Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 2-1 ... Kind of... In a shootout (Yes those are still a thing)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Really like Babcock but what's with Spaling on the 3on3? Even Winnik for that matter. In OT you have to go for the extra point your not defending it!!

It seems like more teams are shifting to a defensive 3v3.

If you have the puck and the other team's defense is in position, you don't have a great chance to score. But if you fail, they can get a 1v0 or 2v0 the other way and have a fantastic chance to score. You're more likely to get the extra point by playing it safe and waiting for the other team to screw up.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Don't be surprise if he plays him again. The problem with players who are not regulars is that they are not game shape. He needs to play few more games to catch up to the pace

Including preseason, Marincin hasn't played a decent game yet for the Leafs.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Didn't hate the overall game from the Leafs. There were a couple of plays throughout that I didn't like, but overall a pretty sound game for the Buds.

On the Sabres goal, Polak was a step late getting to pinch in the zone and even though Kadri was a bit sloppy after he retrieved the puck, that puck doesn't go in 80% of the time.

I still don't see why Babcock has the love affair with keeping Marincin in the lineup. He's been very tentative and very unsure of the plays that he's making. If Gardiner isn't back for Saturday's game against the Habs, I would like to see Corrado instead of Marincin.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Didn't hate the overall game from the Leafs. There were a couple of plays throughout that I didn't like, but overall a pretty sound game for the Buds.

On the Sabres goal, Polak was a step late getting to pinch in the zone and even though Kadri was a bit sloppy after he retrieved the puck, that puck doesn't go in 80% of the time.

I still don't see why Babcock has the love affair with keeping Marincin in the lineup. He's been very tentative and very unsure of the plays that he's making. If Gardiner isn't back for Saturday's game against the Habs, I would like to see Corrado instead of Marincin.

Marincin is a 23 year old defenseman with 89 NHL games. Gardiner is 25 with 251 NHL games.

It is a rebuilding team, and Babcock is investing in the future.

And there is still lots of opportunity for 22 year old Corrado to play this year.

Babcock kept a sleeping Bernier in the net and it was about getting his head on straight, and yesterday he looked better for 60(+5) minutes, not 55 minutes.

And yes, Kadri worked hard to cover for Polak, which forwards are supposed to do, he just made a dumb play by throwing the lose puck out into a danger zone. He's working much harder defensively, he just doesn't seem to understand the consequence of his actions. If he connected on that headshot he's probably gone for 4 games.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm interested in seeing what the league has to say about the Kane hack to Dion's head. Whats next? You can punch someone in the face if they are going to hit you?

I would say that play should go down as a head hit. It was intentional.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs always seem to lose in Buffalo.

In their last 18 games verses the Sabres in their home building the Leafs record is 1-16-1. The think that 1 win was back in 2011.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm interested in seeing what the league has to say about the Kane hack to Dion's head. Whats next? You can punch someone in the face if they are going to hit you?

I would say that play should go down as a head hit. It was intentional.

It should've been a penalty for high sticking and even a 4 minute one for drawing blood, but that wasn't an intentional head hit by Kane, without question but the refs/linesman apparently didn't see the contact.

He brought his arms up to brace himself for the Phaneuf hit and in the process his stick caught Dion in the lip. A player has to be responsible for his stick but that was accidental not intentional. IMO

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
What did he do?

In the shoot out he tried to do a fake where you make the goalie think you're going 5 hole and then bring it back and slip it by his left pad. It didn't work because he went too slow probably because the ice had too much snow and the puck rolled on him. It did look bad, but the ice conditions had a lot to do with it.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Marincin is a 23 year old defenseman with 89 NHL games. Gardiner is 25 with 251 NHL games.

It is a rebuilding team, and Babcock is investing in the future.

And there is still lots of opportunity for 22 year old Corrado to play this year.

Babcock kept a sleeping Bernier in the net and it was about getting his head on straight, and yesterday he looked better for 60(+5) minutes, not 55 minutes.

And yes, Kadri worked hard to cover for Polak, which forwards are supposed to do, he just made a dumb play by throwing the lose puck out into a danger zone. He's working much harder defensively, he just doesn't seem to understand the consequence of his actions. If he connected on that headshot he's probably gone for 4 games.

Do you think that they have confidence in keeping Marincin beyond a year or 2?

While it does give others a chance to grow, you're filling a spot with a guy that shouldn't be given the spot despite the room for growth.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

While it does give others a chance to grow, you're filling a spot with a guy that shouldn't be given the spot despite the room for growth.

Ya... not really sure that he'll be a Leaf for long. With Percy, Dermott, Loov, etc. pushing for spots over the next few years, I doubt that there will be any room for Marincin.

Harrington on the other hand looks like he could be a good third pairing guy going forward.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think waivers may be why he's with the Leafs and not the Marlies.

It's just part of the equation.

If he doesn't show growth this year, he's probably put on waivers for demotion.

We've all read how long it takes for a defenseman, and we know it isn't less than 100 games.

Hey, we also know how bad the coaching has been in Edmonton forever.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ya... not really sure that he'll be a Leaf for long. With Percy, Dermott, Loov, etc. pushing for spots over the next few years, I doubt that there will be any room for Marincin.

Harrington on the other hand looks like he could be a good third pairing guy going forward.

Harrington looks like a young Carl Gunnarsson out there, who could become a reliable, solid depth defender.

I also think Marincin will not last long and in a few years he will likely be in the KHL. IMO

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I thought this was a well played game for the Leafs and missing two of our top players didn't help, Bernier looked like the Goal Tender we traded for and our defence was pretty steady and for the most part, our forwards played well and back checked as a team.

Buffalo has a lot of firepower and will be a team to watch out for in the league, they have some very good young talent and they are well coached.

We got a point and deserved better but thats hockey, anyone that didn't like watching this game, isn't seeing the finer points, that Babcock is infusing into the team and it bodes well for the future, especially when some of our prospects are ready to take a job and bring their talents to the team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marincin looks good when he doesn't have to play the puck. Good positionally and excels on the PK. He's like a left handed Granberg, but without the physical aspect.

So I think he has a place as a #6-7. He'll be cheap and not a bad depth player for now. We'll see how he does as he progresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad