Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Man's trying to look good for future employers. :laugh:
I couldn't care less why he did it.

I lied to myself this morning - I thought nothing they could say would change how I felt, but turns out I actually wanted to see some actual anger, fire, and piss & vinegar about how poorly this has gone, and instead we got the usual nonsense about how much they all love holding each other's hands.

I appreciate Keefe had the balls to take on accountability and responsibility in a way that no one has done so in a decade of this mess.

Reactions: Just Rude

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Compiling all interview notes into one post for those that may have missed it:

Tavares EOS Interview:
  • On believing in the core - we are right there. Losing in game 7 OT shows how small the difference is. Lots of things could be alot different, just 1 shot away. The way we've competed and grown and embracing this time of year against defensive or physical teams, with whatever's required, the team has shown growth. Need to overcome hurdles. THat's on us, and on myself.
  • On extension - hasn't put much thought to it. Loves playing in Toronto. When I committed 6 years ago, saw tons of talent, and sees organization committed to winning.
  • On the heat on Mitch - Mitchy provides so much on and off the ice. His energy and personality makes him someone we love being around. Plays in all situations. Remarkable playmaker, reads plays really well. Very valuable piece of the group.
  • On how much growth he sees in Mitch - sees a lot of growth potential in everyone, himself included. Even in great years, always have to think about how to grow and get better. Have to keep getting better.
  • On how the time in Toronto has changed John, and biggest challenges playing here - been an amazing 6 years, and doesn't take captaincy for granted. Loves starting a family here. Has helped keep him grounded, and never takes being a Maple Leaf for granted. That has come with age.
  • On challenges - doesn't look at things as challenges, but amazing opportunities. Praises fans, and the belief they have in this team. Calls it an amazing opportunity. Overall, it's an incredible experience to play here as a Maple Leaf. When things are difficult, always have to reflect and look better, but have perspective on knowing that we are in a tremendous city and organization.

Mitch Marner EOS Interview
  • On offensive challenges - credits Bruins for structure. Says it was hard around their net. Felt like they got much better later in the series getting to the net.
  • On contract extension - will start thinking about that in the next week. Hasn't thought about it yet. Just focused on playing and being in the moment.
  • On wanting to stay in Toronto - that's the goal. He loves this city and this team. Grew up here.
  • On what it means to be Maple Leaf - really appreciates the love they get from the fanbase. Fans treat players like gods here. We saw it with the Raps a few years ago for the love they get, and that's the love they want.
  • On what it means to come short - sucks. It's the same shitty pain. Never fun going home this early. Never gets easier.
  • On why the core deserves another chance - We know it's not easy to win a cup. All out war. Never going to get easier. Always a challenge, which builds adversity, and will only make us better.
  • On where the difference comes - trusting themselves. Trusting that they've been in this position and that they will get through it.

Ilya Samsonov EOS interview
  • On the last few days - very tough. Don't remember another time where he felt shit like now. Has spent time with family to help. It's very tough. You think a lot about what happened.
  • On coming out in the series - needs to play better. Needed to make better saves. First of all, he's a professional and needs to be playing better. It's not about how we defend or powerplay - says he needed to be better for the team.
  • On the Pastrnak goal - doesn't think about it. Says his decision to not go for poke check is the right decision.
  • On what he's learned this season - really interesting season. Has learned a lot about how you change mentality quickly. Says he was very negative start of the season, but saw how he came back with confidence. Upset about the playoffs. Feels very negative about not delivering more.
  • On free agency priorities - loves Toronto. Loves everyone on the team. You never know. Says he hasn't discussed with his agent what the future holds. If we get some more chances in Toronto, to wear this jersey, he will be very happy.
  • On importance of term on next deal - last 3 years, has worked on 1 year deals. It's not easy. You think about your future. You're still human, despite having high confidence. Would like more stability. Would be good for his family.

Auston Matthews EOY Interview
  • On medical situation - got really sick after game 2. Played game 3 not feeling good, but in game 4 took a weird hit and couldn't go any longer. Doesn't want to provide any other details. Killed him to watch. Proud of the way they fought back. Tried to give it his all in game 7.
  • Refused to give anymore details on illness or injury
  • On lack of offense in the series - tough to generate offense this time of year. Teams playing extremely tight, not a lot of space. Says that special teams hurt them.
  • After frustration at another short run - always disappointing. Always want more. Sucks to be talking here when other teams are still playing. Wants to continue looking inward and getting better.
  • On the heat Mitch takes - in Auston's time here, there's always a scapegoat and a narrative. Always something. They love Mitchy. Great teammate and friend. We are all human beings. You take on a lot as players, and rightfully so. But when you see guys going through stuff like that, it's hard, you just try and support.
  • On expectations of changes moving forward - doesn't know. Not a question he can answer.
  • On the Coyotes leaving Utah (WTF WASTE OF A QUESTION) - Touched on it when it happened. Sad. Disappointing. Understands the NHL's viewpoint on it. They iwll be bringing back a team at some point.
  • On individual award nominations - it's always nice to be considered, but it's never fullfilling. Not what he's after. Wants to be the best teammate, leader on the team that he can be. Everyone here is after one goal. All the other stuff is nice, but not something that he's chasing or after or that makes him feel good. It's about winning. Frustrating.

Morgan Rielly EOY interview:
  • On emotions of last few days - always difficult. Felt it more this year than ever. Partly because of game 7 OT, partly being on the ice for the goal. His age.
  • How much hes' thought about the last play - a lot. Hard to describe.
  • On the heat Mitch is facing - thinks Mitch is an amazing human and a great hockey player. So any heat that he's facing, is undeserved.
  • On expectations on the group, and falling short again - thinks at this point, we are in a wonderful position where anything other than a championship is a disappointment. Very lucky to be in that position, but makes everything else other than a championship very difficult.
  • On why the gropu hasn't been able to break through - tough question to answer. Not an easy thing to do to win a cup. A lot of players and teams who try doing it as well, that fall short. For us, believe in each other and don't want to make excuses. Comfortable with expectations to get to that point. Doesn't have an answer as to why it keeps happening. That has been the driving force behind the off season and what we are trying to do next
  • On how far the team is - There's always change. This group will never be exactly the same. Reality of the league. That's the business. Just one of those things you have to face. Cliche about this being a tight knit group, but there's truth in that. On moving forward, there's a framework of what brought that closeness, that needs to be moved forward and built on.
  • On where he saw growth this season - comes out in different ways. THere are players here that have taken it upon themselves to take more leadership roles. Players have improved as players, leaders, and teammates. expectation has to be growth and improving. Comes out in all different ways.
  • On how close he thinks they are - don't want to stand here and say we are on the doorstep because we are sitting here today, doing this. The belief is there that it's attainable. There's work and improvement that has to take place. We will see how close we are. It feels both attainable and a ways away, and that's what drives you as an individual.

William Nylander EOY interview
  • On the last goal - happened fast. Didn't think he had time to think out there, before puck bounced off the wall for a dangerous chance. Hadn't seen that sort of play in the playoffs.
  • On big changes coming - my focus isn't on what changes are coming. We have incredible group. We've been battling years together, taking great steps. Game 7 OT, despite Matty and himself being out of games. Battled to get back in. Is a huge part to have in a group despite who is playing. Not happy with the result, but what we have here is great.
  • On the heat Mitch faces - incredible human. incredible friend. love the guy. there's always someone getting heat here regardless, that's just the way it is. Love him. Will always be something that people have to say, but that's the fact of playing in this market. Everyone loves him, and wants the best for him.
  • On lack of offense in playoffs - tighter in the playoffs. Not winning games 7-3 like in regular season. Guys throw bodies in front of pucks. Games are won in low scoring, tight affairs. That's what happens in playoffs.
  • On expectations on this team and frustrations - very frustrating. Thinks they had a group that showed a lot this year. Every year it's just frustrating. It's hard to say anything else.
  • On Willy's priorities this summer - just get better.
  • On history with Sheldon, going back to the Marlies - been with him a long time. Done a great job with our team. On his future, that's not my decision, that's for them.
  • On playing in the worlds? Don't think so
  • On his injury - Got hit, and got a migraine. Didn't know if there was underlying concussion. Couldn't really see out of his eye when it happened, so was hard to play then.

Sheldon Keefe EOY presser:
  • Today is always a difficult day. Worst day of the season. Should feel that way when you don't meet expectations. We are in the results business, and we didn't get results. As head coach, I take responsibility for that. It's not a good feeling. My job is to find solutions, and try to path ahead. I haven't done that. Took a step last year, and loved the resolve we showed this year. Clearly that's not enough, and that sits with me.
  • On the advantages of player exit interviews - each season is different. A lot of times you take direction of the GM on how they want to handle it. This season, it was just the coach, but less meetings. More casual conversations. Not much value in exit meetings. Moreso direction on offseason and training. More of a formality. Spoke with the team after Saturday, moreso than in seasons in the past. Let them know how I felt about the group. This is not a good day. Not a lot of productivity, but a chance to see the guys off and open door for more meaningful conversations moving forward.
  • On whether the lack of offense year after year is connected - You reflect and discuss it. Thinks that in each of those playoffs, you look at some of the missed opportunities - clean chances, breakaways, two-on-ones, rebounds that normally go in during the regular season but now they aren't. AS a coach, you think about how you can help your players through that and how you can generate more of it. Don't think they created enough of those chances. Faced a goaltender that put up great numbers. Part of that is on the goalie and opposition team, but my job is to find more ways to get through and generate more.
  • On opponents setting up so the Leafs "beat themselves" - on that comment, he meant teams sitting back in structure and being patient, and forcing you to make mistakes. We aren't unique in that sense, but ways to counter that are getting through the NZ quickly before structure is set, capitalizing on line changes, and getting to the net. Spending time on the inside. Thought as the series went on, felt they got better. Felt early in the series, they were getting plenty of looks in the inner slot as well. Thought they played much better defense, and showed great level of patience which is ultimately what it takes to win in the playoffs. Most disappointing is one shot away from getting away, and then the narrative changes - Leafs know how to play tight games, come back, win the right way. Felt after game 6 the best he's felt about the Leafs. Have to stick with that for the long haul
  • On what form him taking responsibility takes - looking for solutions, continuing to work, and build upon the things that were discussed. Felt this series was the best he felt about this group being able to play a playoff type of game consistently. Felt they came up big in big moments against Tampa, but in terms of their process and buyin for defending and physicality, that is the recipe for success. It takes what it takes. Felt his group took big steps.
  • On the OT winner - hasn't spent much time going through it. Their best player was flying through the NZ, and we didn't pick him out. Tough one, because I thought we did a great job defending through the NZ with structure, especially in Games 5 and 6. We didn't pick it up, and we didn't get a save.
  • On his expectation of returning next season - I'm in the coaching business. You don't get to make decisions on your position. Out of my control. My job is to find solutions and to create a path. Ownership and management make those decisions. I accept responsibility for not meeting results. I believe in myself, and I love coaching the Leafs. I believe, now more than ever, that we can win. The path always looks different, but you learn along the way, and I know I'm in a good place. My job is to continue improving as a coach, and take accountability for the fact that we haven't met expectations. I would certainly love the attention and focus to be on me as the leader.
  • On the PP struggles - In February, we were #1 in the NHL. We've been a top PP in the league for years. It was really good in the Tampa series. But like our overall offensive game in the playoffs, it hasn't executed. WE spent a lot of time searching for answers. Fact that it has looked elite, means you go to that and build trust towards that, which is difficult to do when it doesn't go well. Part of it is trusting in the plan - we tried different things around, and many different iterations to the first unit, but ultimately it comes down to execution and competitiveness. Winning faceoffs and puck battles, and then trusting and staying with it. The powerplay was good in game 7, just didn't score. There were times where the process was in place, but just didn't work.
  • On the criticism Marner is facing - Mitch is an exceptional player. Wants to win in Toronto. There's things that he did in the series that set us up for success. Took on tough roles, and helped stabilize the PK later in the series. THere's so many things he does that doesn't show up on the scoresheet. My job is to help our entire team, including Mitch, to come through in those moments, and I failed to do so, so I took responsibility for that.

Wow - that was... genuinely fantastic by Keefe. He might be out the door, but how f***ing refreshing is it to have someone actually take responsibility.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Keefe to Pitt is my bet.
He'll start in Wilkes-Barre for next season and Dubas will move him up when he gets a chance. Firing Sullivan to hire Keefe right away isn't politically correct enough for Kyle's "brand".

Similar to what he did with Babcock

Reactions: thewave

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
One that can defend I hope……..

Did you miss the series? Getting scored on wasn't the issue.

It boggles my mind that after another year of low-scoring hockey, fans once again want to tighten in our end instead of building a more offensive team.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Glad to see Rielly shaken. The defence displayed in overtime does not represent the quality given in the elimination games. We reverted back to train wreck D by familiar faces. First Liljegren with a big giveaway and then Rielly.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Tavares EOS Interview:
  • On believing in the core - we are right there. Losing in game 7 OT shows how small the difference is. Lots of things could be alot different, just 1 shot away. The way we've competed and grown and embracing this time of year against defensive or physical teams, with whatever's required, the team has shown growth. Need to overcome hurdles. THat's on us, and on myself.
  • On extension - hasn't put much thought to it. Loves playing in Toronto. When I committed 6 years ago, saw tons of talent, and sees organization committed to winning.
  • On the heat on Mitch - Mitchy provides so much on and off the ice. His energy and personality makes him someone we love being around. Plays in all situations. Remarkable playmaker, reads plays really well. Very valuable piece of the group.
  • On how much growth he sees in Mitch - sees a lot of growth potential in everyone, himself included. Even in great years, always have to think about how to grow and get better. Have to keep getting better.
  • On how the time in Toronto has changed John, and biggest challenges playing here - been an amazing 6 years, and doesn't take captaincy for granted. Loves starting a family here. Has helped keep him grounded, and never takes being a Maple Leaf for granted. That has come with age.
  • On challenges - doesn't look at things as challenges, but amazing opportunities. Praises fans, and the belief they have in this team. Calls it an amazing opportunity. Overall, it's an incredible experience to play here as a Maple Leaf. When things are difficult, always have to reflect and look better, but have perspective on knowing that we are in a tremendous city and organization.

• On offensive challenges - credits Bruins for structure. Says it was hard around their net. Felt like they got much better later in the series getting to the net.
  • On contract extension - will start thinking about that in the next week. Hasn't thought about it yet. Just focused on playing and being in the moment.
  • On wanting to stay in Toronto - that's the goal. He loves this city and this team. Grew up here.
  • On what it means to be Maple Leaf - really appreciates the love they get from the fanbase. Fans treat players like gods here. We saw it with the Raps a few years ago for the love they get, and that's the love they want.
  • On what it means to come short - sucks. It's the same shitty pain. Never fun going home this early. Never gets easier.
  • On why the core deserves another chance - We know it's not easy to win a cup. All out war. Never going to get easier. Always a challenge, which builds adversity, and will only make us better.
  • On where the difference comes - trusting themselves. Trusting that they've been in this position and that they will get through it.

• On the last few days - very tough. Don't remember another time where he felt shit like now. Has spent time with family to help. It's very tough. You think a lot about what happened.
  • On coming out in the series - needs to play better. Needed to make better saves. First of all, he's a professional and needs to be playing better. It's not about how we defend or powerplay - says he needed to be better for the team.
  • On the Pastrnak goal - doesn't think about it. Says his decision to not go for poke check is the right decision.
  • On what he's learned this season - really interesting season. Has learned a lot about how you change mentality quickly. Says he was very negative start of the season, but saw how he came back with confidence. Upset about the playoffs. Feels very negative about not delivering more.
  • On free agency priorities - loves Toronto. Loves everyone on the team. You never know. Says he hasn't discussed with his agent what the future holds. If we get some more chances in Toronto, to wear this jersey, he will be very happy.
  • On importance of term on next deal - last 3 years, has worked on 1 year deals. It's not easy. You think about your future. You're still human, despite having high confidence. Would like more stability. Would be good for his family.

• On medical situation - got really sick after game 2. Played game 3 not feeling good, but in game 4 took a weird hit and couldn't go any longer. Doesn't want to provide any other details. Killed him to watch. Proud of the way they fought back. Tried to give it his all in game 7.
  • On lack of offense in the series - tough to generate offense this time of year. Teams playing extremely tight, not a lot of space. Says that special teams hurt them.
  • After frustration at another short run - always disappointing. Always want more. Sucks to be talking here when other teams are still playing. Wants to continue looking inward and getting better.
  • On the heat Mitch takes - in Auston's time here, there's always a scapegoat and a narrative. Always something. They love Mitchy. Great teammate and friend. We are all human beings. You take on a lot as players, and rightfully so. But when you see guys going through stuff like that, it's hard, you just try and support.
  • On expectations of changes moving forward - doesn't know. Not a question he can answer.
  • On the Coyotes leaving Utah (WTF WASTE OF A QUESTION) - Touched on it when it happened. Sad. Disappointing. Understands the NHL's viewpoint on it. They iwll be bringing back a team at some point.
  • On individual award nominations - it's always nice to be considered, but it's never fullfilling. Not what he's after. Wants to be the best teammate, leader on the team that he can be. Everyone here is after one goal. All the other stuff is nice, but not something that he's chasing or after or that makes him feel good. It's about winning. Frustrating.

• On emotions of last few days - always difficult. Felt it more this year than ever. Partly because of game 7 OT, partly being on the ice for the goal. His age.
  • On the heat Mitch is facing - thinks Mitch is an amazing human and a great hockey player. So any heat that he's facing, is undeserved.
  • On expectations on the group, and falling short again - thinks at this point, we are in a wonderful position where anything other than a championship is a disappointment. Very lucky to be in that position, but makes everything else other than a championship very difficult.
  • On why the gropu hasn't been able to break through - tough question to answer. Not an easy thing to do to win a cup. A lot of players and teams who try doing it as well, that fall short. For us, believe in each other and don't want to make excuses. Comfortable with expectations to get to that point. Doesn't have an answer as to why it keeps happening. That has been the driving force behind the off season and what we are trying to do next
  • On how far the team is - There's always change. This group will never be exactly the same. Reality of the league. That's the business. Just one of those things you have to face. Cliche about this being a tight knit group, but there's truth in that. On moving forward, there's a framework of what brought that closeness, that needs to be moved forward and built on.
  • On where he saw growth this season - comes out in different ways. THere are players here that have taken it upon themselves to take more leadership roles. Players have improved as players, leaders, and teammates. expectation has to be growth and improving. Comes out in all different ways.
  • On how close he thinks they are - don't want to stand here and say we are on the doorstep because we are sitting here today, doing this. The belief is there that it's attainable. There's work and improvement that has to take place. We will see how close we are. It feels both attainable and a ways away, and that's what drives you as an individual.

• On the last goal - happened fast. Didn't think he had time to think out there, before puck bounced off the wall for a dangerous chance. Hadn't seen that sort of play in the playoffs.
  • On big changes coming - my focus isn't on what changes are coming. We have incredible group. We've been battling years together, taking great steps. Game 7 OT, despite Matty and himself being out of games. Battled to get back in. Is a huge part to have in a group despite who is playing. Not happy with the result, but what we have here is great.
  • On the heat Mitch faces - incredible human. incredible friend. love the guy. there's always someone getting heat here regardless, that's just the way it is. Love him. Will always be something that people have to say, but that's the fact of playing in this market. Everyone loves him, and wants the best for him.
  • On lack of offense in playoffs - tighter in the playoffs. Not winning games 7-3 like in regular season. Guys throw bodies in front of pucks. Games are won in low scoring, tight affairs. That's what happens in playoffs.
  • On expectations on this team and frustrations - very frustrating. Thinks they had a group that showed a lot this year. Every year it's just frustrating. It's hard to say anything else.
  • On history with Sheldon, going back to the Marlies - been with him a long time. Done a great job with our team. On his future, that's not my decision, that's for them.
  • On his injury - Got hit, and got a migraine. Didn't know if there was underlying concussion. Couldn't really see out of his eye when it happened, so was hard to play then.

• Today is always a difficult day. Worst day of the season. Should feel that way when you don't meet expectations. We are in the results business, and we didn't get results. As head coach, I take responsibility for that. It's not a good feeling. My job is to find solutions, and try to path ahead. I haven't done that. Took a step last year, and loved the resolve we showed this year. Clearly that's not enough, and that sits with me.
  • On the advantages of player exit interviews - each season is different. A lot of times you take direction of the GM on how they want to handle it. This season, it was just the coach, but less meetings. More casual conversations. Not much value in exit meetings. Moreso direction on offseason and training. More of a formality. Spoke with the team after Saturday, moreso than in seasons in the past. Let them know how I felt about the group. This is not a good day. Not a lot of productivity, but a chance to see the guys off and open door for more meaningful conversations moving forward.
  • On whether the lack of offense year after year is connected - You reflect and discuss it. Thinks that in each of those playoffs, you look at some of the missed opportunities - clean chances, breakaways, two-on-ones, rebounds that normally go in during the regular season but now they aren't. AS a coach, you think about how you can help your players through that and how you can generate more of it. Don't think they created enough of those chances. Faced a goaltender that put up great numbers. Part of that is on the goalie and opposition team, but my job is to find more ways to get through and generate more.
  • On opponents setting up so the Leafs "beat themselves" - on that comment, he meant teams sitting back in structure and being patient, and forcing you to make mistakes. We aren't unique in that sense, but ways to counter that are getting through the NZ quickly before structure is set, capitalizing on line changes, and getting to the net. Spending time on the inside. Thought as the series went on, felt they got better. Felt early in the series, they were getting plenty of looks in the inner slot as well. Thought they played much better defense, and showed great level of patience which is ultimately what it takes to win in the playoffs. Most disappointing is one shot away from getting away, and then the narrative changes - Leafs know how to play tight games, come back, win the right way. Felt after game 6 the best he's felt about the Leafs. Have to stick with that for the long haul
  • On what form him taking responsibility takes - looking for solutions, continuing to work, and build upon the things that were discussed. Felt this series was the best he felt about this group being able to play a playoff type of game consistently. Felt they came up big in big moments against Tampa, but in terms of their process and buyin for defending and physicality, that is the recipe for success. It takes what it takes. Felt his group took big steps.
  • On the OT winner - hasn't spent much time going through it. Their best player was flying through the NZ, and we didn't pick him out. Tough one, because I thought we did a great job defending through the NZ with structure, especially in Games 5 and 6. We didn't pick it up, and we didn't get a save.
  • On his expectation of returning next season - I'm in the coaching business. You don't get to make decisions on your position. Out of my control. My job is to find solutions and to create a path. Ownership and management make those decisions. I accept responsibility for not meeting results. I believe in myself, and I love coaching the Leafs. I believe, now more than ever, that we can win. The path always looks different, but you learn along the way, and I know I'm in a good place. My job is to continue improving as a coach, and take accountability for the fact that we haven't met expectations. I would certainly love the attention and focus to be on me as the leader.
  • On the PP struggles - In February, we were #1 in the NHL. We've been a top PP in the league for years. It was really good in the Tampa series. But like our overall offensive game in the playoffs, it hasn't executed. WE spent a lot of time searching for answers. Fact that it has looked elite, means you go to that and build trust towards that, which is difficult to do when it doesn't go well. Part of it is trusting in the plan - we tried different things around, and many different iterations to the first unit, but ultimately it comes down to execution and competitiveness. Winning faceoffs and puck battles, and then trusting and staying with it. The powerplay was good in game 7, just didn't score. There were times where the process was in place, but just didn't work.
  • On the criticism Marner is facing - Mitch is an exceptional player. Wants to win in Toronto. There's things that he did in the series that set us up for success. Took on tough roles, and helped stabilize the PK later in the series. THere's so many things he does that doesn't show up on the scoresheet. My job is to help our entire team, including Mitch, to come through in those moments, and I failed to do so, so I took responsibility for that.

Wow - that was... genuinely fantastic by Keefe. He might be out the door, but how f***ing refreshing is it to have someone actually take responsibility.

Thanks for that. Awesome stuff.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He'll start in Wilkes-Barre for next season and Dubas will move him up when he gets a chance. Firing Sullivan to hire Keefe right away isn't politically correct enough for Kyle's "brand".

When you're a snake its very important to not appear to be a snake. This is a lesson learned by all snakes that came before him. He probably has a copy of Rules for Radicals on his shelf.

Reactions: egd27

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I’ll give keefe credit, trying to look good for a future employment or not

He didn’t try to make any excuses, just said he needed to find answers and couldn’t

I still don’t put this series on him THAT much, my reasoning is the same most years. The pp falling off yea sure is his and Boucher’s fault for not adjusting, but it’s the one thing he shouldn’t have to adjust with our supposed firepower. Those 5 guys should work even if an echl coach had made their plays. I put the pp failure more than half the fault on the core 5. His issue was just not adjusting enough, he needed to go two units, or just drop one of the core 4 down completely but he didn’t. His adjustments are what kill him, he adjusts lines way too much and doesn’t let any chemistry develop, but still sent John Tavares out on the pp

All in all, I didn’t really like Keefe, but this is now coach 2 that this core has failed with. I hope they don’t get a chance at 3

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Tavares EOS Interview:

Thanks for detailing all that for those of us who don't watch. :thumbu:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Et tu Brutus……

Reactions: egd27

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Shooting from the point is a low percentage way to score goals, with no correlation to team success.... it's not a necessity.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard…….
Hard work is overrated for the omnipotent.
Kneel before me pitiful Leaf fans for I am the God of Shambles. You are not worthy.

1715018315931.gif

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Not really. Not as long as they can keep the defense corps intact. If you have a strong D Core, along with a #1 goalie, you will be in every game. You don't even need a true #1, just a 1B may suffice if you are facing shots from the outside all night.

They have a few leaks. These leaks ironically also happen to take a great deal of the cap space they need. Clean the space, find some UFAs or make trades.
They need at least a very capable and reliable backup/maybe lots of starts goalie until Woll proves he can stay healthy for an extended period of time, something he has not been able to do dating back to at least his college days.

How has having half the cap tied up into two centers and two wingers worked out so far in the playoffs? And we're talking about at least the past 5 playoffs. Then look at how their scoring drops off dramatically in the last 2 or 3 games of a series. A change needs to be made here, and all signs are pointing to that being Marner.

McMann, it turns out, has an injury history similar to Woll. So can he be counted on in the top 9? Will the bottom 6 ever stay mostly the same from one season to the next? Hard to build any type of team chemistry that way.

I think, and it's only my opinion, that the Leafs need a legitimate top 2 rhd who the opposition must respect on the PP. How can that be done? Marner alone will not get you that, so what would need to be added? Or else the other team is sending you back a bad contract of their own. After that, you have Rielly, McCabe, and Benoit who are capable of playing in your top 4. If Benoit plays in your top 4, who are your bottom 6 dmen going to be? Maybe Edmundson, but I have a feeling he will have to take less to play here because I think there will be better offers out there for him. I can't see Timmins ever becoming a full time bottom 6 defender, especially when you consider his play in the dzone.

Again, it's just me, but I see this as a mess because you're not looking at fixing all of this in one offseason.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Did you miss the series? Getting scored on wasn't the issue.

It boggles my mind that after another year of low-scoring hockey, fans once again want to tighten in our end instead of building a more offensive team.
I know if the other team scores more goals than your team you lose the game………

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Shooting from the point is a low percentage way to score goals, with no correlation to team success.... it's not a necessity.

Having D with offensive ability is though... shooting maybe not so much, but we had to have the least mobile and least skilled defensive core by a fair margin... in the current NHL, it is hard to score when your D only try to defend and don't do much else...

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The Leafs scored one goal in the 3 of the 4 losses but Sammy blew it. What a joke.
Jesus christ, the amount of people who get sensitive about this comment. Sammy laid in egg with his own goaltending performances, at no point did I say the rest of the team is absolved of wrong doing, they were also shit in their various own ways that I have critiqued in numerous posts already. What's a joke is your guys' inability to confer that. He had a sub .900 sv% on the series for crying out loud.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I thought everyone was either pretty good or as expected today. I'm not sure what people want from these. We're mad that some guys don't show enough emotion, but then we're mad when others do, and then we're sad when someone shows the same emotion as the guy we're mad at. I also don't understand the disdain for Marner's comment. Legit nothing there and everyone just hates him so much the media asked all of them about him specifically like they we're going to say anything other than he's a great human and teammate who wants to win.

There's nothing to really read into from anyone's comments. They are frustrated as much as any fan is (likely far more) and it shows in all of them, just in different ways. Management will do what it does, and I'm guessing that is going to be a lot of the same as we've seen the past few years. Try to find the solution in the aggregate, likely with a new coach. As much as so many people don't want to hear it, it's a very good team and success isn't linear. So many players and teams can never win it all... until of course they do win it all.

Reactions: Menzinger

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Tavares EOS Interview:

Thanks for compiling this... agreed on Keefe, he's a decent human being, with a great regular season record. Best of luck at your next role.. Marner was awkward. After this much failure, it's time for changes... good people will get axed, but it's necessary.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Hard work is overrated for the omnipotent.
Kneel before me pitiful Leaf fans for I am the God of Shambles. You are not worthy.

View attachment 865889
This is the problem with this core, I remember Babcock had to travel to the desert to wash Mathew’s feet because of some perceived slight, that’s when I knew the lunatics had taken over the asylum………

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Having D with offensive ability is though... shooting maybe not so much, but we had to have the least mobile and least skilled defensive core by a fair margin... in the current NHL, it is hard to score when your D only try to defend and don't do much else...
No argument there... Treliving likes his trees... that's what you are going to get with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad