Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Jani Hakanpaa (2 years, $1.5M AAV) [in progress; medical delay?]

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
The concept would be to activate Hakanpaa at our leisure once the playoffs start and cap isn’t an issue.

Meanwhile we add a rental at the deadline who is a forward.
Would love that to be the case.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs now have Benoit ($1.35 mil) and Hakanpaa ($1.5 mil) as a 3rd pairing for $2.85 mil combined.

Remember when former Leafs management believed a $2 mil Justin Holl was untouchable and so vital and valuable to team success at that price point as a bottom pairing Dman, that they protected him in the expansion draft and gifted Seattle a 40 goal scorer in Jared McCann instead?

Boy have times changed ..The GM that thought that nonsense is now long gone, and Holl is barely an NHL any longer playing only 38 games for Detroit while a healthy scratch for the rest, while for a mere $850K Leafs now have an entire bottom pairing locked up, that are big, and physical and defensive oriented.

What a breath of fresh air and movement in the right direction,

I think the encouraging thing about this approach is you have a meat and potatoes foundation. So with the basics down pat you have a surplus of big defensive defensemen. You can then choose to diversify and add more puck carriers and speed and offense as required.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The Leafs now have Benoit ($1.35 mil) and Hakanpaa ($1.5 mil) as a 3rd pairing for $2.85 mil combined.
More accurately, our bottom pairing and 7th D costs us 5.85m, and that's not even counting the 3.5m bottom pairing defenseman that we'll have to play too high.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Remember when former Leafs management believed a $2 mil Justin Holl was untouchable and so vital and valuable to team success at that price point as a bottom pairing Dman, that they protected him in the expansion draft and gifted Seattle a 40 goal scorer in Jared McCann instead?

Boy have times changed ..The GM that thought that nonsense is now long gone, and Holl is barely an NHL any longer playing only 38 games for Detroit while a healthy scratch for the rest, while for a mere $850K Leafs now have an entire bottom pairing locked up, that are big, and physical and defensive oriented.

What a breath of fresh air and movement in the right direction,

You need to start following the team more, Liljegren or OEL will likely be on the 3rd pairing, unless of course, you think one of those players is the 7th D...

Your whole post is wrong.

Reactions: arso40 and Gallagbi

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
A friend of mine gets rooster comb injections ( as you say, hyaluronic acid knee injections) in essentially the same type of problem in his ankle. Bone on bone. Gets a shot then he’s good for a few months. It’s like there is no problem. Except he keeps waking up the neighbourhood at the crack of dawn.
hmmm rooster combs! they kinda remind me of something but I just can't put my finger in! err I mean on it

sorry bout that! back to your regularly scheduled programming

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think the encouraging thing about this approach is you have a meat and potatoes foundation. So with the basics down pat you have a surplus of big defensive defensemen. You can then choose to diversify and add more puck carriers and speed and offense as required.
My analogy is that of a boat on the water filled with holes and taking on water.. Priority #1 you address the problem and first you fix the holes to prevent you from sinking, then you fine tune the engine to see if it can run a little faster and smoother.

The Leafs were the 2nd highest scoring team with 303 GF in the NHL in 2023-24 under new GM BT one 1 single goal behind Colorado.

1720211089910.png

However the Leafs were 20th in Goals Against with the leagues 22nd ranked sv% .898.

1720211248534.png

So you fix the Defense and Goaltending first as Treliving has done and then you worry about replacing the 20 goals you lost when Bertuzzi walk out the door and wasn't replaced.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Benoit played every playoff game, Lil sat out becuse he stunk. He was easily the better player in the playoffs, so of course he’s your 7th and Lil is pencillled in? What. If anything, now that you have OEL on the pp, Reilly there as well, Lil becomes even less “valuable”. Hakanpaa’s drama keeps Lil in the mix, I do believe the reports the team was perhaps ready to move on from Lil and his signing to me was insurance, possible trade. Again this Hakanpaa issue has changed that metric, Lil might be more needed more now. Benoit outplayed him all year, the only thing that ever kept Lil in the lineup was his right hand, merit not so much.

My analogy is that of a boat on the water filled with holes and taking on water.. Priority #1 you address the problem and first you fix the holes to prevent you from sinking, then you fine tune the engine to see if it can run a little faster and smoother.

The Leafs were the 2nd highest scoring team with 303 GF in the NHL in 2023-24 under new GM BT one 1 single goal behind Colorado.

View attachment 892640

However the Leafs were 20th in Goals Against with the leagues 22nd ranked sv% .898.

View attachment 892641

So you fix the Defense and Goaltending first as Treliving has done and then you worry about replacing the 20 goals you lost when Bertuzzi walk out the door and wasn't replaced.
You have to figure Knies can step into the Bertuzzi role. Also OEL will bring a few more goals from the backend. Should be fairly seemless to fill the “void”. Also I expect more than 9 goals from Domi this year, even 15-18, there you go.

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If Reilly weighs more, then yes he is bigger.

I think you know that you are wrong so I probably won't respond after this, it's just getting repetitive and arguing with someone who can't admit they are wrong is pointless.

View attachment 892607

According to you, these 4 people are all the same size.

It makes no sense, we'd likely have more space if he wasn't on LTIR.

I don't see a reason to put him on LTIR, it isn't like he is making a significant amount, if they maximize the LTIR space, they can add $1.5 million.
This is like arguing which is better length or girth

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

View attachment 892640

View attachment 892641

Knies, McMann, and Robertson should be adequate enough to replace those goals. Domi likely won’t be as snakebitten, and on defence you’ve got at least two guys capable of scoring 10 goals (Rielly, OEL) with an outside shot for Liljegren who’s got a career high of six.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed, I don’t see him traded now, even if Hak is cleared, it’s still an issue and depth isn’t there. Unless Tre finds another Benoit this off season. There is nothing internal close.

I think they’re looking at Phil Myers hoping he can finally put something together. His development was interrupted in Philadelphia and hasn’t really been the NHL player people expected but where was Benoit 12 months ago.

But it wouldn’t hurt to get more reclamation projects. Adam Boqvist (is he still available as of Friday?) would be a nice start.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think removing puck-moving D for unskilled D is not ideal when scoring goals is what we need, so if we trade Liljegren without getting a replacement back we have other issues.

Benoit is likely the #7 so it is even less, it is not a big deal, but it's still more than I'd like to pay for a replacement player.

Reaves and Timmins might be two others who are in the pressbox, that is a lot of cap there.

Samsanov was re-signed by Treliving, just FYI.
Liljegren is too slow and is a poor puck mover.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The good thing is he took Samsonov to arbitration and only signed him to a 1 year deal. I think most of us assumed Sammy had earned a longer term stay.
Thought he may have received a tristen jarry type contract.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Liljegren is too slow and is a poor puck mover.
If it’s a passive defence he’s great, the moment he faces an intense forecheck he is by far, without peer, the worst puck mover. Blind panic passes up the wall routinely, zero poise to make the quick decisions necessary. Then factor in him getting owned physically, I don’t get it. Again, Ottawa in March, looks incredible, tight games, folds like a cheap suit.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If it’s a passive defence he’s great, the moment he faces an intense forecheck he is by far, without peer, the worst puck mover. Blind panic passes up the wall routinely, zero poise to make the quick decisions necessary. Then factor in him getting owned physically, I don’t get it. Again, Ottawa in March, looks incredible, tight games, folds like a cheap suit.
I like liljegren. I think his brain is really good and he’d like to be able to make plays, but he’s limited because of he physical inability. I don’t know if Berube will make a difference.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
People check this out.. :teach:

Leafs currently have 3 of the top 15 Dmen that lead the NHL in Hits last season in 2023-24.

Both Beniot (#2nd overall) and Hakanpaa (#15th) only played 64 games each missing 18 games and still managed to be among the leaders.

Toss in Jake McCabe (#7) while also missing 9 games and you have the NHL's MOST PHYSICAL Dcore based on Hits..

View attachment 892524

Lets not forget Blocked Shots either where all 3 Leafs defenders above recorded triple > 100 last year. However Leafs new addition Chris Tanev finished #3 outperforming all 3.

View attachment 892530

Now Look at that SIZE !!!

View attachment 892533

How can any Leaf fan not be excited as our new GM Treliving builds and reshapes the Leafs Dcore in his Vision to Big, Mean and Mobile? . :hyper::5:
Mobile is a bit of a stretch outside Morgs and OEL.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think they’re looking at Phil Myers hoping he can finally put something together. His development was interrupted in Philadelphia and hasn’t really been the NHL player people expected but where was Benoit 12 months ago.

But it wouldn’t hurt to get more reclamation projects. Adam Boqvist (is he still available as of Friday?) would be a nice start.

Why don't we give more of a chance to our current reclamation project?

Myers is behind Timmins for sure, he seems like a purely AHL signing, Timmins is also younger.

Haven't followed Boqvist's progress, but it looks like he was worse than Gudbranson which is saying something.

Don't mind a reclamation project, just think Timmins has more upside than either mentioned.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Knies, McMann, and Robertson should be adequate enough to replace those goals. Domi likely won’t be as snakebitten, and on defence you’ve got at least two guys capable of scoring 10 goals (Rielly, OEL) with an outside shot for Liljegren who’s got a career high of six.
Its all about playing the goal differential game.

If your team has +40 differential (Goals For - Goals Against) as a team, but your team is already near the top in GF then you're scoring at near max efficiency.

2023-24 Leafs 303 GF - 263 GA = + 40 Goal Differential

However if you now sacrifice a little offense (via cap space usage or player replacement) and drop 20 Goals For, but your improvement in Goaltending & Defense results in -40 less goals against

2024-25 Leafs projected 283 GF - 223 GA = +60 Goal Differential (which = major improvement) and likely shows up in standings and results if you score +60 more goals then you surrender.

That 223 mark is reasonable considering last year Eastern teams Florida (Cup winner 200 GA), Carolina (216 GA), Boston (224), NYR (229) ..

However the biggest benefit comes playoff time when the game tightens up and with less time and space ALL teams score at lower rates than regular season. However if you're now positioned to surrender less goals against your better positioned to win lower scorer games and need less offense to drive wins. ie .. All 4 X teams above in best GA were final 4 remaining in the Eastern playoffs & NYR vs. FLO in Eastern Conference finals.

"Defense win Championship" is a motto as old as time. ** That is because its easier to prevent a goal against, then manufactor a goal for **.

PS. With Leafs perhaps graduated a bunch of kids on ELC to help with the Cap and the offense they could absord that drop in GF via player loss and then you're really firing on all cylinders.

PPS. Craig Berube coached Blues in 2018-19 won the Stanley Cup with a top 5/6 defense and surrendering 223 GA on the season. :wg:

So its easy to see where BT is taking this team through his giant Dman signings like 6-7 Hakanpaa and other big physical Dman additions for his new coach to play his system.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Its all about playing the goal differential game.

If your team has +40 differential (Goals For - Goals Against) as a team, but your team is already near the top in GF then you're scoring at near max efficiency.

2023-24 Leafs 303 GF - 263 GA = + 40 Goal Differential

However if you now sacrifice a little offense (via cap space usage or player replacement) and drop 20 Goals For, but your improvement in Goaltending & Defense results in -40 less goals against

2024-25 Leafs projected 283 GF - 223 GA = +60 Goal Differential (which = major improvement) and likely shows up in standings and results if you score +60 more goals then you surrender.

That 223 mark is reasonable considering last year Eastern teams Florida (Cup winner 200 GA), Carolina (216 GA), Boston (224), NYR (229) ..

However the biggest benefit comes playoff time when the game tightens up and with less time and space ALL teams score at lower rates than regular season. However if you're now positioned to surrender less goals against your better positioned to win lower scorer games and need less offense to drive wins. ie .. All 4 X teams above in best GA were final 4 remaining in the Eastern playoffs & NYR vs. FLO in Eastern Conference finals.

"Defense win Championship" is a motto as old as time. ** That is because its easier to prevent a goal against, then manufactor a goal for **.

PS. With Leafs perhaps graduated a bunch of kids on ELC to help with the Cap and the offense they could absord that drop in GF via player loss and then you're really firing on all cylinders.

Series we lost:
1.71 GF, 2.57 GA
2.00 GF, 2.80 GA
3.43 GF, 3.29 GA
2.57 GF, 2.00 GA
2.00 GF, 2.40 GA

Series we won:
3.83 GF, 3.50 GA

Ya, we need to prevent more goals...

I keep saying it, but I think you should start watching the team more, you'd notice we need to score more, not defend better.

The best series we played (Tampa first year) and the series we won have the highest goals against.

Reactions: Gallagbi and arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why don't we give more of a chance to our current reclamation project?

Myers is behind Timmins for sure, he seems like a purely AHL signing, Timmins is also younger.

Haven't followed Boqvist's progress, but it looks like he was worse than Gudbranson which is saying something.

Don't mind a reclamation project, just think Timmins has more upside than either mentioned.

Timmins would fight the new guy(s) for a job.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think removing puck-moving D for unskilled D is not ideal when scoring goals is what we need, so if we trade Liljegren without getting a replacement back we have other issues.

Benoit is likely the #7 so it is even less, it is not a big deal, but it's still more than I'd like to pay for a replacement player.

Reaves and Timmins might be two others who are in the pressbox, that is a lot of cap there.

Samsanov was re-signed by Treliving, just FYI.
Probably had input from Keefe on his signings, since Treliving came in blind.

Makes sense, considering Keefe kept going to Samsonov...even though Samsonov looked like a fish out of water.

Reactions: arso40

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Probably had input from Keefe on his signings, since Treliving came in blind.

Makes sense, considering Keefe kept going to Samsonov...even though Samsonov looked like a fish out of water.

He went to Samsanov when he was outplaying Woll...

If a GM is that uninformed on players in the league when he was employed right before, there is an issue and he likely should not be hired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad