Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN! 2-1 in a Shootout... Thank You Reimer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
reimer_reax.gif

Did you grab this from a PVR recording because it's fantastic.

snizzbone*

The hate Ranger gets is ridiculous. I'd far rather him out there on a regular basis than Fraser. Ranger actually has hockey skills.

Phaneuf Gunnarson
Franson Gardiner
Ranger Rielly
Fraser.

Ranger has hockey skills, but we already have a lot of hockey 'skills' in our lineup. Fraser brings the physical toughness play to our bottom pairs, nobody else does that. Rielly also needs someone who just stays at home and plays defense if he wants to succeed as of right now. Ranger needs to move the puck as well to be effective, unfortunately Rielly is much better at that.

I hope Rielly-Fraser is a pairing for a few games just to see how good it looks, because Rielly-Franson and Rielly-Ranger looked terrible, and it was more often than not the veteran on the pairing with the awfulness.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Rielly has 8 points in 18 games. Not bad for a rookie, especially considering he has been pretty decent defensively and along the boards.

Jake gardiner developing into a solid top 4, the points will come. I say he turns into a Bouwmester type defenseman.

Really? Apart from their swift skating where do you see the similarities?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Rielly has 8 points in 18 games. Not bad for a rookie, especially considering he has been pretty decent defensively and along the boards.

Jake gardiner developing into a solid top 4, the points will come. I say he turns into a Bouwmester type defenseman.

Gardiner is a much different dman the bouwmeester. Only thing they have in common is good skating ability. I see gardiners max potential topping out at a Brian Campbell type dman. I think we'll see what we have in gardiner by next season. Most defensemen start to really hit their stride at around the 300 game mark

Last edited:

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
Funny thing is the Leafs back-up from last year is leading the league in shut-outs.

If Reimer or Bernier had the Kings playing in front of them they could perform similarly. When you give up 36 shots a game instead of 25 shutouts are tougher to come by. That said, I liked Scrivens a lot. Glad to see him doing well in LA.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
If Bozak is back next game then Holland should probably go down. He turns the puck over so often in the neutral zone, really struggles in the D zone (especially getting it out of his own end) and doesn't add much offense. I mean how do you miss a wide open net like that? I'd rather have Smith in the lineup and Holland can still grow on the Marlies like Kadri did working on his all-around game.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

That could be the case and that's awesome if he does... I think the sky is the limit for both of these 2 and want no part in trading either one.

I can't state enough how extremely difficult it is for the opposition to play against what these 2 could do when they play there "A" game. Dump & chase becomes an issue cause they have the ability to skate out of the zone that can cause problems in getting a cycle game going... they have the ability to make the forchecker look stupid if they're allowed to skate with the puck out of the zone. The oppositions D will think twice holding the blue line cause one head fake and these 2 are gone... Gardiner gave Boston all kinds of problems in the playoffs when they tried to forcheck him and this element he provided almost single handedly turned the series around in Toronto's favor once he was dressed cause it slowed the forcheck down... now think what another one in Rielly could do paired with Phaneuf when he's ready for it?

The thing is these types of D men have to have the green light to carry the puck as they see fit if your going to get the most out of them. They can't have shackles on them of the "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID" analogy and think you'll get the best they have to offer cause it doesn't, the opposite happens, it makes them think too much rather than use there instincts of the moment that leads to mistakes from them. Limiting there ability as puck movers in just being the 4th man jumping into the play does just that limits them. They have to be allowed to carry the puck often lead the rush to get the most from them

I've said it many many times #FreeJakeGardiner & FreeMorganRielly these 2 possess the ability to control the game from the back end so let them do it for crying out loud.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I sound crazy but I'd beg Reimer and Bernier to play together for their whole career. Brings a tear to my eye seeing both of them play so well.

We're damn lucky to have such great goalies...no whiny punk, they just go about their business every single day. Zero controversy.

This is exactly what I'd like to see happen. It's obvious that the competition has helped Reimer, and I think it does the same for Bernier.

Plus, I'd hate to build a cup contender only to blow an entire season cuz the starting goalie goes down.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This is exactly what I'd like to see happen. It's obvious that the competition has helped Reimer, and I think it does the same for Bernier.

Plus, I'd hate to build a cup contender only to blow an entire season cuz the starting goalie goes down.

Its not going to happen. If these two continue the stellar play, we wont be able to afford both of them.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Passing the puck out of the O zone on the D to D pass. There were also a couple of giveaways in our D zone that would have gotten Ranger lynched!

I agree that Ranger would have been lynched for passing the puck out of the zone, but that doesn't mean Rielly played bad. It means Ranger-baiters are idiots.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
What a game. Felt pretty bummed after the tying goal. Reimer was an absolute beast, outstanding! Rielly looked really good. Lupul Kadri Clarkon were great together. Top line generated some chances too.

Great shutdown job on Washington's top line. Ovie's goal was a bad break. I don't blame Phaneuf for not trying to swat it away. Ovie's good enough to turn you inside out there.

Yup, Dion was actually perfectly positioned for where the puck would normally have bounced. Must be how teams feel playing against Kessel. You focus on shutting him down the entire game then slip up for a quarter of a second, and bam! back of the net...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Shoutout to Jamie McGinn who scored on Scrivens in OT tonight. Otherwise Scrivens would lead the league with a .950 sv%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad