Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 2-1 ... Kind of... In a shootout (Yes those are still a thing)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Team looks way better; losing close, low-scoring games on account of a lack of high-end talent.

Everything is going according to the Shanaplan.

I'm probably crazy but I think if they hadn't traded Kessel, they would have had a fighting chance at the playoffs.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
While I know it was a group decision and Babcock likely had some input on trading Kessel, I still would have like to see what Babcock could have done with him.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Not a bad effort. Feels like I've said that 100 times already this season.

I wonder what the advanced stats say about shootout moves. Surely there's a better way than just allowing the players to do as they want out there. Is a shot more effective? Is a deke more effective? What about speed and angle of approach? The Leafs have a whole team making big money to run numbers for the club. I'm a little surprised nobody's thought of looking at the shootout.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
While I know it was a group decision and Babcock likely had some input on trading Kessel, I still would have like to see what Babcock could have done with him.

Kessel was past the age of fixing. He was locked into an 8M contract...if you told him to do what Babcock demands he would just throw a hissy fit, demand a trade and sink his value.

21 year old Kessel off his ELC could have been taught...but he didn't want to listen to Julien so I doubt he would suddenly have changed for Babcock. He is set in his ways.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Kessel was past the age of fixing. He was locked into an 8M contract...if you told him to do what Babcock demands he would just throw a hissy fit, demand a trade and sink his value.

Ya. Then we might have got next to nothing for him

Oh wait...:sarcasm:

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Really like Babcock but what's with Spaling on the 3on3? Even Winnik for that matter. In OT you have to go for the extra point your not defending it!!

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

21 year old Kessel off his ELC could have been taught...but he didn't want to listen to Julien so I doubt he would suddenly have changed for Babcock. He is set in his ways.

Provide a credible source for one of the things you accused Kessel of. I would love to see all Feschuck and Simmons articles you pull out (PS they aren't credible)

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Kessel demanding a trade would have opened up way more teams to trade him to.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Provide a credible source for one of the things you accused Kessel of. I would love to see all Feschuck and Simmons articles you pull out (PS they aren't credible)

Kessel plays the way Kessel wants to play, I've seen him in Pitty, he looks the exact same as he always has.

he fits a team that is already built like pitty, he doesnt fit us at all and frankly I dont ever want a player like him personally, I want someone that actually shows heart on both ends of the ice in the top 6.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014

If you think all opinions on this forum are backed up from credible sources your naive.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Not a bad effort. Feels like I've said that 100 times already this season.

I wonder what the advanced stats say about shootout moves. Surely there's a better way than just allowing the players to do as they want out there. Is a shot more effective? Is a deke more effective? What about speed and angle of approach? The Leafs have a whole team making big money to run numbers for the club. I'm a little surprised nobody's thought of looking at the shootout.

All of the most efficient players in the shootout are shooters, and they seem to have the same technique from what I see. Parenteau does pretty much exactly what Bozak does and those two are excellent in shootouts.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Nothing wrong with opinions, just don't phrase them as facts

I'd agree with you if he phrased them as facts but he clearly didn't. To ask for credible sources to back up an opinion you don't agree with is lame IMO.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Surprised to see Hunwick all the way up to 27 and a half minutes with Rielly close behind with 25 minutes. Phaneuf with 17.5 minutes but I'm sure that's to do with having only one powerplay.

Another low scoring game, the inconsistent skill level is really showing. Not surprising though looking at the current roster.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Surprised to see Hunwick all the way up to 27 and a half minutes with Rielly close behind with 25 minutes. Phaneuf with 17.5 minutes but I'm sure that's to do with having only one powerplay.

Another low scoring game, the inconsistent skill level is really showing. Not surprising though looking at the current roster.

Earned it last night.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'd agree with you if he phrased them as facts but he clearly didn't. To ask for credible sources to back up an opinion you don't agree with is lame IMO.

Leave them. They are fascinated with the point totals Kessel put up but turn a blind eye to every single time he was on the ice for a goal against.

It is a fact that Kessel did not see eye to eye with Julien. Guess what? Julien was right in the end and how they needed to play because they not only won the Cup once, they were darn close to winning another one.

If Kessel was not willing to change the way he plays on a rising team like the Bruins (at the time he was traded) there is no chance in hell he was going to suddenly change the way he has played for a decade for a rebuilding Leafs team.

Julien didn't want Kessel and vice-versa, Kessel publicly stated he and Ron Wilson never really talked much, Carlyle stated he gave players like Kessel leeway and mentioned Bobby Ryan from his days in Anaheim who he did the same with (note how we never really mentioned Getzlaf/Perry because those guys didn't need to be taught what to do or given leeway).

Kessel is great for PPG but he just has to be left alone. He is what he is...a very very talented scorer who should be a hired gun on a complete team as opposed to a guy you build around.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Hunwick has been the most stabilizing defensive force for the D. Babcock want his young D to learn from him, including Rielly.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
If Corrado doesn't replace that disaster Marincin on Saturday, clearly Babs isn't interested in his services.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
If Corrado doesn't replace that disaster Marincin on Saturday, clearly Babs isn't interested in his services.

Don't be surprise if he plays him again. The problem with players who are not regulars is that they are not game shape. He needs to play few more games to catch up to the pace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad