Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Jani Hakanpaa (2 years, $1.5M AAV) [in progress; medical delay?]

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Why would we trade the player that can potentially be our best 2-way defender?
He deserves a chance with a coach that doesnt misuse him non-stop to get a regular shift and partner and see what he is actually able to do, then, we decide.
You cannot give up on a guy that one game plays like your best defender, and then next game the coach gives him a new partner and role.

Liljegren consistently made bad give aways and lost puck battles, that'll get him a nice press box seat under any head coach.

Reactions: NJG and ACC1224

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
size can refer to multiple things, but in this context, it should be weight because that is how people use it when comparing people.

this can be summed up fairly easily... are Johnny Gaudreau and Ryan Lomberg the same size?
weight is never used to compare size, height is the standard. ...from childhood, kids are lined up by height, not weight.
when you look at add 'size' to a lineup, you look for the 'biggest' players, not the heaviest, else Rielly would be a feared defender, because at 225, he's our biggest defender by your definition

Liljegren consistently made bad give aways and lost puck battles, that'll get him a nice press box seat under any head coach.
he wasnt nearly as good after his injury, that is true, but, he was also always the most misused defender, so, i'm willing to see what he can do.

Reactions: Nineteen67

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
weight is never used to compare size, height is the standard. ...from childhood, kids are lined up by height, not weight.
when you look at add 'size' to a lineup, you look for the 'biggest' players, not the heaviest, else Rielly would be a feared defender, because at 225, he's our biggest defender by your definition

he wasnt nearly as good after his injury, that is true, but, he was also always the most misused defender, so, i'm willing to see what he can do.

He showed you exactly what he was, a soft defenseman.

He couldn't PK

Hakanpaa plays a playoff style game, he's basically right shot Zadorov with less PR, Liljegren's main competition is the salary cap and Simon Benoit to get into the top 6.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Can you please confirm?

Ryan Lomberg and Johnny Gaudreau are the same size?

Byfuglien and Engvall are the same size?

You're talking about something completely irrelevant in the second sentence, but yes Rielly is our biggest D.

He showed you exactly what he was, a soft defenseman.

He couldn't PK

Hakanpaa plays a playoff style game, he's basically right shot Zadorov with less PR, Liljegren's main competition is the salary cap and Simon Benoit to get into the top 6.

Zadarov and Hakanpaa are very, very different.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I hope he will be healthy enough to play for us. There's lots of noise in the media that he might not be able to come back from his knee injuries.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
size can refer to multiple things, but in this context, it should be weight because that is how people use it when comparing people.

this can be summed up fairly easily... are Johnny Gaudreau and Ryan Lomberg the same size?
like i said in the suit example ...size is height, and shest/shoulders first and foremost
...weight has nothing to do with size, unless you are talking about obesity ...if Gaudreau went on a diet of donuts and pork chops he could weigh more than Lomberg, but it wouldnt make him 'bigger' add Marchand to your example, he plays much bigger than he is too. Strength and style make them different, and also, not having a build (small shoulders) like a child.

is Rielly at 6' 1" 225lbs bigger than Haka who is 6'7" but only weighs 222lbs? for you Rielly is bigger right?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hakanpaa is a #6/7, so it isn't like bringing back a top 10 winger and $10 million in cap.

The idea is to use the cap if we are LTIRing til the playoffs, what can we do with $1.5 million? We would probably have more without LTIR.

Makes no sense.

The concept would be to activate Hakanpaa at our leisure once the playoffs start and cap isn’t an issue.

Meanwhile we add a rental at the deadline who is a forward.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
like i said in the suit example ...size is height, and shest/shoulders first and foremost
...weight has nothing to do with size, unless you are talking about obesity ...if Gaudreau went on a diet of donuts and pork chops he could weigh more than Lomberg, but it wouldnt make him 'bigger' add Marchand to your example, he plays much bigger than he is too. Strength and style make them different, and also, not having a build (small shoulders) like a child.

is Rielly at 6' 1" 225lbs bigger than Haka who is 6'7" but only weighs 222lbs? for you Rielly is bigger right?

If Reilly weighs more, then yes he is bigger.

I think you know that you are wrong so I probably won't respond after this, it's just getting repetitive and arguing with someone who can't admit they are wrong is pointless.

1720203663274.png

According to you, these 4 people are all the same size.

The concept would be to activate Hakanpaa at our leisure once the playoffs start and cap isn’t an issue.

Meanwhile we add a rental at the deadline who is a forward.

It makes no sense, we'd likely have more space if he wasn't on LTIR.

I don't see a reason to put him on LTIR, it isn't like he is making a significant amount, if they maximize the LTIR space, they can add $1.5 million.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That concept takes somebody with no knees who hasn't played in 13 months and throws him into the playoffs.
Treliving’s gotta tighten up his stance, play and the top of the crease and stay off the IR. Been saying it for a decade.
No, he needs to be an effective GM. Personally, I don't think the worst results in 14 years is worthy of praise.

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Reilly weighs more, then yes he is bigger.

I think you know that you are wrong so I probably won't respond after this, it's just getting repetitive and arguing with someone who can't admit they are wrong is pointless.

View attachment 892607

According to you, these 4 people are all the same size.

It makes no sense, we'd likely have more space if he wasn't on LTIR.

I don't see a reason to put him on LTIR, it isn't like he is making a significant amount, if they maximize the LTIR space, they can add $1.5 million.

Ideally Hakanpaa is a Leaf and he plays 82 games and is a factor on D at $1.5 million AAV. If he’s really hurt and needs more time, the calculation might be to “Vegas” him and have an extra D come playoff time when he’s healthy at no additional trade cost.

I know you really want to hate this deal but there’s not a lot of risk here.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Ideally Hakanpaa is a Leaf and he plays 82 games and is a factor on D at $1.5 million AAV. If he’s really hurt and needs more time, the calculation might be to “Vegas” him and have an extra D come playoff time when he’s healthy at no additional trade cost.

I know you really want to hate this deal but there’s not a lot of risk here.

I don't hate the deal, it's fine, but I don't think you have an understanding of how the cap works.

We have an expensive #7 whoever it is (Benoit or Hakanpaa), that's the only complaint.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't hate the deal, it's fine, but I don't think you have an understanding of how the cap works.

We have an expensive #7 whoever it is (Benoit or Hakanpaa), that's the only complaint.

Who says we keep Liljegren if Hakanpaa is healthy?

Also, Hakanpaa is what, $700K over league minimum? If that’s “expensive” we have bigger cap problems than what’s at the bottom of the roster.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I think removing puck-moving D for unskilled D is not ideal when scoring goals is what we need, so if we trade Liljegren without getting a replacement back we have other issues.

Also, Hakanpaa is what, $700K over league minimum? If that’s “expensive” we have bigger cap problems than what’s at the bottom of the roster.

Benoit is likely the #7 so it is even less, it is not a big deal, but it's still more than I'd like to pay for a replacement player.

Reaves and Timmins might be two others who are in the pressbox, that is a lot of cap there.

No doubt. Trusting Dubas’ goalie tandem carried risk.

Samsanov was re-signed by Treliving, just FYI.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think removing puck-moving D for unskilled D is not ideal when scoring goals is what we need, so if we trade Liljegren without getting a replacement back we have other issues.

Benoit is likely the #7 so it is even less, it is not a big deal, but it's still more than I'd like to pay for a replacement player.

Reaves and Timmins might be two others who are in the pressbox, that is a lot of cap there.

Samsanov was re-signed by Treliving, just FYI.

The good thing is he took Samsonov to arbitration and only signed him to a 1 year deal. I think most of us assumed Sammy had earned a longer term stay.

Reactions: egd27 and ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The Leafs now have Benoit ($1.35 mil) and Hakanpaa ($1.5 mil) as a 3rd pairing for $2.85 mil combined.

Remember when former Leafs management believed a $2 mil Justin Holl was untouchable and so vital and valuable to team success at that price point as a bottom pairing Dman, that they protected him in the expansion draft and gifted Seattle a 40 goal scorer in Jared McCann instead?

Boy have times changed ..The GM that thought that nonsense is now long gone, and Holl is barely an NHLer any longer playing only 38 games for Detroit while a healthy scratch for the rest, while for a mere $850K Leafs now have an entire bottom pairing locked up, that are big, and physical and defensive oriented.

What a breath of fresh air and movement in the right direction,

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think if they were willing to give up Lily so easily the either would have been allowed to walk in free agency or traded earlier.

He's probably higher up in the front office depth chart than folks seem to think. They didn't just give him 6 million to dump him off so soon

Reactions: therealkoho

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The good thing is he took Samsonov to arbitration and only signed him to a 1 year deal. I think most of us assumed Sammy had earned a longer term stay.
Agreed.

Dubas would have extended Samsonov on a stupid deal, much like he did for Jarry.

Picture a 5 year $27m contract being handed out Dubas to Samsonov.

Don’t forget we had a strong contribution in net from Dubas’ super great goalie addition Matt Murray. All praise Dubas, Amen.

JFC. I know there is an Ignore button, but this forum needs a Just Shut Up button for certain posters.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You’re right. He shouldn’t have trusted left over Dubas components.
Thank god we had leftover components like McCabe. What Treliving shouldn't have done was spend his 20m on players who don't know what defense means, and fail to address our injury/FA losses on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad