Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jani Hakanpaa - 2 years 1.5M AAV (in progress)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Lyubushking is worth over 3M but Hakanpaa 1.5M?

I will say this is good business from Treliving.

My guess is that Hakanpaa wanted a lot more money which Dallas didn't want to give out, now that money has dried up he is taking what is available before more money is dried out.

OR

Dallas knows something that Leafs don't LMAO

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Does this mean they try to move Lily ?

I'd be shocked. Seems like Liljegren doesn't expect to move either based on his extension interview. But you never know I guess.

I suspect Timmins will be packaged with Robertson, or just flat out waived unless he dominates pre-season again.

My guess is that Hakanpaa wanted a lot more money which Dallas didn't want to give out, now that money has dried up he is taking what is available before more money is dried out.

OR

Dallas knows something that Leafs don't LMAO

He's older and got injured this past season. Maybe he just wanted to move on. Who knows. It's just weird Dallas gave up twice the money for a similar player.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I like this. Especially if he can get healthy. Dollars much better spent than on Eddy or Boosh.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He's older and got injured this past season. Maybe he just wanted to move on. Who knows. It's just weird Dallas gave up twice the money for a similar player.

This is what is surprising to me. They paid more for similar player. I wonder if their medical team stated that this is a risky contract and they went different route.

TBD how it pans out for the leafs. I am really surprised that dallas chose Boosh over him and twice the amount

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Really curious how the D pairings will shake out. Rielly-Tanev is a given. Little need for McCabe to play the right side now but if he goes back to LD one of OEL or Benoit will be sitting. Liljegren isn’t getting scratched after having $3 million a year committed to him.

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren

Webber and Hakanpää as extras.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Was he a healthy scratch or dealing with injury all playoffs? He didn't play.

Anyway, I think this means Benoit is the #7.

I'm not sure Hakanpaa is an upgrade on him though.

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
OEL - Hakanpaa

It's a little weird the Stars decided to let him go and sign Lyubushkin for 2 years instead.

They signed a better D, I don't think it is weird.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Was he a healthy scratch or dealing with injury all playoffs? He didn't play.

Anyway, I think this means Benoit is the #7.

I'm not sure Hakanpaa is an upgrade on him though.

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
OEL - Hakanpaa

They signed a better D, I don't think it is weird.

He was injured. It's the main reason Dallas made a big push to get Tanev.

And not sure what suggests he's better. And even if you think he's better -- something I can probably agree to, he certainly isn't twice as better. We're talking about Lyubushkin here... right?

Reactions: Da Mash and OVO16

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Really curious how the D pairings will shake out. Rielly-Tanev is a given. Little need for McCabe to play the right side now but if he goes back to LD one of OEL or Benoit will be sitting. Liljegren isn’t getting scratched after having $3 million a year committed to him.

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren

Webber and Hakanpää as extras.
Could look at it like this. Liljegren was insurance when we couldn't get another big name D, and Hakanpaa is insurance for Liljegren if he doesn't take a step.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Yup same thoughts exactly. What do they know that we don't? :laugh:
Sometimes a player becomes stale or out of favor. That's the NHL for 50% of the league. An injury away from being shelfed, traded or out of the league. A bad stretch from being waived or demoted.

I like experienced D Men. Leafs D is primarily veteran laden with quite a few in their prime. I always believe D Men age like fine wine, in their prime between 30-36 or so

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He was injured.

And not sure what suggests he's better. If he is better, he certainly isn't twice as better. We're talking about Lyubushkin here... right?

We are talking about a #5 vs a potential #7, I am not sure he is twice as good, but I think he's better.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We are talking about a #5 vs a potential #7, I am not sure he is twice as good, but I think he's better.

I mean they gave over 3M to Bush and Leafs got him at 1.5M.

He played 18 minutes a night for one of the best Western teams last season, and he played over 19 minutes the season before. He also played on their top PK pair with Lindell with over 3 minutes PK TOI/G. Not sure what makes you think he's a #7 in quality. I'll let you tell me why you think Lyubushkin is so much better.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Dude played 18 minutes a night for the Stars last season before getting hurt lol

He also somehow managed to lead the team in hits even though he didnt play the 2nd half of the season

Berube gonna love this guy

Reactions: The Iceman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I mean they gave over 3M to Bush and Leafs got him at 1.5M He played 18 minutes a night for one of the best Western teams last season, and he played over 19 minutes the season before. He also played on their top PK pair with Lindell with over 3 minutes PK TOI/G. Not sure what makes you think he's a #7 in quality.

Not saying I wanted to sign Lub at the cap hit over him, just that Lub is an upgrade, even if it isn't huge.

That's all.

I think he is a #7 ideally because he is a limited player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad