena. Then the city builds a new arena closer to the centre and Melnyk gets Melnyk'ed hard.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Unless they feel he could be an effective winger, Ottawa doesn't need Statsny at center. Center is the one position where Ottawa has a ton of depth, Spezza, Turris, Smith, Pageau, Z-bad, or even Grant as a pesky fourth liner. Then there is Lazar coming up in maybe 3-5 years.

They could not afford Statsny. Statsnys contract was high at the time, but he'd probably get a similar deal on the open market. If you think Ottawa is going to get Stasny for 4.5 million, you're absolutely dreaming. With the cap going up, and GMs competing for free agents; 6.5 million for Statsny is not unrealistic.

3-5 years? The way Ottawa inflates the egos and rushes their first round picks he'll see NHL time next year...

Phillips would be perfectly adequate if he was signed to be the #6 defenceman. Unfortunately he probably won't be and you're right, that will be madness. Hopefully Cowen will progress to the point that he can play on the top pair with Karlsson and Methot can help Ceci on the second pairing, leaving Phillips and Wiercioch (?) on the third.

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Phillips-Wiercioch

Still bad defensively unless Cowen, Karlsson, and Wiercioch step up their games defensively and Ceci continues to be decent. Ideally we sign a semi-reliable, veteran two-way defender (TWD) or deal a forward to play the right side on the second pairing. Then we ice:

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-FantasyTWD
Phillips-Ceci

That would be ideal in my opinion. Any one have any ideas who that TWD is, lol?

Dan Girardi. Already been rumored in the past, Murray should make it happen at the deadline. Fix the problem this season, then go out and sign another MacArthur type top-6 fwd.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
Phillips would be perfectly adequate if he was signed to be the #6 defenceman. Unfortunately he probably won't be and you're right, that will be madness. Hopefully Cowen will progress to the point that he can play on the top pair with Karlsson and Methot can help Ceci on the second pairing, leaving Phillips and Wiercioch (?) on the third.

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Phillips-Wiercioch

Still bad defensively unless Cowen, Karlsson, and Wiercioch step up their games defensively and Ceci continues to be decent. Ideally we sign a semi-reliable, veteran two-way defender (TWD) or deal a forward to play the right side on the second pairing. Then we ice:

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-FantasyTWD
Phillips-Ceci

That would be ideal in my opinion. Any one have any ideas who that TWD is, lol?

Please tell me that means Boro could be traded (hopefully to the Flyers or Rangers). Would love to see him playing closer to home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad