Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
its got nothing to do with points. Why are you so focused on that? We are talking about a perceived effort issue not a skill issue. Fact is Drai doesn't need to give 100% effort every night than say someone like Connor Brown needs to bring to stay in the lineup.

No one is saying he sucks, Im saying he's lazy in his movements and efforts, especially during the long regular season. It has nothing to do with his point totals and effort doesn't alway equal point totals.
Playing a slower game doesn’t equal lazy.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
All don’t perform close to Draisaitl in the playoffs.
I agree Drai has a switch when the playoffs hit

How are they lazy players? Jesus Christ. Just the offseason work and training they have to do to even sit on an NHL bench would prove they are not lazy
What? You are basically saying anyone in the NHL isn't lazy because they are athletes.

We aren't comparing an NHL player to a fat guy that sits on the couch all day. We are comparing NHL players to each other and shockingly some are lazier than others.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I would call drai efficient, not lazy. He doesn't waste energy and motion.

But also if you can read a play you don't need to go hyper speed all the time. In many cases moving fast is to cover for blown coverage or lack of reading thel play. If they are smart and moving in a fluid motion to the game it works best and needs less effort

Also I am in the negotiate peaceably and fairly but in the end dra and mcd get all of Katz money that they want.

We either get them more pieces to build if they leave more on the table or we need to have them try to win it with a bunch of no bodies if little money is left
Great post. I do agree that Drai is more efficient than lazy. It's the same with Kucherov who is a smart player and uses his IQ (unlike Mcleod)

That said Drai does take the regular season off and I think those bad habits can hurt him a bit in the playoffs. He has had some bad mistakes.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
its got nothing to do with points. Why are you so focused on that? We are talking about a perceived effort issue not a skill issue. Fact is Drai doesn't need to give 100% effort every night than say someone like Connor Brown needs to bring to stay in the lineup.

No one is saying he sucks, Im saying he's lazy in his movements and efforts, especially during the long regular season. It has nothing to do with his point totals and effort doesn't alway equal point totals.
So you are now saying his laziness is key to his production since points don't matter , maybe he should become more lazy to boost it

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I pay Drai (and mcdavid) whatever they want, it’s up to management to make it work. Between browns cap penalty, Campbell and nurse contract and neal buyouts a good GM could make a winning team with 30+m tied to mcdrai.

Holland has been so incredibly average it hurts but Atleast he didn’t destroy like chiarelli

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
The number that Draisaitl picks doesn't matter, all that matters is the 8 year part. He's been on such a value contract that he deserves whatever he wants plus it also means Mcdavid sticks around for another 8 years. I also wouldn't doubt if both him and Mcdavid leave a little bit of money on the table to help the team in other areas.

Even if Mcdrai wanted a combined 40 million i'd still give it to them just so I can watch them play together for another 8 years.
I don’t think he nor the next GM can think this way. The cap moving forward doesn’t care he was underpaid in this last contract. He needs to sign a deal that works for the team as well. I don’t know exactly what that is but if we try to reward him with an extra $3 million for 8 years in this next contract just because that would likely be a mistake.

I want him here, think it gets done but this might not be a slam dunk either.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
I would call drai efficient, not lazy. He doesn't waste energy and motion.

But also if you can read a play you don't need to go hyper speed all the time. In many cases moving fast is to cover for blown coverage or lack of reading thel play. If they are smart and moving in a fluid motion to the game it works best and needs less effort

Also I am in the negotiate peaceably and fairly but in the end dra and mcd get all of Katz money that they want.

We either get them more pieces to build if they leave more on the table or we need to have them try to win it with a bunch of no bodies if little money is left
It is also how he skates. I know player like Mario Lemieux gave the impression he was not fast but those long strides of his gave that illusion. Players like Kariya and Pronger stated how FAST Mario was....an extremely deceptive player. Drai is the same...

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don’t think he nor the next GM can think this way. The cap moving forward doesn’t care he was underpaid in this last contract. He needs to sign a deal that works for the team as well. I don’t know exactly what that is but if we try to reward him with an extra $3 million for 8 years in this next contract just because that would likely be a mistake.

I want him here, think it gets done but this might not be a slam dunk either.
Even if he took a discount at 12 million then there's a chance that he probably doesn't live up to the contract in the last few seasons. You pay him for team loyalty and for everything he's done for the franchise during his career. He's going to retire as an all time great and deserves to play every game of his career as an Oiler.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I agree Drai has a switch when the playoffs hit

What? You are basically saying anyone in the NHL isn't lazy because they are athletes.

We aren't comparing an NHL player to a fat guy that sits on the couch all day. We are comparing NHL players to each other and shockingly some are lazier than others.
That’s right, no NHL players are lazy.

Your assessment makes no sense. You’re not comparing NHL players to actual lazy people, you are comparing elite atheletes to other elite athletes?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Pay the man.

This is a first ballot future hall of famer that teams can look for forever and never find. Draisaitl's game is driven by an elite processor, supported by an unquenchable thirst to win, and a diverse skill set to adapt to team need and situational play. He's an annual century producer whose results get better in the playoffs.

I think confusion for some comes with Draisaitl's ability to play two styles of play. A rush winger who can give and go with McDavid's unrivalled mach 4 disruption game finding open ice in wake of Connor's speed game. Draisaitl plays with pace as a McWinger. His style changes as a power centre to a puck carrier more methodical with his pace and reading versus reacting to defending with passing and shooting dual threat. It's exceptionally rare to have a 100 point centre and 50 goal score winger skill set within one body. His centre wing versatility with elite hockey processor, high character and compete level is an incredible strength (as it is with this team having several who can pivot effectively).

Draisaitl can play anyway that's asked of him with skill as an elite finisher, high end distributor, skill or power, clutch time face-off situations. I saw him play live as a junior in the Dub and I did not see this player become a top 3-5 NHLer and Hall of Fame player. His skating has improved so much and his goal scoring on timer is elite. Thought he would be a 30 G 50 A type player whose elite skill would be as a distributor and power centre.

Pay the man. Unicorns are impossible to find.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Pay the man.

This is a first ballot future hall of famer that teams can look for forever and never find. Draisaitl's game is driven by an elite processor, supported by an unquenchable thirst to win, and a diverse skill set to adapt to team need and situational play. He's an annual century producer whose results get better in the playoffs.

I think confusion for some comes with Draisaitl's ability to play two styles of play. A rush winger who can give and go with McDavid's unrivalled mach 4 disruption game finding open ice in wake of Connor's speed game. Draisaitl plays with pace as a McWinger. His style changes as a power centre to a puck carrier more methodical with his pace and reading versus reacting to defending with passing and shooting dual threat. It's exceptionally rare to have a 100 point centre and 50 goal score winger skill set within one body. His centre wing versatility with elite hockey processor, high character and compete level is an incredible strength (as it is with this team having several who can pivot effectively).

Draisaitl can play anyway that's asked of him with skill as an elite finisher, high end distributor, skill or power, clutch time face-off situations. I saw him play live as a junior in the Dub and I did not see this player become a top 3-5 NHLer and Hall of Fame player. His skating has improved so much and his goal scoring on timer is elite. Thought he would be a 30 G 50 A type player whose elite skill would be as a distributor and power centre.

Pay the man. Unicorns are impossible to find.
Leon essentially reinvented himself to play with McDavid. I honestly don't remember any player doing this to this extent while still retaining the ability to play his natural game at an elite level.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Leon essentially reinvented himself to play with McDavid. I honestly don't remember any player doing this to this extent while still retaining the ability to play his natural game at an elite level.
He's certainly in rarified air. Specifically with the one-timer finishing skills which is a specific ability that he grew and refined. His elite processor helps to anticipate and find open ice with McDavid but also lethal application with his high end distributor skills.

His development growth from junior to elite NHL is as large as I've seen with over a half century of watching junior age talent.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Can get extended July 1st...

What do you think/are comfortable with him getting on a deal?

Obviously we all hope he stays and I often wonder if he and McDavid have a handshake agreement between the two of them to stay put as it seems they and their partners are great friends.

12.5x8?
I think the Oilers should let him go after his contract expires. It's not going to be a popular opinion, but at his age and price tag, the Oilers would be better off going forward if they do not invest 13 million for 8 years into Draisaitl. Retooling is what they should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad