Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jani Hakanpaa - 2 years 1.5M AAV (in progress)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
For me, Liljegren, Robertson and the 2025 second round pick is basically a place holder upgrade waiting to happen. So I could see a decent puck mover brought in to really fix the 6 man unit at some point with Hakanpaa in the 6-7th defense role.

With big bodies like Tanev, Hakanpaa, Benoit, OEL I could also see a world where a Niemela coming up would be well protected and play a puck moving role on a rookie audition.
Could potentially see something like this next year:

Rielly Tanev
OEL Hakanpaa
Benoit Niemela

That's 3 fairly balanced pairs of offense and defense

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
OEL and Rielly, known as nasty hitters.

Benoit or Hakanpaa will be in the pressbox.

This D is not as "nasty" as people think...

I'm happy that he went the skill route more than signing or trading for terrible big D like he did last year.
For today's pop quiz, read the above, then select the best response:

a) A rare strain of "medicinal therapy" now available at the dispensary locks one into this amazing fantasy land.
b) OP's wording been intentionally chosen to try to trigger rational coherent thinkers into blind rage.
c) OP genuinely embraces the stated perspective.
d) School just got out for the summer, so screw this.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
LTIR is a negative for the team, especially to stash a #6/7 there on purpose.

This is the first year in I don't know how long that we can accumulate cap in season.

I’m not convinced the Leafs are in any kind of shape to go out and burn futures on deadline acquisitions in 2025 so accruing cap for those purposes is academic. Our credit card bill on Dubas’ going away party is due.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Like they did on Klingberg?

Between Matt Murray, Nick Foligno, John Klingberg, and the handing of Jake Muzzin, let’s just say the Toronto Maple Leafs have not been particularly careful when it comes to battle planning with old war horses. Under Dubas or Treliving. If there’s something wrong with Hakanpaa he would be the cheapest of these errors.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Between Matt Murray, Nick Foligno, John Klingberg, and the handing of Jake Muzzin, let’s just say the Toronto Maple Leafs have not been particularly careful when it comes to battle planning with old war horses. Under Dubas or Treliving. If there’s something wrong with Hakanpaa he would be the cheapest of these errors.
I like his game, let’s hope he’s healthy enough to help the team…….

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
After yesterday my answers an emphatic NO……..
Honestly this is how I've felt since watching what he did in Calgary and then seeing what he did last summer.

He’s exactly what we need so hopefully he’s healthy.
Yeah. I know very little about the player, I'd like for him to be able to bring what Schenn did in his previous stint with the team. I don't need the guy to be some flashy player with thunderous hits, just someone that clears the crease, plays smart and makes players think twice about getting too close to Woll.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Uh , McCabe is a huge part of our blue line. He's not losing a spot to Topi Niemala.
If they can afford him after this year. It will really depend on how things go with JT, if he extends, how much space does he leave the team to build something. If JT wants to stay he'd take a significant cut so we can pay McCabe. I agree with you, he's a huge part of the group and we need him to stay.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’m not convinced the Leafs are in any kind of shape to go out and burn futures on deadline acquisitions in 2025 so accruing cap for those purposes is academic. Our credit card bill on Dubas’ going away party is due.

Treliving probably shouldn't have used 6 picks last deadline if we need to save picks...

I wish they'd trade all of Cowan, Robertson, Niemela, Knies, Greb, and Minten for picks so that everyone would stop crying over the lack of them.

Regardless, LTIR does nothing for the team, so it is weird to suggest it as a strategy.

I assume that his injury is not that bad.

Reactions: smitty10

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Could potentially see something like this next year:

Rielly Tanev
OEL Hakanpaa
Benoit Niemela

That's 3 fairly balanced pairs of offense and defense

Thats like 2 bottom pairings, Benoit-McCabe likely starts as 2nd pair. You'll see Liljegren and Hakanpaa likely rotate playing with OEL. I wouldn't be shocked if Niemela earns a chance around deadline or by injury. But I think they start him on the Marlies to continue to develop his defensive game.

I would really like him on the team at some point because he could very well be the best defender in our system when it comes to offensive skill set.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He’s exactly what we need so hopefully he’s healthy.

More no offense D is how we score more goals? Because that is exactly what we need.

Thats like 2 bottom pairings, Benoit-McCabe likely starts as 2nd pair. You'll see Liljegren and Hakanpaa likely rotate playing with OEL. I wouldn't be shocked if Niemela earns a chance around deadline or by injury. But I think they start him on the Marlies to continue to develop his defensive game.

I would really like him on the team at some point because he could very well be the best defender in our system when it comes to offensive skill set.

I think Benoit or Hakanpaa is likely our #7 to start the season.

Having a #7 be a potential $3 million player you just signed seems insane to me and reflects very poorly on Tre.

Outside of Klingberg, he is also the worst of those errors.

The upside is not there.

He is low-risk, but it isn't like he makes the team much better if he is healthy.

Reactions: TheScandal89

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Which is perfect because we can throw some of JT's money at him. Getting sick of the revolving door of players. He will resign. And next year/season has yet to start so you should be saying the season after next. But McCabe should be resigned for sure.
I like McCabe and would love to get him re signed but I'm not going to pencil him in to my 2025-2026 lineup, as it's no guarantee he will re sign. He might want to chase another big contract in FA

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Attachments

• 1719938621173.png
    1719938621173.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 1

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Has his contract officially been signed ? Saw on Twitter that it wasn’t but not sure if that was true lol

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Seeing that the source is Simmons does actually make me feel a bit better. Makes it less likely to be true. It is concerning considering Treliving's horrible assessments of injury risk thus far, but I'll assume the best here until there's more smoke.
Treliving probably shouldn't have used 6 picks last deadline if we need to save picks...
I wish they'd trade all of Cowan, Robertson, Niemela, Knies, Greb, and Minten for picks so that everyone would stop crying over the lack of them.
Don't forget McCabe. If we're concerned with the "credit card bill", we should probably return the top-4 defenseman that Treliving can't find on his own. We got it at a great price, and Treliving seems to be happily enjoying it, but you know... the bill seems to be the only thing that matters...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad