GDT: Leafs @ Habs -- pre-season game 4 -- 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hildeby had an excellent game, and might be ready to steal a spot as soon as this year, depending on injuries.

Robertson continues to show he has the second best shot on this team. Hopefully he’s used for that to be effective this year.

Holmberg has a very good game and was good in the dot. Maybe it’s time to consider moving on from Kampf.

Myers and Timmins both had nice games as well.

Grebenkin played a nice game, but his offense isn’t there yet at this level. No harm in getting some AHL games in.

Cowan’s best game, and I wish he was AHL eligible. But it’s back to the OHL for him.

Overall the teams D was decent the first half of the game.

The Laine incident was unfortunate, you never want to see a player hurt like that. I have a hard time believing that was intentional, or even dirty. Much like an unintentional head shot, it probably deserved some punishment though.

As far as Wifi’s reaction, I have mixed feelings about sticking up for a teammate who has been injured like that. The problem being, Pare isn’t a heavyweight and we keep on suggesting Reaves can’t go after smaller guys, or guys who aren’t fighters. I mean, would it have been ok for Reaves to target Reinbacher? Or Marchand? If the answer is no, then Wifi shouldn’t have gone after Pare either. If the answer is yes, well Reaves needs to do that job no matter who the other player is. I think Wifi went too far, that much is for certain. I also find it entertaining how some are complaining that Pare isn’t even a NHL player, when Wifi barely is, and wouldn’t be on a better team.

Anyway, entertaining for a pre-season game, onto the next one.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Reaves on Xherkaj: If I was on the ice that wouldn't have happened.

...does nothing his next shift.

Biggest brainwash in leaf land is thinking Reaves would have prevented retaliation or somehow he will protects our star players by yapping from the bench.

We have already witnessed he doesn’t and when he fights is basically a bear hug match with all that armour on and most still have their shields on.

The only thing that hurts is their hands and it’s all about the circus afterwards raising their hands and celebrating tying to make a bear dance look like it’s something great.

Then the rest of his minutes on the ice are sheltered and he is still a defensively liability

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Biggest brainwash in leaf land is thinking Reaves would have prevented retaliation or somehow he will protects our star players from yapping from the bench.

We have already witnessed he doesn’t and when he fights is basically a bear hug match with all that armour on and most still have their shields on.

The only thing that hurts is their hands and it’s all about the circus afterwards raising their hands and celebrating tying to make a bear dance look like it’s something great.

Then the rest of his minutes on the ice are sheltered and he is still a defensively liability

Wifi was on the Habs bench? Did it act as a deterrent for Laine getting injured? Laine wasn’t targeted, and I doubt there was intent, but the point still stands and so agree with you.

Reactions: Sypher04

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Hildeby had an excellent game, and might be ready to steal a spot as soon as this year, depending on injuries.

Robertson continues to show he has the second best shot on this team. Hopefully he’s used for that to be effective this year.

Holmberg has a very good game and was good in the dot. Maybe it’s time to consider moving on from Kampf.

Grebenkin played a nice game, but his offense isn’t there yet at this level. No harm in getting some AHL games in.

Cowan’s best game, and I wish he was AHL eligible. But it’s back to the OHL for him.

The Laine incident was unfortunate, you never want to see a player hurt like that. I have a hard time believing that was intentional, or even dirty. Much like an unintentional head shot, it probably deserved some punishment though.

As far as Wifi’s reaction, I have mixed feelings about sticking up for a teammate who has been injured like that. The problem being, Pare isn’t a heavyweight and we keep on suggesting Reaves can’t go after smaller guys, or guys who aren’t fighters. I mean, would it have been ok for Reaves to target Reinbacher? Or Marchand? If the answer is no, then Wifi shouldn’t have gone after Pare either. If the answer is yes, well Reaves needs to do that job no matter who the other player is. I think Wifi went too far, that much is for certain. I also find it entertaining how some are complaining that Pare isn’t even a NHL player, when Wifi barely is, and wouldn’t be on a better team.

Wifi jept hus gloves on so he wasn’t really fighting him, he fond a way to defend his team mate without looking like a total bully, no one got hurt, but the message was received……

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1727627088655.png

Holmberg past couple games showing face-off prowess.

Hasn't assisted on goals both games?

Reactions: rumman

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022

Nice write up

The only thing I will say that Reaves can’t target anyone let alone Marchand as Reaves can’t catch him….plays little minutes because he is such a liability on the ice. So I guess payback happens in the hallways after the game? :)

If Reaves played D and had a steady shift then he can choose some payback …..but Reaves is such a bad hockey player that the coach can’t afford to have him on a regular shift.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Montreal’s Arber Xhekaj has been fined $3,385.42, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for unsportsmanlike conduct on Toronto’s Cedric Pare.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Exhibitions vets need to have 30 GP in the previous season (Timmins, 25) or 100 GP career (Timmins, 91)

It was pointed out to me though that the CBA doesn't actually state "regular season" games. If you count playoff, Timmins has 103 GP.
So either the NHL is counting playoffs games, or I imagine Shaw was deemed unfit to play too close to game time/afer submitting the roster, and the League waived the 8th man.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You want people banned for "subterranean levels of what is permissible" but unironically call the owner of X a "Bond villain". You give Elon Musk way too much credit.
Uh, yeah..

I don't think I give him credit. Still, he's the one who sets the standard, and if his MO is a "free speech warrior" and all that can entail, then to me, it becomes a very unappealing place that is not much more than a self-fellating attention exercise for Mr. Musk, something akin to a Bond villain.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
One game would have been a nice and tidy way to set a standard while keeping him out of the next Leafs/Habs game. Instead, he'll be running around like a goof and Reaves will have to cave his face in. That's George Parros justice.

Yeah I'd say marketing entertainment played a factor too. Now that Arber is in that first game and it's likely Reaves will be too more eyes will be on the game across the league to see what if anything will happen. Can't forget the guy ostensibly in charge of Player Safety has a line of clothing called "Violent Gentlemen." If this were written in fiction editors would force you to change it because it's too absurd. He probably loved that BS and relishes in that first game getting out of hand. Plus he's a former Hab himself.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kind of curious what the long term impact is for Laine in Montreal if he misses a lot of time... The 2024 version of Patrik Laine isn't exactly a superstar in NHL, but Habs fans seem to have hyped him up as a once and future generational scorer without seeing the good and bad up close and personal. Curious to see if they'll lock him in or what happens with him approaching free agency next summer.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Montreal’s Arber Xhekaj has been fined $3,385.42, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for unsportsmanlike conduct on Toronto’s Cedric Pare.

Add it to the giant mountain of proof the NHL doesn’t actually care about protecting players

Wifi jept hus gloves on so he wasn’t really fighting him, he fond a way to defend his team mate without looking like a total bully, no one got hurt, but the message was received……

Not sure what relevance him keeping his gloves on is supposed to have.
It was malicious.

You know who else kept his gloves on while punching another player in the back of the head (ending his career I might add)…
Todd Bertuzzi

What Xhekaj did wasn’t as bad as the Bertuzzi incident to be sure, but it was incredibly stupid and dangerous and has no place in hockey.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Add it to the giant mountain of proof the NHL doesn’t actually care about protecting players

Not sure what relevance him keeping his gloves on is supposed to have.
It was malicious.

You know who else kept his gloves on while punching abother player in the back of the head (ending their career I might add)…
Todd Bertuzzi

What Xhekaj did wasn’t as bad as the Bertuzzi incident to be sure, but it was incredibly stupid and dangerous and has no place in hockey.

The damage Xhekaj could have done to Cedric Pare with gloves on rabbit punches, trying to drive a guy into the ice could have resulted in more damage and change in quality of life than any long term knee injury. So it was a scary sight and incredibly misguided.

But the NHL department of player safety is really only interested in intervening once something catastrophic has occurred resulting in bad publicity. As anything else in the whole Bettman regime, it's deeply cynical and uncaring.

Reactions: Sypher04

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Am I the only one happy that Xhekaj didn't get suspended? Game 1 is vs Montreal. Hopefully, Reaves will earn his paycheck.

I thought they'd suspend him a single regular season game just to avoid that situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad