Post-Game Talk: Leafs @ Pens | Leafs win 5-2!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Big win for the Leafs..

Defense first hockey is really starting to show team improvement.

3 straight games with 2 or less goals against, that didn't happen at any point last season.

leafspring*

Any prediction on today's line up now that Lupul is out for a while? Frattin is probably the most likely candidate to be called up.

MacArthur-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin
Frattin-Kadri-Komarov
Brown-McClement-Orr

Wouldn't mind seeing Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel either.

I think Connolly gets called up.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Big win for the Leafs..

3 straight games with 2 or less goals against, that didn't happen at any point last season.

Plus our Penalty Kill is not like it was previous years. It has improved so much.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Big win for the Leafs..

Absolutely, defense first hockey not only shows team improvement, it also helps individual players and both Reimer and Scrivens are benificiaries, also both Phanuef and Komisarek, are a lot more comfortable playing that style and now look like the defensemen that can anchor the team.

It appears that the players, have bought into that style and the young players up from the Marlies, have been playing a similar style under Eakins for some time, we have some good goal scores but they are playing a good back checking type game and it makes for a solid team effort.

Things are looking up and we have a good chance, for post season play.

leafspring*

God please no. If Frattin can't come up (since he will have to go through waivers if he plays 3 more games) I would want Ryan Hamilton. Just not Connolly.

He could be in the middle of the biggest wakeup call of his career. Carlyle knows what he expects,and wants from a player/any player on his roster. Carlyle gave him a challenge,and i believe Connolly gets the picture.

Connolly up now should be the call.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Not alot of people have brought this up but Grabovski shutdown Malkin. I think we all know what line the shutdown line is now.

Late in the game Grabovski stick-checked Malkin right at the side of the net as a loose puck went by, went to the boards to retrieve it, and calmly made a pass with three pens bearing down on him.

I don't really think anybody on the Leafs had a bad game last night.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Late in the game Grabovski stick-checked Malkin right at the side of the net as a loose puck went by, went to the boards to retrieve it, and calmly made a pass with three pens bearing down on him.

I don't really think anybody on the Leafs had a bad game last night.

I'm really seeing a team effort when it comes to defense. Everyone seems to be trying hard to do their part. I've seen a real difference in Kessel too. He's really adding pressure on the forcheck. Great change from everyone!

mikebel111*

Carlyle was talking giving Kadri more ice time before the game on the powerplay etc. He shut his minutes down to about mid way the minutes he had in games 1,and 2 in this one lol.

Kadri was not goin great ,and Carlyle recognized it quick,and i like that,and not knocking Kadri.

Kulemin was dominating in every little aspect of the game.(all that needs to be said).

JVR felt good getting that taste of success. Keep that line for another look.

I'm not talkin that D-man,not one word. good:laugh:

Kostka is a smart player,he looks the same here as the Marlies.calm n cool.

Nice to watch a well coached team again.

kadri had a solid game, he was against malkin's line most of the night, and he did very well, no real bad giveaways, I thought he held his own very well

leafspring*

kadri had a solid game, he was against malkin's line most of the night, and he did very well, no real bad giveaways, I thought he held his own very well

Yeah, i know. He's better though,wasn't knockin him.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Good game by the Leafs, loved Kulemin's play and JVR finally broke out.

An underrated Leaf so far this season seems to be McClement. The guy has been absolutely solid on the PK.

Also, I decided to watch the highlights on tsn.ca this morning. They said, the Leafs have gone 3 games in a row where they've let in 2 or fewer goals, something they didn't do all of last season :laugh:

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I can only speak for myself, but I didn't like Ronny from pretty early on. I waited a bit before making up my mind but from what I saw, it was poor coaching, some of it being personnel, most of it just being his style. I can't remember the last time a team won a cup playing a high flying,all-in,dman pinching,roll of the dice style where you try and win 7-6 every night. There was never structure and he was given plenty of time and a long leash. His arrogance didn't help either.

I didn't mind his arrogance to the media. Those fools deserve it after all the garbage they spew day in and day out. Ever since his special teams cost us the the 2nd OA pick, though, he was in my dog house.

Any prediction on today's line up now that Lupul is out for a while? Frattin is probably the most likely candidate to be called up.

As long as you keep him away from any line that's expected to score.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well Frattin it is.

Does this final decision on Connolly?

This will be an interesting deadline, never know with injuries or GM's overpaying if Bozak, Grabo or Kadri continue to all play well, less likely Kadri since he is unproven. Nonis may be fielding offers. I think Nonis has the big picture in mind more than Burke, sell or buy?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This will be an interesting deadline, never know with injuries or GM's overpaying if Bozak, Grabo or Kadri continue to all play well, less likely Kadri since he is unproven. Nonis may be fielding offers. I think Nonis has the big picture in mind more than Burke, sell or buy?

Sell and buy.

Sell defense and wingers at a premium, try to acquire long term pieces.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Mike Brown had an awful night by NHL standards, but only a slightly below average night by Mike brown standards.

It's true haha

Never understood why he can keep a job. He's too small for his hits to actually do anything! He bounces off everyone, he's terrrrrrible with the puck, and he loses a majority of fights.

Ya, he blocks shots, but he's not seeing any PK time with Carlyle as it is. Move him out for the monthly Marlie call up who shows his stuff and goes 110%.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
It's true haha

Never understood why he can keep a job. He's too small for his hits to actually do anything! He bounces off everyone, he's terrrrrrible with the puck, and he loses a majority of fights.

Ya, he blocks shots, but he's not seeing any PK time with Carlyle as it is. Move him out for the monthly Marlie call up who shows his stuff and goes 110%.
it's not possible to go more than 100%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad