Let's talk about Devin Cooley

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Have the Flames found a diamond in the rough here? This guy has been really good in every game I've watched him play this pre-season.

Per Devin Cooley:

"I didn’t have, really, any consistent goalie coaching until I went to the USHL at 18, 19 years old,” Cooley explained. I feel like my entire career, I’ve been trying to play catch-up."

“I always had this raw, athletic ability; I was mobile, I was quick, I was tall, so I had all the tools but I honestly had no idea what I was doing, for the longest time. In the USHL I finished like last in save percentage and goals-against average, so that wasn’t good at all, but I had all the tools, but like if you would have asked me ‘Hey, in this situation, what do you do here?’ I would be like ‘I dunno, I just figure it out.’ So that doesn’t work at the higher levels.”

“So now it’s like taking this raw talent and structuring it, and now being a lot more technical with things. Now I’m feeling a lot more confident, where it’s like if there’s a certain situation, I feel like ‘OK, I know exactly what to do here.’ Now it’s just continuing to build off that muscle memory, and get better and better.”

This summer, Cooley focused on staying taller in his net, along with little adjustments - ‘having my butt up,’ he says, for starters - along with a move away from ‘sitting back’ in his crease, and hand positioning.
His summer work was all about building the aforementioned muscle memory, rep after rep after rep.

“That’s been like a huge game-changer for me, just letting pucks come to me and using my body for them to hit me instead of feeling ‘I’ve got to get so low and track everything.’ It’s so hard to track, like it comes so fast sometimes.

“Having pucks hit me a lot more, it’s just made the game a lot easier for me.”

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Credit where credit is due...

Screenshot_20240926-191937_kindlephoto-726227931.png

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I just saw this article. I think its a bit premature...

... it looks like it’s going to be a tight, three-way battle for two positions on the opening night roster.
But I don’t think it should be much of a battle. Wolf and Cooley should be in the NHL to start the season with Vladar as the odd man out.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
His numbers have never been that great in his career (he also hasn't played that much), he's in his late 20's so we'll see.

Would rather try him and Wolf and ship Vladar out. IMO we know what we have in Vladar, an average/above average backup.

I know no one likes it, but I'd rock the 3 headed goalie monster to start the season. Not like we're trying to be competitive so f*** it, just rotate guys until you find out which one is the weakest and put them on waivers.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
His numbers have never been that great in his career (he also hasn't played that much), he's in his late 20's so we'll see.

Would rather try him and Wolf and ship Vladar out. IMO we know what we have in Vladar, an average/above average backup.

I know no one likes it, but I'd rock the 3 headed goalie monster to start the season. Not like we're trying to be competitive so f*** it, just rotate guys until you find out which one is the weakest and put them on waivers.
The issue w/ 3 goalies is it forces another defensive cut. If we sign Barrie that's likely Pachal or Solovyov getting waived instead of just Tinordi & Hanley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad