Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jani Hakanpaa - 2 years 1.5M AAV (in progress)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If we're worried about Hakanpaa's injuries, wait until we review Tanev's lol.

Either it's manageable or the leafs staff think they can rehab it. We wouldn't spend millions without basic comprehensive health reviews
I feel like I read this last July about Klingberg....

Was this guy's last game actually March 16? I thought he played in the playoffs?

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
OEL and Hakanpaa for same cap hit as Zadorov is tidy work.

I don’t see Zadorov as 3.5 million better then this guy and he slots properly as well.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
From various sources:
“Hakanpaa's lower-body injury is a knee issue that required an arthroscopic procedure, Mike Heika of the Stars' official site reports Friday.

Hakanpaa didn't play past March 16 because of the injury. He had two goals, 12 points, 33 PIM, 196 hits and 123 blocks in 64 regular-season outings in 2023-24. Although there isn't a specific timetable for Hakanpaa's recovery, he's not expected to need further knee procedures.”

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Tre has turned a soft ice cream D into a pretty nasty back end

Last year NHL Hits Ranking

02) Benoit
07) McCabe
15) Hakanpää
68) OEL
78) Rielly

I suspect under The Chief's leadership he will command a more physical game.

OEL and Rielly, known as nasty hitters.

Benoit or Hakanpaa will be in the pressbox.

This D is not as "nasty" as people think...

I'm happy that he went the skill route more than signing or trading for terrible big D like he did last year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Arthroscopy is often very minor, and you usually recover quite quickly. I'm in my 50's, had it done on my meniscus in late March, and I'm at 100% already, have been for a while. A younger person probably 6-8 weeks max.

This is a good signing for the dollars.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I'm happy that he went the skill route more than signing or trading for terrible big D like he did last year.

It's a nice blend of puck movement and physicality. Particularly because a guy like OEL can distribute the puck, but he's also not going to get caved on the board and has strength.

IMO I am guessing Trev wanted to bring back either Edmunson or Boosh for this role but they priced themselves way out not he market, and Trev went with Hankanpaa as an alternative plan.

Perhaps one reason the deal is only $1.5 AAV is the concerns of the injury.

Reactions: 4thline and nuck

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I’m worried that a lot of Dallas fans wanted to get rid of him. I think Benoit is a much better player than him right now. So as a 7th d-man I think 1.5mill is a bit much.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
6'7 everyday I guess
Reminds me of Chris McCalister

Hope he can stay healthy. Otherwise Marlies bound

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

He's clearly referring more to the top 3 guys and not OEL and Rielly, but even still, if there are a minimum of 192 d-men that played in the league last season (6x32, which is obviously under the actual amount), OEL and Rielly are still in the top half of hitters.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's clearly referring more to the top 3 guys and not OEL and Rielly, but even still, if there are a minimum of 192 d-men that played in the league last season (6x32, which is obviously under the actual amount), OEL and Rielly are still in the top half of hitters.

It is weird to include them in that case.

As I said, Benoit or Hakanpaa will likely be in the pressbox.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I'd be more concerned if we needed Hak to play every day. If he's just a 7th dman , I understand the gamble he's 6'7". But sounds like we should not have any expectations of him. His knee is bone on bone.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is very weird. You have to wonder if the Leafs did their due diligence here.

Hopefully this is uninformed speculation but there is a middle ground here where the Leafs are signing this player to stash away on LTIR till he’s healthy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Only time will tell on this one. He was a player many people wanted previously and if he recovers, he'll be a good addition. Knees are a funny thing, and there is no doubt his play was affected by this last year, which is why he was shut down and had the surgery. If he can't play... LTIR it is... Hopefully they did their diligence.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Attachment above was spewed by Steve Simmons from the Sun. Full article:

If I was a betting man I would bet that Steve is full of sh*t, as usual. Time will tell. I bet Hakanpaa starts opening night.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
OEL and Hakanpaa for same cap hit as Zadorov is tidy work.

I don’t see Zadorov as 3.5 million better then this guy and he slots properly as well.
Wait till the playoffs, sadly I don’t think your take here will age well, but I hope you’re right……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Only time will tell on this one. He was a player many people wanted previously and if he recovers, he'll be a good addition. Knees are a funny thing, and there is no doubt his play was affected by this last year, which is why he was shut down and had the surgery. If he can't play... LTIR it is... Hopefully they did their diligence.
Like they did on Klingberg?

Attachment above was spewed by Steve Simmons from the Sun. Full article:

If I was a betting man I would bet that Steve is full of sh*t, as usual. Time will tell. I bet Hakanpaa starts opening night.
I get the Simmons hate, but generally articles are based on some perception of reality, if the guy’s knee wasn’t a issue it wouldn’t be a focal point of evaluating his signing imo……..

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Hopefully this is uninformed speculation but there is a middle ground here where the Leafs are signing this player to stash away on LTIR till he’s healthy.

LTIR is a negative for the team, especially to stash a #6/7 there on purpose.

This is the first year in I don't know how long that we can accumulate cap in season.

I hope our doctors just did their due diligence and decided he is healthy or worth the risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad