Let us Dream: Steven Stamkos to Toronto 2016/2017

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To put things into perspective, Stamkos has just come off a very disappointing year scoring 43 goals, good for second in the NHL coming off a broken leg. Says something about his abilities.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Since you brought it up. How does St Louis' numbers look without Stamkos since he was traded?

St. Louis' numbers look like a 40-year old winger who just retired. But it's fair to say that both their numbers suffered since being traded.

shack23

Oct 21, 2009
Nova Scotia
This thread will become null and void within the next few weeks after Stamkos who is currently in talks on a long-term contract extension with the Lightning is completed.

I believe the only way this dream comes true is if the Leafs and Lightning complete a trade if Stamkos contract talks go south. TB is never going to let Stamkos become a UFA and would deal him prior and his new team sign him long-term.

Kadri, Gardiner, Nylander and 1st in 2016 for Stamkos.

(or any combination of roster players and prospects not named Rielly and Marner).. So Leafs need to pony up trade assets if Stamkos realistically becomes a Leaf.

How exactly do the Lightning prevent Stamkos from becoming an unrestricted free agent, you can't force him to sign a deal. Doesn't matter if they do trade him to another team, if he refuses to sign with that new team he'll still become an u.f.a. Why the hell would the Leafs trade a boat load of young players for a guy that they could just sign unconditionally ?

shack23

Oct 21, 2009
Nova Scotia
This thread will become null and void within the next few weeks after Stamkos who is currently in talks on a long-term contract extension with the Lightning is completed.

I believe the only way this dream comes true is if the Leafs and Lightning complete a trade if Stamkos contract talks go south. TB is never going to let Stamkos become a UFA and would deal him prior and his new team sign him long-term.

Kadri, Gardiner, Nylander and 1st in 2016 for Stamkos.

(or any combination of roster players and prospects not named Rielly and Marner).. So Leafs need to pony up trade assets if Stamkos realistically becomes a Leaf.
I have no idea why you removed my first post. To repeat: How exactly do the Lightning prevent Stamkos from attaining free agent status ? They certainly can't force him to sign a new contract before they decide to trade him. If Stamkos makes it clear that he wants to attain UFA status so that he can decide which team he wants to play with, there is nothing Tampa Bay can do to prevent it. They may try to trade him with the remaining term on his current contract, but what team would be foolish enough to give up assets for him if its known that he will go wherever he wants when his current contract is finished. Giving up young prospects, especially the ones that you propose would be preposterous. Why not just wait and sign him unconditionally as a UFA ?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have no idea why you removed my first post. To repeat: How exactly do the Lightning prevent Stamkos from attaining free agent status ? They certainly can't force him to sign a new contract before they decide to trade him. If Stamkos makes it clear that he wants to attain UFA status so that he can decide which team he wants to play with, there is nothing Tampa Bay can do to prevent it. They may try to trade him with the remaining term on his current contract, but what team would be foolish enough to give up assets for him if its known that he will go wherever he wants when his current contract is finished. Giving up young prospects, especially the ones that you propose would be preposterous. Why not just wait and sign him unconditionally as a UFA ?

Yeah, if Stamkos has it in his head to move on to another club, Tampa is completely out of options. I guess for the sake of trying to secure his rights a team like us could make a trade to get in there early, but there's probably no sense in making a deal.

emg0827

Apr 4, 2015
Yeah, if Stamkos has it in his head to move on to another club, Tampa is completely out of options. I guess for the sake of trying to secure his rights a team like us could make a trade to get in there early, but there's probably no sense in making a deal.

40+ goal scorers always have value, regardless of how much term they have left. In such a situation i could easily see a trade, but the leafs would not be the team he would get traded too imo. Shanahan is smart enough to know that if he really wants to be a UFA, the only place he would sign with if not tampa would be the leafs. He would probably end up being traded to a western conference team for a year for a decent package. Toronto would then just sign him as a UFA without having to lose any of nylander/marner or other top picks/prospects.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
40+ goal scorers always have value, regardless of how much term they have left. In such a situation i could easily see a trade, but the leafs would not be the team he would get traded too imo. Shanahan is smart enough to know that if he really wants to be a UFA, the only place he would sign with if not tampa would be the leafs. He would probably end up being traded to a western conference team for a year for a decent package. Toronto would then just sign him as a UFA without having to lose any of nylander/marner or other top picks/prospects.

Yeah but Stamkos also has a NMC, so he could veto all trades, go on a final run with the Lightning and make a choice in the offseason. Completely handcuffing Tampa.

emg0827

Apr 4, 2015
Yeah but Stamkos also has a NMC, so he could veto all trades, go on a final run with the Lightning and make a choice in the offseason. Completely handcuffing Tampa.

I do agree that if we wanted he could completely screw with tampa in that sense, but he doesn't strike me as that type of person really. Plus when players are generally told that they aren't in the teams plans anymore and are asked to waive a NMC they typically do. However i'd imagine there'd be only a select group of teams (cup contenders) he'd be willing to waive for, and even less teams that may have what tampa would want in that type of trade. In the end everything is still speculation though. As of right now we don't have a clear picture yet of what is going on or will happen. He hasn't come out and clearly said i want to return 100%, but similarly talks haven't really heated up yet so we don't really know how he feels about the whole situation.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Based on the numbers, it looks like St Louis' numbers suffered more than Stamkos'.

And maybe it was he that benefitted more from the union.

I don't know man, he was putting up over 90-100 points well before Stamkos even came to town. It was also him who ran the show in the 2011 playoffs while Stamkos took the back seat (again). I think it was Stamkos who "benefitted" more from the "union," and there's more evidence on my side to back it than on yours. Based on the numbers, of course.

I do agree that if we wanted he could completely screw with tampa in that sense, but he doesn't strike me as that type of person really. Plus when players are generally told that they aren't in the teams plans anymore and are asked to waive a NMC they typically do. However i'd imagine there'd be only a select group of teams (cup contenders) he'd be willing to waive for, and even less teams that may have what tampa would want in that type of trade. In the end everything is still speculation though. As of right now we don't have a clear picture yet of what is going on or will happen. He hasn't come out and clearly said i want to return 100%, but similarly talks haven't really heated up yet so we don't really know how he feels about the whole situation.

Definitely. He's a classy and respectful guy who wouldn't just leave Yzerman high and dry. My prediction is that he re-signs with Tampa around the end of the summer.

Shwaguy*

At this point I'm not convinced that Shanahan can't get anything he wants. So why not.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I really don't understand the obsession of pinning our hopes in signing Stamkos.

Why not ask if Shanahan can deliver a contender? Can he build this team back to respectability? Can he bring a championship back to Toronto? Can we not be a great team without signing Stamkos?

I simply don't understand. He's the new Tavares, Perry, Nash...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think he will make the Leafs a contender but winning the Cup will take a bit of luck at the end. As for Stamkos, McDavid or whoever, it will depends on how their respectful teams play and how attractive is The Leafs the next couple of yrs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Stamkos is pretty overrated. I don't think he is a franchise changing talent, not at the money he'll command. If I had the chance, I'd take Tavares, Subban, Ovie, Crosby, Malkin, Doughty, Kieth, Seabrook, Toews, Kane, and possibly a few others over him. Easily. I wouldn't pay him top dollar. I just don't think he is THAT good. He is a very good player, but I don't think we need to gush over him. It would be a big mistake shelling out 12, 13, million per season for him.

Shwaguy*

Yeah honestly I could care less if we contend with or without Stamkos. I'm fairly certain we'll have a contender regardless.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Definitely. He's a classy and respectful guy who wouldn't just leave Yzerman high and dry. My prediction is that he re-signs with Tampa around the end of the summer.

He is classy and would do what he can to accommodate the Lightning if they ask within reason, but if he ultimately leaves Tampa, that does not make him "unclassy". He has earned the right to go where he wants through his 8 years of service to the Lightning. He can leave next year if he wants without being a bad guy.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I really don't understand the obsession of pinning our hopes in signing Stamkos.

Why not ask if Shanahan can deliver a contender? Can he build this team back to respectability? Can he bring a championship back to Toronto? Can we not be a great team without signing Stamkos?

I simply don't understand. He's the new Tavares, Perry, Nash...

This.

We all love Stamkos...... I mean how can you not? He is a STUD!

But, with all that said, as long as the Leafs stick to the plan, and continue to draft high end skilled players, we should be in great shape, with, or without Stamkos in 2-3 years.

I really believe after next years draft, the Leafs will be a Top 3 team in prospects, and we can finally be super excited again to be a Leafs fan.

We may not compete for 3-5 years etc, but at least we will be able to see the writing on the wall, and it's heading in a great direction.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Stamkos is pretty overrated. I don't think he is a franchise changing talent, not at the money he'll command. If I had the chance, I'd take Tavares, Subban, Ovie, Crosby, Malkin, Doughty, Kieth, Seabrook, Toews, Kane, and possibly a few others over him. Easily. I wouldn't pay him top dollar. I just don't think he is THAT good. He is a very good player, but I don't think we need to gush over him. It would be a big mistake shelling out 12, 13, million per season for him.

Ouch man, just ouch.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

:laugh: There goes any chance of anyone respecting your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad