Dreger: Leafs still working to extend Bertuzzi (Not going to happen, Post 74)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'm glad they make you laugh; I also wonder what you were saying about the Leafs at the end of round one and the D.

I think they would too. But locking up cap space on middle six wingers is a mistake.

I feel confident enough that they are accounting for needing more help than Tanev into these deals. There is also the reality that Tre kind of has no leverage with NMC all around and if guys won't waive, not much you can do but let them walk.

This is a multi year window. Add some D this year, add more next year. Meanwhile we will still have Domi and hopefully Bert

Reactions: Dr C

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I feel confident enough that they are accounting for needing more help than Tanev into these deals. There is also the reality that Tre kind of has no leverage with NMC all around and if guys won't waive, not much you can do but let them walk.

This is a multi year window. Add some D this year, add more next year. Meanwhile we will still have Domi and hopefully Bert
Tanev is a real hit and miss due to being Mr.Glass. If they can get someone like Theodore for Marner then there's real hope. Marner really has them in a bind because of the NTC so I'd rather they save some cap space and see who also becomes available before giving Bertuzzi a contract and having the opposing GM squeeze them on the Marner deal.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Tanev is a real hit and miss due to being Mr.Glass. If they can get someone like Theodore for Marner then there's real hope. Marner really has them in a bind because of the NTC so I'd rather they save some cap space and see who also becomes available before giving Bertuzzi a contract and having the opposing GM squeeze them on the Marner deal.

Like I said, I am quite confident they know what deals are out there to make. If there was a top 4 dman in UFA or trade out there, they know about it and have prioritized it. Different management, Dubas never prioritized it.

Reactions: Coach Parker

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Yes, the off-season finished on June 30th, 1 day before free agency. There's no possibility of trades or other moves being made, the roster is set.
I was asking if the Leafs are planning to run it back again with Tanev and a new partner for Woll, as I don't really follow Leafs rumours.

I guess I'm to infer from this weirdly hostile sarcastic answer that Leaf fans are still expecting major changes.

Reactions: Oyletime

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I was asking if the Leafs are planning to run it back again with Tanev and a new partner for Woll, as I don't really follow Leafs rumours.

I guess I'm to infer from this weirdly hostile sarcastic answer that Leaf fans are still expecting major changes.

No one knows. Everyone was certain Marner would be dealt, now we are being told they might run it back because of the NMC. No one knows what to believe.

But it is not running it back fully. They are retooling the defense and goaltending whether they like it or not. Forward group is largely guys you don't need to change (outside of the core which again, dead horse)

Reactions: inthewings

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
No one knows. Everyone was certain Marner would be dealt, now we are being told they might run it back because of the NMC. No one knows what to believe.

But it is not running it back fully. They are retooling the defense and goaltending whether they like it or not. Forward group is largely guys you don't need to change (outside of the core which again, dead horse)
Yeah, that's why I was asking. At the start of the offseason it seemed Marner was going to be dealt, but the team can comfortably fit Domi/Tanev/Bertuzzi and a quality partner for Woll without any cap issues, so it seems plausible now that they mostly just stay the course with changes at the edges of the roster.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Yeah, that's why I was asking. At the start of the offseason it seemed Marner was going to be dealt, but the team can comfortably fit Domi/Tanev/Bertuzzi and a quality partner for Woll without any cap issues, so it seems plausible now that they mostly just stay the course with changes at the edges of the roster.

Leafs have a lot of prospects NHL ready right now, especially up front. It is kinda saving their ass. But I do think we see a trade for a D as well

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

There's lots of time between now and training camp, we're expecting some big changes. There will be contracts going out, people are speculating Kampf/Jarnkrkok being dealt, still lots of time for a possible Marner trade to emerge.

Leafs need minimum 2 D-men, like bare minimum, so they are far from finished.

OversKy

Oct 12, 2023
In fairness, the Leafs' biggest problem in a bunch of their playoff series has been lack of scoring from their top 6. Bertuzzi and Domi provide the bite needed in a playoff run.
I like both those players, especially in the playoffs. The Leafs need another top 4 D man who can move the puck and/or provide offence besides Reilly. Eventually the poor guy is going to start his decline and I always saw him as a #2 Liljegren is a #5 on a good team unless he keeps improving. Woll is a health coin flip and definitely not a sure bet starter although I see the potential. Way bigger priorities but this all goes back to signing Tavares over EK65.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I agree. If he is willing to take the same deal as Domi I think at the point it is almost too good to not do.

Id dump jarnkrok and kampf to make it happen.

Exactly and it’d be a net zero. Those 2 can be replaced by Minten and Cowen right off the bat or if they want to give more development time to Cowen, you can easily get a Jarnkrok replacement

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Exactly and it’d be a net zero. Those 2 can be replaced by Minten and Cowen right off the bat or if they want to give more development time to Cowen, you can easily get a Jarnkrok replacement
Jarkrok and kampf can be replaced at half the price by Dewar and Gregor. Both who I prefer. Let Holmberg play 4c or Minten if ready. Either way better value I think. Leafs need some value contracts. I dont think Kampf at $2 million is an especially good valur. Jarkrok is probably ok value wise but I just dont like his game. No really good at anything but useful up and down so he sticks around. The kids will all pass him as soon as this year imo.

Reactions: Leafs87

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Jarkrok and kampf can be replaced at half the price by Dewar and Gregor. Both who I prefer. Let Holmberg play 4c or Minten if ready. Either way better value I think. Leafs need some value contracts. I dont think Kampf at $2 million is an especially good valur. Jarkrok is probably ok value wise but I just dont like his game. No really good at anything but useful up and down so he sticks around. The kids will all pass him as soon as this year imo.

Gregor can't hod Jarnkrok's jock

Reactions: smitty10

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Toronto Treliving seems to be the same as Calgary Treliving.

This team is destined for mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia