Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Jani Hakanpaa (2 years, $1.5M AAV) [in progress; medical delay?]

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If this guy is on LTIR the whole season and is activated for Game 1 of the playoffs... how is really any more mismanagement than a Mark Stone classic in Vegas?

Say Hakanpaa is our deadline acquisition but didn't cost draft picks like Lyubushkin x2, Schenn or Edmundson, and instead we traded our little draft capital for forward scoring depth...

Seems like a sneaky okay deal.

I believe Plan A for Treliving was going to bring back John Klingberg on and similar contract as Matt Murry with league base minimum $875K and then earned bonuses.

Klingberg, who is an unrestricted free agent, played just 14 games for the Leafs last season before undergoing season ending injury back in December. Since then there's been little talk of his future until Pagnotta's most recent report.

Klingberg's process appears to be similar to that of Patrick Kane, who didn't begin speaking with teams until he was back skating in late October, early November of last year.
The demand for Kane was significantly higher than the demand for Klingberg, but if he is fully healthy and able to get closer to the form he had during his early years in Dallas, he could be a very good mid-season pickup for a team that needs help on the blueline.

1720183244226.png

This signing could be Plan B and depending on his injury history might be able to make room for a Klingberg re-signing, by creative use of LTIR.

Remember the Leafs have Brandon Pridham assisting Treliving and he is a CBA savant when it comes to the manipulating of the CBA strategically. :)

Toronto is currently over the salary cap by $1.5 million, according to CapFriendly. Maple Leafs signed Hakanpaa to a two-year deal worth $1.5 million per season. What a coincidence the same amount of this signing now puts the Leafs over the cap and if he started on LTIR. Leafs would be cap compliant.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs Medical Staff Approved Signing of Player With ‘Degenerative Knee’ Issues​

The Toronto Maple Leafs medical staff gave the green light to sign defenseman Jani Hakanpaa despite the knee issues, according to analyst and former NHL player Nick Kypreos.

On July 1, it was reported that the Maple Leafs signed Hakanpaa to a two-year deal worth $1.5 million per season. However, Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun then reported that Hakanpaa had a knee injury, which Kypreos confirmed was the case.

In Kypreos’ article for the Toronto Star on July 4, the former player says the Maple Leafs medical staff gave the green light for the signing.

“A Dallas source confirmed to me they would have liked to re-sign Hakanpaa but feared he has a ‘degenerative knee’ that would be tough to manage next season. The Leafs certainly do not feel the same way as their medical team had an extensive look prior to the signing and were very comfortable giving Shanahan and Treliving the green light to move forward,” Kypreos wrote.

Maple Leafs GM Excited for What Hakanpaa Brings​

Brad Treliving, the general manager of the Maple Leafs, focused on improving the team’s defense in free agency, and Hakanpaa was one of the ways to improve the roster.

“With Hakanpaa, again a penalty killer. One of the areas looking back at last season that we wanted to address was our penalty kill. That’s an area that Jani really shines in. … You saw that in Dallas over the years, and specifically this past season,” Treliving said.

Hakanpaa was projected to be on the third-pairing while also helping to the penalty kill.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If this guy is on LTIR the whole season and is activated for Game 1 of the playoffs... how is really any more mismanagement than a Mark Stone classic in Vegas?

Say Hakanpaa is our deadline acquisition but didn't cost draft picks like Lyubushkin x2, Schenn or Edmundson, and instead we traded our little draft capital for forward scoring depth...

Seems like a sneaky okay deal.

Hakanpaa is a #6/7, so it isn't like bringing back a top 10 winger and $10 million in cap.

The idea is to use the cap if we are LTIRing til the playoffs, what can we do with $1.5 million? We would probably have more without LTIR.

Makes no sense.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I believe Plan A for Treliving was going to bring back John Klingberg on and similar contract as Matt Murry with league base minimum $875K and then earned bonuses.

Klingberg, who is an unrestricted free agent, played just 14 games for the Leafs last season before undergoing season ending injury back in December. Since then there's been little talk of his future until Pagnotta's most recent report.

Klingberg's process appears to be similar to that of Patrick Kane, who didn't begin speaking with teams until he was back skating in late October, early November of last year.
The demand for Kane was significantly higher than the demand for Klingberg, but if he is fully healthy and able to get closer to the form he had during his early years in Dallas, he could be a very good mid-season pickup for a team that needs help on the blueline.

View attachment 892501

This signing could be Plan B and depending on his injury history might be able to make room for a Klingberg re-signing, by creative use of LTIR.

Remember the Leafs have Brandon Pridham assisting Treliving and he is a CBA savant when it comes to the manipulating of the CBA strategically. :)

Toronto is currently over the salary cap by $1.5 million, according to CapFriendly. Maple Leafs signed Hakanpaa to a two-year deal worth $1.5 million per season. What a coincidence the same amount of this signing now puts the Leafs over the cap and if he started on LTIR. Leafs would be cap compliant.
Because theyve been in cap hell for the past 6 yrs they need Brandon Pridham. 4 guys making 46% of the cap didn’t work, 48 %, nope, let’s triple down and go with 53% and find and sign some injured guys and fit them in.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
24 is the correct roster until they put players on waivers to send them to the Marlies. I wonder if Murray will make it through?

Correct but neither are likely a true representation of the cap space that will be available to spend.

With Hakanpaa and Reaves occupying the "extra" slots we likely don't have space to do much at forward, including signing Robertson. I think Dewar should come in cheap enough to fit.

I would think Murray makes it through. Someone might take a flyer if there's an injury in camp or something, but most likely I think he Joneses it this year.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Hakanpaa is a #6/7, so it isn't like bringing back a top 10 winger and $10 million in cap.

The idea is to use the cap if we are LTIRing til the playoffs, what can we do with $1.5 million? We would probably have more without LTIR.

Makes no sense.

You keep calling him a #7 defenceman....

He's never once been press-boxed playing for better teams than the Leafs and deeper into the playoffs (not that it's hard to do).

A #7 defenceman is more of the Holl, Timmins, Marincin, Mete, Benn caliber that the ex-GM was regularly giving 2nd and 3rd pairing ice-time to.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You keep calling him a #7 defenceman....

He's never once been press-boxed playing for better teams than the Leafs and deeper into the playoffs (not that it's hard to do).

A #7 defenceman is more of the Holl, Timmins, Marincin, Mete, Benn caliber that the ex-GM was regularly giving 2nd and 3rd pairing ice-time to.

Benoit is the #7 then?

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
If game 1 started tonight and everyone is healthy , I would imagine Benoit is in tough to make the starting lineup.

It's July 5th though, and I can't imagine the Leafs are inactive the rest of the summer.

Not sure I would like that. Benoit was awesome for us last year.

That said, too many good defensemen is a nicer problem to have than last year.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If game 1 started tonight and everyone is healthy , I would imagine Benoit is in tough to make the starting lineup.

It's July 5th though, and I can't imagine the Leafs are inactive the rest of the summer.
Yeah that’s a tough one. Both Benoit and Hakanpaa are every day NHL defensemen. If both are healthy I have to imagine it would be Hakanpaa. But Benoit was really solid last year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Hakanpaa Brings Size, Grit & Experience to Maple Leafs’ Blue Line

July 4, 2024

On July 1, 2024, the Toronto Maple Leafs announced the signing of defenceman Jani Hakanpaa to a two-year, $3 million contract. Known for his physicality and shot-blocking abilities, he brings a wealth of experience and grit to the Maple Leafs’ blue line.

In the 2023-24 season with the Dallas Stars, Hakanpaa scored two goals and 12 points. He also registered 196 hits and 123 blocked shots in 64 games. However, his season was cut short by a knee injury that required an arthroscopic procedure. Despite this setback, Hakanpaa’s impact on the ice undeniably showed his defensive prowess and resilience.

Assuming he returns to total health, Hakanpaa is expected to play a significant role on Toronto’s third defensive pairing. His physical presence and defensive reliability will be invaluable, especially in high-pressure situations. Hakanpaa’s journey to the NHL and his uncompromising style of play make him a crucial addition to the Maple Leafs as they aim for postseason success.

He could be the big, right-handed defenceman the team has needed for so long.

Reactions: Bellzy

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I fear Benoit will be a casualty of poor cap management.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Benoit, Lilgegren Timmins, Hakanpaa, Webber and OEL will all be 7 th D at some point this year.
Some Leafs plans seem to be in the works. Option: Where Timmins is OUT and Hakanpaa is LTIR (if unavailable) and Leafs open $6 mil cap for a pair of Forward adds.

One thing is clear is that the Leafs need to add forward depth, and getting cap space to add up front needs to happen in order to have options on the roster.

Let’s wait and see if GM Treliving deploys this bold strategy, and if it pays off.

1720187437538.png

1720187833246.png

1720187485282.png

Lots of summer ahead with potential moves still to come.

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
Still early in the off-season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Liljegren on the move.
Yup. Not sure Lilly is a real thing, despite the signing. That seems more like just being prudent with asset mgmt before finding him a new home. Maybe not. But, Benny will be more than likely stapled to the 3rd pair, given everyone's healthy.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
There been a focus on drafting, signing right shot defensemen this off season. Can’t be coincidence. Treliving has identified it as enough of an issue that he addressed it in the lineup, in depth positions, and with the future through their first pick in the draft. Was it a factor in picking Danford? I say it was one of the factors.

Tanev, resigned Liljegren, Hakanpaa, Meyers, Mattinen, Danford - all Righties

Players already in the system, Timmins Niemelä are also righties.

We should be good especially when OEL has no issues playing the right side.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Makes no sense.

Yes, Hakanpaa is a #6/7 even strength defender, but a #1/2 penalty killer.

Leafs were #23 PK, Dallas #8.

We'll have to wait and see with regards to his health.

NHL still does not list him as a Leafs player, but they are also missing other players under contract, ex. Myers and Mattinen both from DEL.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Benoit is the #7 then?
Yes, he is just something we had lacked, a big sorta physical defender, but, he isnt actually 'good'
he has no puck skills, and struggles to win back pucks and break the cycle.
he'd be the #7

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Lil
OEL - Hak (when healthy)

Benoit -OEL if/when Hak cant play unless someone else surprises in camp

Reactions: Pinkcat

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah that’s a tough one. Both Benoit and Hakanpaa are every day NHL defensemen. If both are healthy I have to imagine it would be Hakanpaa. But Benoit was really solid last year.

That would be a big, physical and mean 3rd pairing for the Leafs particularly for the playoffs. This is likely the thinking and it allows Jani all regular season to get heatlhy, if used sparingly in a rotation with Liljegren.

Simon Benoit (LHD) ---- Jani Hakanpaa (RHD)

Timothy Liljegren (RHD) #7

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
People check this out.. :teach:

Leafs currently have 3 of the top 15 Dmen that lead the NHL in Hits last season in 2023-24.

Both Beniot (#2nd overall) and Hakanpaa (#15th) only played 64 games each missing 18 games and still managed to be among the leaders.

Toss in Jake McCabe (#7) while also missing 9 games and you have the NHL's MOST PHYSICAL Dcore based on Hits..

1720188676989.png

Lets not forget Blocked Shots either where all 3 Leafs defenders above recorded triple > 100 last year. However Leafs new addition Chris Tanev finished #3 outperforming all 3.

1720189222900.png

Now Look at that SIZE !!!

1720189415824.png

How can any Leaf fan not be excited as our new GM Treliving builds and reshapes the Leafs Dcore in his Vision to Big, Mean and Mobile? . :hyper::5:

Reactions: rumman

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Meaningful, well thought out change is what we were doing until last offseason, and it was making us better.
Unnecessary, poorly thought out change is what we started doing last offseason, and continuing into this offseason, and it has made us worse.
Destructive, reactionary change for change's sake is what fans on here have been advocating for.

Exhibit A. :laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I think this would be most likely?

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-Hakanpaa
Benoit-McCabe
Liljegren

Just going by previous playoff history, Liljegren gets forced out.

Hakanpaa basically does a Mikkola impression for OEL.

Did we sign Murray to the old poison pill with the 100K bonus on the day after he gets waived?

Murray is likely a traveling E-bug - He's likely waived at the start of the year and will most likely travel/practice with the bug club as the 3rd goalie while not counting on the cap.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad