Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I think we are all saying the same thing. Changes have to be made, and it's not about being "mean." We all know it can't go on this way. They will likely approach Marner and JT and ask them to waive, but those players are well within their right to say no. Don't blame the player. Blame the idiot front office that gave out the contracts.

Sitting $22 million of cap space in the press box as some kind of flex is seriously something Ballard would have done in a salary cap era.
Definitely have to go about asking them to waive in a respectful manner but if Marner says no Im staying, it gets a little dicey.

Reactions: Just Rude

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
"We will treat you poorly until you accept changes to your contract" is not only ridiculous but probably illegal. They're either open to change or they aren't but the lessen is not to hand out NMCs like candy.

Those contracts screwed us and we talked about it at the time. I would rather pay a guy too much than go without the power to improve the team. Unfortunately, Dubas did both.

Reactions: egd27 and Just Rude

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
"We will treat you poorly until you accept changes to your contract" is not only ridiculous but probably illegal. They're either open to change or they aren't but the lessen is not to hand out NMCs like candy.

Those contracts screwed us and we talked about it at the time. I would rather pay a guy too much than go without the power to improve the team. Unfortunately, Dubas did both.
Almost every Leaf fan knew what the JT contract would look like in the final couple of years. It would probably be an anchor, but maybe he had help deliver a Cup or two.

Instead, one f***ing series win heading into the final year of his deal.

It's almost like Leaf fan knew what they were talking about.

Reactions: ToneDog

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Almost every Leaf fan knew what the JT contract would look like in the final couple of years. It would probably be an anchor, but maybe he had help deliver a Cup or two.

I mean, the two biggest goals in the last two playoffs were created by him. Meanwhile... the biggest goals for opponents in almost all the series were created by Marner.

Reactions: Kazparov

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
I mean, the two biggest goals in the last two playoffs were created by him. Meanwhile... the biggest goals for opponents in almost all the series were created by Marner.
That's like saying I'm the tallest midget.

It still doesn't make the JT deal a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I don't see any barriers to removing Shanahan from his role, Keefe from his, and trying to move one of the core... the first two should be easy. Why don't you believe it would be reasonable to move on from Shanny and Keefe?
Oh no, I meant to make all the changes that we believe to be necessary. Shanahan and Keefe need to happen this summer at the latest. To me, the key is what will we get for Marner?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Yup. Paid for a Ferrari and got a 4 year lease on a Lexus and 3 years on a Ford Pinto.

What is worse is we paid for a Ferrari for Mitch but it stalls in April.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Friedman on RK&B
  • Thinks the offseason won't happen the way everyone expects it to. Thinks they'll do something that no one sees coming. Expects a curveball
  • Internal discussions, going back to Dubas last year, about eliminating / consolidating the president's role and having that person report directly to CEO Pelley. Not unanimous internally (Bell, Rogers, Tanenbaum) about extra layer of management being needed.
  • If Shanahan is gone, expects the position to go as well.
  • Thinks Keefe being given exit interview options suggest decision has already been made on his future.
  • Points out that last year, Treliving took his time, looked around at other coaching options, and decided that external options weren't as good as Keefe. Says they could take their time, again.
  • Thinks Keefe did a good job this year - overcame injuries on defense, played well in the playoffs, but understands fans frustration. Keefe's interview struck him as someone who believes his time is over. Thinks Keefe will do a good job in this league
  • Doesn't think Sullivan is leaving Pittsburgh, or Cooper is leaving Tampa.
  • Thinks New Jersey has real strong interest in Berube, and if the Leafs want him, they better get moving.
  • Berube has multiple teams heavily interested.
  • Thinks Berube would be intrigued by the Devils because of the young core, but also thinks the Toronto job is appealing because the reward for winning here is immense. Agreed that this market might not be for everybody

• Marner is represented by Darren Ferris - his philosophy has always been to take his client right to free agency. Leafs have to prove that they can hardball someone on negotiations.
  • Thinks Darren has told Marner to go right to free agency.
  • Has no issues with Marner's "god" comment. Thinks he is wired too tight, but cares and tries.
  • If he was around Marner, would ask him if it's worth going through all of this all over again - can see the frustration and pain.
  • Thinks Marner's number is at least Willy's number - $11.5M - $12M.
  • Agrees that the time to deal Marner is this summer. Thinks the egos get involved, and thinks there could be a bit of "I'm not going to let them force me out and I'm going to do it on my terms".
  • Kypreos thinks that if the Marner camp can get an offer of $11.5-$12M x 8 years from a team he can see himself playing for, the deal can get done this summer
  • Thinks the Leafs would be open to letting other teams negotiate an extension with him.
  • There would be 29 teams looking at Marner if he's available
  • Last summer, when they dangled William Nylander, they told teams that they weren't losing a deal - if they didn't get a player of similar stature back, they weren't going to make the move. Ponders whether Toronto's approach changes this summer, for the cap space.
  • Doesn't think Tavares will waive his NMC. Doesn't think they can come back next year with the core 4.

• Expects clarity on Keefe by Friday.
  • Thinks they are looking at things currently, establishing who their targets are
  • Getting mixed messages on whether the league is ready to let Quenneville return.
  • Thinks Leafs will try and extend McCabe.
  • Thinks they'll target Montour, Tanev, or Pesce. Treliving will go after those Dmen. Need to target goalies.
  • They wanted Woll to prove that he could be their number 1 guy, but now concerns turn to whether he can stay healthy
  • Samsonov talking about term suggests he's not coming back. Doesn't think they bring Woll / Samsonov tandem back next season
  • Leafs received a lot of calls about Dennis Hildeby at the deadline - thinks he could be in play.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
Friedman on RK&B
  • Thinks the offseason won't happen the way everyone expects it to. Thinks they'll do something that no one sees coming. Expects a curveball
  • Internal discussions, going back to Dubas last year, about eliminating / consolidating the president's role and having that person report directly to CEO Pelley. Not unanimous internally (Bell, Rogers, Tanenbaum) about extra layer of management being needed.
  • Thinks Keefe being given exit interview options suggest decision has already been made on his future.
  • Points out that last year, Treliving took his time, looked around at other coaching options, and decided that external options weren't as good as Keefe. Says they could take their time, again.
  • Thinks Keefe did a good job this year - overcame injuries on defense, played well in the playoffs, but understands fans frustration. Keefe's interview struck him as someone who believes his time is over. Thinks Keefe will do a good job in this league
  • Doesn't think Sullivan is leaving Pittsburgh, or Cooper is leaving Tampa.
  • Thinks New Jersey has real strong interest in Berube, and if the Leafs want him, they better get moving.
  • Berube has multiple teams heavily interested.
  • Thinks Berube would be intrigued by the Devils because of the young core, but also thinks the Toronto job is appealing because the reward for winning here is immense. Agreed that this market might not be for everybody

• Marner is represented by Darren Ferris - his philosophy has always been to take his client right to free agency. Leafs have to prove that they can hardball someone on negotiations.
  • Thinks Darren has told Marner to go right to free agency.
  • Has no issues with Marner's "god" comment. Thinks he is wired too tight, but cares and tries.
  • If he was around Marner, would ask him if it's worth going through all of this all over again - can see the frustration and pain.
  • Thinks Marner's number is at least Willy's number - $11.5M - $12M.
  • Agrees that the time to deal Marner is this summer. Thinks the egos get involved, and thinks there could be a bit of "I'm not going to let them force me out and I'm going to do it on my terms".
  • Kypreos thinks that if the Marner camp can get an offer of $11.5-$12M x 8 years from a team he can see himself playing for, the deal can get done this summer
  • Thinks the Leafs would be open to letting other teams negotiate an extension with him.
  • There would be 29 teams looking at Marner if he's available
  • Last summer, when they dangled William Nylander, they told teams that they weren't losing a deal - if they didn't get a player of similar stature back, they weren't going to make the move. Ponders whether Toronto's approach changes this summer, for the cap space.
  • Doesn't think Tavares will waive his NMC. Doesn't think they can come back next year with the core 4.

• Expects clarity on Keefe by Friday.
  • Thinks they are looking at things currently, establishing who their targets are
  • Getting mixed messages on whether the league is ready to let Quenneville return.
  • Thinks Leafs will try and extend McCabe.
  • Thinks they'll target Montour, Tanev, or Pesce. Treliving will go after those Dmen. Need to target goalies.
  • They wanted Woll to prove that he could be their number 1 guy, but now concerns turn to whether he can stay healthy
  • Samsonov talking about term suggests he's not coming back. Doesn't think they bring Woll / Samsonov tandem back next season
  • Leafs received a lot of calls about Dennis Hildeby at the deadline - thinks he could be in play.
Lots of good stuff in here, thanks for sharing.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
New coach doesn’t even need to get extreme about it, let Marner play top-6 + PP like normal but run a system that no longer depends on him. Other players carry the puck in, someone else quarterbacks from the point, Marner plays like a normal hit and run wing instead of LARPing as a C.

Without his free system points he’s looking at a 70-80 point season without needing to visibly sandbag him. That hurts his next contract way worse than purposely torturing him with Kampf minutes where a GM will just ignore the results. A year of regular top-6 winger usage instead of running him as if he’s Kucherov is a realistic look at what he’ll bring to his new team, good luck with the 12+ demands at that point.
I don't recall any coach every sandbagging a better player so he loses money in FA.

The coach is also coaching to win and for his own job. He's going to run the most optimal lineup and whatever gives him the best chance to win. That's how the NHL works.

Reactions: Jojalu

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There should be absolutely no motivation whatsoever to trade Hildeby (ex. waiver or contract concerns). I suppose I can find some delight in a number of teams having made that call though???

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Let’s hope they erase Shanahan’s position, how many million does he make a year?
i think i heard he makes around 6/7m but who really knows

the thing is it'll go from the

GM to Shanny to the Board

to

GM to Pelley to the Board

so outside of saving some cash the structure remains the same and Pelley is no different than Peddie in that neither are hockey guys so i'm not really comfortable with that , not that my opinion means shit , lol

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't recall any coach every sandbagging a better player so he loses money in FA.

The coach is also coaching to win and for his own job. He's going to run the most optimal lineup and whatever gives him the best chance to win. That's how the NHL works.

It’s not sandbagging, it’s using him like Rantanen, Pasta, and basically every high end winger not named Kucherov or Panarin are used. Has nothing to do with spite but looking at our PP and ES breakouts and admitting the obvious: we need a new look. If playing Marner like a normal winger is a punishment, Nylander should be pissed that we’ve apparently been punishing his entire career.

It’s not like I’m saying to let Gregor run the PP, we have an elite skating replacement that protects the puck better and has a shot that’s a threat from distance, why is it crazy or offensive to run the PP through him for a while?

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That's like saying I'm the tallest midget.

It still doesn't make the JT deal a good one.
well said , lol

and it's hilarious people are praising him for a couple of lucky bounces especially this years like that was somehow much more important than than the goals that were scored in our other 2 wins

Reactions: Just Rude

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Friedman on RK&B
my guess is Rogers wants the position eliminated.

And I bet THE BOARD really didn't like the fiasco with Shanny/Dubas power struggle and how all that played out and ended up in the media. This is a board. They don't like to operate mickey mouse. Highly corporate structure that wants "clean" moves.

Last edited:

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
my guess is Rogers wants the position eliminated.

And I bet THE BOARD really didn't like the fiasco with Shanny/Dubas power struggle and how all that played out and ended up in the media. This is a board. They don't like to operate mickey mouse. Highly corporate structure that wants "clean" moves.
Knowing Rogers, they've told Shapiro to wait until Friday to fire Schneider so it gets overshadowed by the Leaf news. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

The Shanascam and Shatkins Show. Sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
That would never happen because they would leave, but I guess that will never happen either because people are scared it looks mean.

It's not mean for them to fail and get paid handsomely for it, it's mean for the failures to have consequences lmao.

No your approach is childish, you live in fairy tale land where there are no consequences to failures because that would be mean.
The consequence is they move on for him.

Failing to be great is not a punishable offence. It just means that if Tor really believes that, he wouldcno longer be part of their plans.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Marner is the greediest of the bunch imo. Matthews a close second. He probably doesn't want to risk a new coach coming in and having a down year that could affect his contract.

His ego also struggles with not being liked. He did nothing to redeem himself this season like he did last season, and Nylander pretty much matched Marner's best season of production.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I think he would be open to a move, especially with a coaching change.

I'm perfectly fine with Shanahan being fired. It's his fault Dubas and Keefe have been here as long as they have. That said, he's probably the least important to get rid of.

Keefe and Marner need to go. Tavares will either walk next season or be signed to a cheap contract as depth. Marner is the worst of the bunch in the playoffs, which is pretty sad considering his competition.

The team can build around Matthews and Nylander for another 6-7 years. A rising cap + 22M from Marner and Tavares could fill out the roster nicely. It would be great if Woll could stay healthy for a season.

They need to hit on more guys like Domi who can compliment Matthews and Nylander and provide similar production at a much lower cost, even if it's not as impactful as Marner or (Tavares of 3 seasons ago). They've tried the all talent approach and attempted to shove square pegs in round holes. It didn't work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad