Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jani Hakanpaa - 2 years 1.5M AAV (in progress)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Not sure what to make of the knee injury report. But if he is okay, fits well. Shouldn’t be an every day player though if we are all healthy. But brings size and pk ability.

Good signing.

alskie

Sep 30, 2013
Niagara Region
Not sure what to make of the knee injury report. But if he is okay, fits well. Shouldn’t be an every day player though if we are all healthy. But brings size and pk ability.

Good signing.
Story is from Steve Simmons so take from it what you will. He sort of runs his stories with half truths.
Jim Nill GM for Dallas said Hakanpaa had his knee scoped during playoffs with no further surgery needed so there is that.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Story is from Steve Simmons so take from it what you will. He sort of runs his stories with half truths.
Jim Nill GM for Dallas said Hakanpaa had his knee scoped during playoffs with no further surgery needed so there is that.

Stars fan here coming in peace. We've heard the exact same rumor during the playoffs too . Injury similar to what Bishop had BUT Bishop said when he retired that if he was a skater could've continued his career . Not sure how true that statement was but Bishop also was bone on bone in his knee with little to no muscles left in his knee.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
FWIW, there has been zero talk about Hakanpää's knee injury in Finnish media (other than that he has had one during the spring). I'm pretty sceptical about his career being on the line.

Maybe he is f***ed up beyond all repair, but that comes as news to me as a Finn. I knew he was injured during the spring, but there was no talk of it being anything serious. If that's the case, that caphit is still almost fully buryable isn't it?

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Medicine has evolved and now I think althletes have tried to avoid surgery and now they have a product that helps build cartlidge etc in the knee to help bone on bone issues.

Im a old man that has had about 15 knee surgeries over my lifetime and the more they go in...the worse it got. They warned me.

Waiting for second knee replacement now.

I know this type of procedure is early in developing but I think some basketball and NFL players have tried it. Its a year long process to regrow the cartlidge.

Hopefully Hakanpää's knee is fine and just needs maintenance throughout the year and not surgery.
Its a great add if he is healthy and one of my favorite signings by Tre

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Thats like 2 bottom pairings, Benoit-McCabe likely starts as 2nd pair. You'll see Liljegren and Hakanpaa likely rotate playing with OEL. I wouldn't be shocked if Niemela earns a chance around deadline or by injury. But I think they start him on the Marlies to continue to develop his defensive game.

I would really like him on the team at some point because he could very well be the best defender in our system when it comes to offensive skill set.
If Hak is healthy, Benoit is the #7
Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Lil
OEL - Hak

McCabe - Tanev PK1
and OEL - Hak on PK2

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I know Simmons is a clown , but Kypreos just said Dallas had major concerns on his knee. This isn’t a made up rumor.
Actually Kypreos said in response to Simmons "the only thing I would tell you, you've got to really believe the Leafs knew about it and checked it out and had their doctors look into it, either they had their own physical on him or report off it. I've got to think they checked it out through and through and are comfortable enough".

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Actually Kypreos said in response to Simmons "the only thing I would tell you, you've got to really believe the Leafs knew about it and checked it out and had their doctors look into it, either they had their own physical on him or report off it. I've got to think they checked it out through and through and are comfortable enough".
Kypreos also said Dallas had major concerns of his knee. Why are we giving the Leafs the benefit of the doubt based on some of their recent signings lol?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Kypreos also said Dallas had major concerns of his knee. Why are we giving the Leafs the benefit of the doubt based on some of their recent signings lol?
Just adding more context to your citing Kypreos, it's a direct quote, nothing to quibble about. Maybe it's why we got him so cheap and maybe it's why we're keeping Lil, as he said even if knee on bone you can play with it, but it flairs up. We got this guy for next to nothing, maybe because of the risk. With our situation we couldn't afford Boosh or Ed, this fits a need. Let's see, if he's done, put him on LTIR, isn't the end of the world imo. If he plays, fantastic value.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Stars fan here coming in peace. We've heard the exact same rumor during the playoffs too . Injury similar to what Bishop had BUT Bishop said when he retired that if he was a skater could've continued his career . Not sure how true that statement was but Bishop also was bone on bone in his knee with little to no muscles left in his knee.
Thanks for this. Did Stars fans generally like this guy as a player? I read a few stars fans last year who kept saying they wished Dallas would upgrade on the guy. Was he seen as an effective player?

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Just adding more context to your citing Kypreos, it's a direct quote, nothing to quibble about. Maybe it's why we got him so cheap and maybe it's why we're keeping Lil, as he said even if knee on bone you can play with it, but it flairs up. We got this guy for next to nothing, maybe because of the risk. With our situation we couldn't afford Boosh or Ed, this fits a need. Let's see, if he's done, put him on LTIR, isn't the end of the world imo. If he plays, fantastic value.
I don’t even think his contract is officially been signed yet , the Leafs have not posted about it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Thanks for this. Did Stars fans generally like this guy as a player? I read a few stars fans last year who kept saying they wished Dallas would upgrade on the guy. Was he seen as an effective player?

He was an effective player, until the knee injury caused him issues... at which point his mobility became impaired. If the surgery fixed it, and he's fine, he should go back to being a useful third pairing guy, who is good on the PK.

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

serp

Jan 17, 2016

He injured his knee at one point during the 22-23 season and never fully recovered since. Was bad when he came back that year and also in the 23 playoffs. There was some rumblings he would get surgery last offseason but he didn't and just went with a conservative approach. That worked for maybe a third of the season where he looked decent . Afterwards his game started to really slip badly until he was shut down in March and he hasn't played since.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He injured his knee at one point during the 22-23 season and never fully recovered since. Was bad when he came back that year and also in the 23 playoffs. There was some rumblings he would get surgery last offseason but he didn't and just went with a conservative approach. That worked for maybe a third of the season where he looked decent . Afterwards his game started to really slip badly until he was shut down in March and he hasn't played since.
Not good, I’ve had several scopes and had both knees opened up, if it’s just a cartridge problem that’s not too bad, but once your ligaments are torn your never the same, think of a elastic band that’s been overstretched……….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad