Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jani Hakanpaa - 2 years 1.5M AAV (in progress)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He is supposed to be our bottom pairing Dman and not our #1.
If he can’t play for a while or ever, LTIR him and get another Dman.
It is not a big deal.

Reactions: Puckstuff

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So, if he isn’t officially on the roster, there is a medical examination clause right? It’s weird he isn’t on the roster yet.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
It could be that they knew he had a knee issue requiring surgery and signed him anyway. He might be a low-key deadline deal, and in the meantime, they can just use his cap money up front.

Low risk bet for what could be a 6'6 RHD addition later in the season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maybe the NHL stepped in and there's something going on between the league and the Leafs? I doubt this contract could be insured, so it's almost like the Leafs bought the LTIR room on purpose.

I suspect the league intervened.
Perhaps but wouldn't that be reported?

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Perhaps but wouldn't that be reported?

I have no idea, but I'm interested to see what happens here. Signing a player you know has no prospect of playing in the near term. Maybe there are rules around this, or at the very least conduct rules that we're not privy to.

The last example I can think of is Kane last year. He didn't sign until he was cleared, maybe they had to wait all along.

Reactions: stickty111

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Maybe the NHL stepped in and there's something going on between the league and the Leafs? I doubt this contract could be insured, so it's almost like the Leafs bought the LTIR room on purpose.

I suspect the league intervened.
There is no benefit to signing someone to put them on LTIR... in reality, it's a detriment... so no chance that is happening.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I think it's a gamble. The Leafs are betting they can rehabilitate him. The return is they get him at a discount if it works.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
There is no benefit to signing someone to put them on LTIR... in reality, it's a detriment... so no chance that is happening.

Step 1: sign injured player
Step 2: put them on LTIR
Step 3: miss out on other UFA D, don’t accrue TDL space, don’t gain any cap space
Step 4: spend assets trading for a guy you could have just signed instead
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1.5m is not a discount, even aside from the injury stuff. It's the same price he got on his last UFA contract when he was younger and better.
Comparables got paid.... Edmundson $3.85, Boosh $3.25, Brodie $3.75, Zadorov who is a 4/5 $5 mil, Ian Cole $3.1

It seems he hasn't been actually signed yet, or the deal is held up for some reason, so I suppose we should relax on this until it's official... but you get what you've paid for... we didn't pay what others paid for a physical bottom pairing D, that much is for certain. Hakanpaa is a 6/7 with us for now, we've got Benoit who performed very well for us last year, so depth is good. I don't think it would have made sense to spend $3 mil plus, to have a 6/7 when we have Benoit already.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Comparables got paid.... Edmundson $3.85, Boosh $3.25, Brodie $3.75, Zadorov who is a 4/5 $5 mil, Ian Cole $3.1
Other players being given stupid contracts doesn't change that this is not a discount for what Hakanpaa is.
He would be getting 3.85m Joel Edmundson money or more if he was healthy.
No he wouldn't. He'd be getting 1.5m if he was healthy, just like last time.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I dont think Hankanpaa would've signed knowing that he might never be able to play hockey again. Clearly his intention is to play.

My guess is the physical definitely shows the injury he sustained last season and maybe Treliving is trying to negotaite the contract to even a lower AAV :laugh:

He has a whole off-season to recover

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Other players being given stupid contracts doesn't change that this is not a discount for what Hakanpaa is.

No he wouldn't. Just like he didn't last time.

I agree, stupid contracts... and yet, that's the market value price for third pairing guys this year... Dumb.... If you receive something, for a price below market value, that's a discount price, even if you don't like that price.

Let's not get worked up about a guy, who isn't officially signed, who many of us wanted over some of those other names listed, at a price less than 50% below what others have paid. If he ends up playing for us, and returns to the form he had pre-injury... it's a massive win. If he doesn't return to form, and ends up on LTIR... oh well... we tried to get a guy at a discount.

He's a 6/7.... who may not sign with us.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I agree, stupid contracts... and yet, that's the market value price for third pairing guys this year...
I mean, it's not. The price of bottom pairing defensemen varies wildly, from league minimum to like 5m.
For Hakanpaa's performance, impact, skillset, and age, 1.5 is pretty standard, and what he got last time too. It not being a horrific overpay does not make it a discount.
Let's not get worked up about a guy
I'm not. I actually said I liked the signing, before learning of this injury news. We just shouldn't be misrepresenting it as a discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad