Value of: Legit Top 4 Defenseman and Legit Top 6 Forward to Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Sens need to do something big to turn it around into a playoff team. They need to get at least one legit top 4 defenseman and a legit top 6 forward. I'd say the only truly untouchables are Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson, Chabot. It would take a huge piece coming back their way to consider trading Norris or Sanderson imo but not impossible. Everyone else from the Sens is fair game.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Isn’t there a rumour with Fiala? That could be a nice get if Minnesota doesn’t make the playoffs. Or a pickup in the off-season

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Norris should be untouchable imo. I'd maybe keep him over Brady, maybe...

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
What would be the point of acquiring either of those 2 assets if Sanderson and/or Norris are involved?
They are not available in the slightest.

IMO Ottawa should target Kapanen with their 2nd round pick and pluses if needed.
And Sign Jan Rutta as a UFA to play with Chabot.

If they do that, they still don't have a legit starting goaltender without question marks though.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
This is a lost season anyway so why not wait and upgrade your team through free agency? It would be interesting to see the Sens land Giroux and/or Giordano on short term contracts. That kind of leadership so early on for the young Sens will pay dividends in the long run.

Other forward options are Forsberg, Hertl, Trochek, Burakovsky to name a few. Interesting options on the backend would be Lindholm if you're going big but I think a lesser defenceman might be the way to go so the kids get a chance to play.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Forwards from Vancouver that are available (in order of descending value):
Miller, Horvat, Garland, Boeser, Pearson, Motte, Chiasson

Defense from Vancouver (the first four can loosely be called top 4):
Rathbone (LHD), Myers (RHD), Schenn (RHD), Hamonic (RHD), Burroughs (LHD), Hunt (LHD), Poolman (RHD)
I've listed Rathbone because we have OEL and Hughes blocking him, if Ottawa is looking to roll the dice

We also have Halak if Ottawa want's a veteran back up. We also have DiPietro and Martin who have shown well in limited call ups.

I'd dangle Boeser and Rathbone, if those two pieces work for Ottawa, what kind of package would we be looking at as a return?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sens need to do something big to turn it around into a playoff team. They need to get at least one legit top 4 defenseman and a legit top 6 forward. I'd say the only truly untouchables are Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson, Chabot. It would take a huge piece coming back their way to consider trading Norris or Sanderson imo but not impossible. Everyone else from the Sens is fair game.
Stunned that you would consider moving Sanderson. Why not just wait and let him develop into his game? He should be playing in the top 4 by next Christmas at the latest. Surely you don't expect to make the playoffs this year? What's the hurry?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah...I'd have Sanderson in that untouchable group.

I also think you've gotta just give things time and forget about trying to hit a homerun in a rebuild situation. Just draft well, don't make stupid UFA/cap decisions and snipe cost-controlled players from cap strapped veteran-laden teams.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This is a lost season anyway so why not wait and upgrade your team through free agency? It would be interesting to see the Sens land Giroux and/or Giordano on short term contracts. That kind of leadership so early on for the young Sens will pay dividends in the long run.

Other forward options are Forsberg, Hertl, Trochek, Burakovsky to name a few. Interesting options on the backend would be Lindholm if you're going big but I think a lesser defenceman might be the way to go so the kids get a chance to play.

It's simply not feasible for the Senators to improve via free agency. Players aren't interested in going there. Several times this season Pierre Dorion has made public remarks about how it's been pretty much impossible to get free agents interested in coming to Ottawa.

They have to improve via trade, and they have to acquire players that don't have any sort of trade protection because those guys aren't going to Ottawa either.

Reactions: SquidNasty

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

1. Not an advocate of win now overreaches, it would be bad/unproductive for Rangers now, and while situational to dif teams at dif times, almost never works and is generally a bad idea.
Esp if assuming you want to not just make the playoffs but go far.

2. That said, extending courtesy to indulge OP musings.
2 basic ways to go as relates to NYR
Strome only for cheap futures
or big package for Sanderson

I don't see Sanderson being dealt. In theory if enuf were on the table, it could make sense, but OTT fans have been resistant to support this.

NY does not have surplus bluest blue chips, but going youth for youth with a premium blue chip returning could be an exception where an overpay makes sense. Howev, I'm not gonna go there unless Rangers and Sens fans want to try and have an honest appraisal about what currency would be enough, but still make sense for NY.

Strome is an overall small plus, warts and all, adequate otherwise and good+ but not great offensively. NY should move on but that aside, NY needs to move all of Strome, Geo, Nemeth + Hajek, + recover Hank's 1.5 buyout cap hit, just to be able to have 11m ish to pay for new Fox + Zib deals. There is ZERO way NY holds him going forward, and we should not be giving him even a min 5-6m per for multiple years he will want. We should give his mins to Chytil, Barron + Kravtsov.

tho he will want more, I think tight cap reality will force Strome to consider 5.25 x 4 or 5.6 x 5 which is doable for Sens and this is still a righty shot mid 6 C who can pinch hit on the top line.

Strome + NYR 2022 4th [Sens do not have a 4th this yr]
for
Sense 2022 and 2023 3rds

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Stunned that you would consider moving Sanderson. Why not just wait and let him develop into his game? He should be playing in the top 4 by next Christmas at the latest. Surely you don't expect to make the playoffs this year? What's the hurry?
Should clarify that I wasn't considering moving him or shopping him but was simply stating that it would take a huge piece coming back our way to even get him or norris in the conversation. I would much rather keep Sanderson and let him develop into the beast that he'll become.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
It's simply not feasible for the Senators to improve via free agency. Players aren't interested in going there. Several times this season Pierre Dorion has made public remarks about how it's been pretty much impossible to get free agents interested in coming to Ottawa.

They have to improve via trade, and they have to acquire players that don't have any sort of trade protection because those guys aren't going to Ottawa either.
I can see how that might be a problem lol

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Ottawa should not be selling good young players for veteran help at this stage of their rebuild. They have some great talent coming. Time to be patient. If any additions should be made the Sens are better served to get some mid tier guys in free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad