OT: Leafs Lounge v.130 - Pepperidge Farm Remembers...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
For me I usually just try to get a laptop that will last me a while because I don't do a whole lot with it other than for school and internet. Don't care for all the fancy stuff that I don't use, give me something that lasts.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
My price range is like under $700. I don't want to get it online. I like seeing the thing for real before buying.

$700 can actually get you a very good laptop considering all you're doing is school stuff, internet and probably watching movies/listening to music and maybe photoshop. The laptop I have cost me $550...5 years ago. I've had no problems with it and use it for the exact same stuff I listed in the previous sentence. The cheapest laptop you can get is probably around $300 for an AMD or $400 for an Intel...both of which are likely a fair bit better then what i have...and that's for the cheapest!

Honestly, if you're just using it for school and you don't whack the laptop every time you lose at solitaire, you can prob buy a $500 (or less) laptop and keep using it until you're done university. If money isn't really a problem then sure you can spend the extra 200 on a better laptop, but you likely won't see much of an improvement considering the basic tasks for which it'll be used for. If I'm a student I'd prob use that money for other stuff.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
For me I usually just try to get a laptop that will last me a while because I don't do a whole lot with it other than for school and internet. Don't care for all the fancy stuff that I don't use, give me something that lasts.

I've found my Dells have lasted the longest. Depends on how often you plan on using it too.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Yeah as long as it doesn't break down easily, I'll really only be using basic programs like word and then the internet.

What a bummer though, I was having so much fun playing around with the touchscreen at the store:laugh:

So far I've seen good looking, cheap acers, asus, sony, and hp.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
I've found my Dells have lasted the longest. Depends on how often you plan on using it too.

I don't understand how laptops can't last long. By that I mean they are machines...as long as you take care of it, they should last a very long time. Clean the fan once in awhile, try not to spill stuff on the keyboard, don't drop it, run virus scans/software, windows updates...you know, basic stuff and there's no reason why it can't last a decade. Sometimes it might die on you, but that's most likely due to either you just happened to get a lemon (rare) or it was your fault.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If you want a laptop that is easily portable like bringing to University or to a Dorm etc. I'd recommend a 14" or 13.3" laptop. I have a 14" samsung laptop and sometimes its a pain bringing it to University, there are some very nice 13.3" laptops that are super-thin & good for everyday use that I'd recommend getting (And don't get a macbook, not worth it).

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
My HP laptop, the power cord wasn't in par with the battery so the battery fried my power cord.. Literally.

I've seen Acers that get buttons stuck (like the power button), and if they are used often, laptops often deteriorate. Specially cheaper ones like Acers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
LM, I'd suggest getting anything with an i3 processor or better. i3 would be more then sufficient for you though. Not sure how much more expensive it would be, but I would look into getting a 6GB ram. Also, stick with Windows 7, Windows 8 is a mess and will be a big learning curve,

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Keep the conversation appropriate, please.

4) Offensive Posts, Links or Images: No NSFW content. NSFW ("Not Safe For Work") is defined as anything that most people would not want their bosses, parents, and/or teachers to see. Do not use profanity, racial, ethnic, religious, or other slurs and stereotypes, or post sexually-oriented material, masturbatory and excretory references, or any other offensive material.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
LM, I'd suggest getting anything with an i3 processor or better. i3 would be more then sufficient for you though. Not sure how much more expensive it would be, but I would look into getting a 6GB ram. Also, stick with Windows 7, Windows 8 is a mess and will be a big learning curve,

My I3 has served me well for almost 3 years now, my whole system still runs very fast. I would have gotten an I5 or even I7 but the next gen processors were so expensive when I bought my laptop. The only problem is I am starting to have a little bit of heating issues. I should really open up the bottom and clean out some dust and dirt.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
Keep the conversation appropriate, please.

4) Offensive Posts, Links or Images: No NSFW content. NSFW ("Not Safe For Work") is defined as anything that most people would not want their bosses, parents, and/or teachers to see. Do not use profanity, racial, ethnic, religious, or other slurs and stereotypes, or post sexually-oriented material, masturbatory and excretory references, or any other offensive material.

SorryCat.jpg

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
i5/i7 processors are worth it IMO and have dropped in price since they were released.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
My HP is about 20 months old and I plan on using it until it breaks.

My first computer (a samsung) needed a new hard drive after like 8 months but it was under warranty luckily but then like 8 months later it had some other issue and basically it was going to die at any moment and would cost hundreds to fix, that's when I got my current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad