Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nick Robertson (1 year, $875k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Credit where credit is due. He got on the board vs Montreal vs a more NHL populated roster and did what he's supposed to. Score goals. Had some dipsy doodle moments at the blueline entry on the PP that turned into a scoring chance for Montreal, which illustrates some of the risks and frustrations with the guy, but if he can actually be a 2 G a night guy once in a while that will buy him more time. Was buzzy out there but not beyond reason, looked good and has built himself some momentum and confidence.

Reactions: Skullz

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Perfect situation for the team thanks to his great play. They can get a high value return now or just keep him and take advantage of cheap and likely consistent scoring. It’s a win/win at this point. Glad he didn’t go to Europe.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Hope Robertson makes the team and has a solid year, they’ll be a place in the top six next year with JT and Marner gone. This will be his show me contract……

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hope Robertson makes the team and has a solid year, they’ll be a place in the top six next year with JT and Marner gone. This will be his show me contract……
I'm not confident that JT and Marner will be gone, but that's a subject for a different thread. I'm not really into polls but an interesting question to me is which one of JT/Marner is more likely to be on our team next season?

Edit - I decided I'm interested enough to start a poll. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Credit where credit is due. He got on the board vs Montreal vs a more NHL populated roster and did what he's supposed to. Score goals. Had some dipsy doodle moments at the blueline entry on the PP that turned into a scoring chance for Montreal, which illustrates some of the risks and frustrations with the guy, but if he can actually be a 2 G a night guy once in a while that will buy him more time. Was buzzy out there but not beyond reason, looked good and has built himself some momentum and confidence.

Berube seems to understand that some trade off exists between creativity and defense. obviously you want to limit the puck getting turned over, but he seems to value hard work and competitiveness most. You can keep players and coach the risky plays out of your game. On the flip side, I think it’s turnovers as a result of laziness or avoidance that are going to get you benched and maybe called out under this staff.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Berube seems to understand that some trade off exists between creativity and defense. obviously you want to limit the puck getting turned over, but he seems to value hard work and competitiveness most. You can keep players and coach the risky plays out of your game. On the flip side, I think it’s turnovers as a result of laziness or avoidance that are going to get you benched and maybe called out under this staff.
Great post! Agree with every word, especially the bolded.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

To me, Robertson will be a player they have to actively manage: he has two sides to his game which don't always compliment each other and can negate one another: the energy checker, dog on a bone mentality and the sniper's gift.

Superficially, the sniper wants to be open, wants to ghost and pounce when the moment is right. Robertson also likes to handle the puck which isn't always a strength. However, the checker wants to be busy bee on the ice and chasing and wants to keep it simple and have the coaches trust in an energy role. So basically are you knee deep in the dirty work or are you staying above the fray so you can sneak in and score a goal.

Overall Robertson does come in at higher risk than you want, but if he keeps delivering then the rewards are there.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
To me, Robertson will be a player they have to actively manage: he has two sides to his game which don't always compliment each other and can negate one another: the energy checker, dog on a bone mentality and the sniper's gift.

Superficially, the sniper wants to be open, wants to ghost and pounce when the moment is right. Robertson also likes to handle the puck which isn't always a strength. However, the checker wants to be busy bee on the ice and chasing and wants to keep it simple and have the coaches trust in an energy role. So basically are you knee deep in the dirty work or are you staying above the fray so you can sneak in and score a goal.

Overall Robertson does come in at higher risk than you want, but if he keeps delivering then the rewards are there.

If they cannot marry the two sides of the player overtime, then they’ll have to find way to insulate him in the lineup. Like putting him with strong defensive forwards or making sure to have a player behind him on the powerplay.

I’m willing to bet Nick figures it out with experience though

Last edited:

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
As I've always said he has an NHL shot, probably top 3 on the team if not top 5 of all players on the roster since he's been here. You start to question if you build a line around him, worst case you have Phil Kessel lite. Best case 2.0. in fact I'll go out on a limb and say since Kessels days even the best shots on this team have been. Matthews Kessel Robertson.
If Burtz is the really the only Net minus that we didn't get better return for or free agent signing. I could see this guy might be able to change that saying too a blessing in disguise. Small bonus you know Dallas will always have a silent interest in this guy. He also was very much the Go to Player for the Pete's when he was here and it is a hockey town. I can see Toronto not having an effect on him. He wants playing time might as well see what we have. He signed for reasonable amount and didn't take the hold out into training camp. Probably less money then arbitration would have awarded. Hope he does well he's worth the risk imo.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Lest we forget the man helped nurture and develop Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou. This isn't his first time working with offensively gifted young players and turning them into capable NHLers.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad