News Article: Lebreton...UPDATE - Agreement made with NCC.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The good news is we actually have people who research things like this, and the evidence shows that increasing the penalty is far less effective means of deterring a behaviour than increasing the certainty of being caught. So, if they really want to disincentivize people from speeding, they'd stay away from reading your posts on the subject and stick to the evidence.
Okay, so where is the evidence that shows speed cameras in school zones have accomplished anything other than making money for the province? Actual evidence and not anecdotal. How many lives were saved? How many accidents were prevented? Now balance that out with the profits they have made and show just how it is justifiable. Lets say for arguments sake on a stretch of road where there is a camera in use since it's installment injuries went down by 1 from 3 but that camera made $670,000 on fines, is that justifiable for reducing 1 injury? Now if lowering the speed resulted the number of deaths going from 100 to 70 then that wouldn't even by an argument that $670,000 was worth it. This is what I am getting at.

The good news is we actually have people who research things like this, and the evidence shows that increasing the penalty is far less effective means of deterring a behaviour than increasing the certainty of being caught. So, if they really want to disincentivize people from speeding, they'd stay away from reading your posts on the subject and stick to the evidence.
The bad news is we have dishonest people making decisions that screw things up more. I'm sure Jim Watson had the best minds feeding him info on how to do great things for our city.

A false equivalency is just what I needed for my bingo card, cheers!
You did prove my point.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Okay, so where is the evidence that shows speed cameras in school zones have accomplished anything other than making money for the province? Actual evidence and not anecdotal. How many lives were saved? How many accidents were prevented? Now balance that out with the profits they have made and show just how it is justifiable. Lets say for arguments sake on a stretch of road where there is a camera in use since it's installment injuries went down by 1 from 3 but that camera made $670,000 on fines, is that justifiable for reducing 1 injury? Now if lowering the speed resulted the number of deaths going from 100 to 70 then that wouldn't even by an argument that $670,000 was worth it. This is what I am getting at.
I've already posted studies on the effectiveness of speed cameras in reducing speeding and accidents. you just don't want to hear it.

People are in full control of whether or not they get a speeding ticket, they just need to change their own behaviour,

Is 670k worth eliminating 2 injuries? I suppose that depends on the severity, if even one of those injuries results in a death or had life altering repercussions, I'd say pretty damn easily yes.

Reactions: Relapsing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The bad news is we have dishonest people making decisions that screw things up more. I'm sure Jim Watson had the best minds feeding him info on how to do great things for our city.

Ok, so this is your way of admitting you have no idea what you're talking and are just pulling shit out of your ass? Glad we had this talk.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I've already posted studies on the effectiveness of speed cameras in reducing speeding and accidents. you just don't want to hear it.

People are in full control of whether or not they get a speeding ticket, they just need to change their own behaviour,

Is 670k worth eliminating 2 injuries? I suppose that depends on the severity, if even one of those injuries results in a death or had life altering repercussions, I'd say pretty damn easily yes.
You showed studies in general as they related to speed and deaths. You said you could not find specifics because the city does not release those. Ever wonder why? Scrutiny.

The argument has always been what is justifiable. Your argument is the government is my daddy and he keeps me safe.

• Haha

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You showed studies in general as they related to speed and deaths. You said you could not find specifics because the city does not release those. Ever wonder why? Scrutiny.

The argument has always been what is justifiable. Your argument is the government is my daddy and he keeps me safe.
The city releases numbers on individual cameras, it's all on Open Ottawa, you can go check it out if you like, I also posted news reports that cited specifics about the performance of speed camera;s in ontario

My argument is you pull shit out of your ass and spout it off as facts despite clearly not having a clue about what you are talking about.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

Right? Were you the one who referenced open Ottawa data showing an appreciable reduction in speeding violations at one of the ASEs?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Why do you want to speed in school zones?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I suppose if fines do not get the job done sufficiently, then an escalating series of punishments such as license suspension, vehicle confiscation, and/or jail sentence for multiple offences could have an effect.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Are speed cameras going to pay for the arena? If not, make a thread for speed cameras.
brilliant idea Loach!!!

have the city kick in the money it is earning from speed cameras to help build an arena!! i like it.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
I don’t understand how anyone ever gets a ticket from a speed camera with the amount of “speed camera ahead” signage that’s always posted before you actually pass the camera.

You really have to not be paying attention to get a ticket.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The city releases numbers on individual cameras, it's all on Open Ottawa, you can go check it out if you like, I also posted news reports that cited specifics about the performance of speed camera;s in ontario

My argument is you pull shit out of your ass and spout it off as facts despite clearly not having a clue about what you are talking about.
Out of his ass AND Joe Roga... Errr I mean GOD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad