Post-Game Talk: Leafs fall 3-1 to the Kings| In other news, our penalty kill still sucks

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Best game the leafs have played all season. Full 60 minute effort. I can't complain about the loss.

Leafs are realizing what a good puck possession centre can do for the first line. Can get the cycle game going resulting in multiple scoring chances each shift, not just one and out. Plus a better physical game, leading to more turnovers. They looked great. Best game of the season from line 1.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Best game the leafs have played all season. Full 60 minute effort. I can't complain about the loss.

I can't complain about the team but I sure can complain about how terrible Paul Ranger and Fraser are.

This team needs to get rid of people that can't skate. Simple as that.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
No trolling, observations from being there.

And as long as meatheads like McClaren are in the lineup over actually useful players who have a brain and any ounce of skill, the Leafs will not win anything of importance.

Okay to this point. You are obviously clueless as to how the Leafs, from the Paul Maurice and Ron Wilson eras, were actually bullied into backing off and meekly losing games by every other team in the division. Remember even Matt Stajan had to do the fighting. Randy Carlyle brought back the fourth line fighters and bingo! everybody in Leafland with a working long-term memory is lauding how we don't get pushed around and our stars have room to operate. Take the McClarens and Orrs off the ice and watch Kessel/Kadri/Phaneuf/JVR get smacked down every game by gutless hit-and-run pests from Boston, NYR, Philly, Pittsburgh, etc.

Oh, and that LA pest Nolan slashing Kessel's hand last night, if it wasn't for McClaren he would have ended up taken one of our scorers out big time.

Just curious - are you, by the way, a member of the Toronto media who's always saying how terrible it is that teams protect their stars with tough guys?

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Excellent game, disappointing outcome.

Rielly was excellent, best I've seen him play.
The whole team played very well, no complaints. Hopefully they've turned the corner and once they get Bozak and Bolland back will be a dangerous team.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
:laugh: Some of us like to watch games in conjection with hard stats.

If you watched the games like I do and not only rely on boxscores, you may have known Bolland was on the 1st PP unit that game not Kadri.

it remains a goal that the Kessel/JVR line/tandem/whatever scored without Bozak.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
who cares if we played well? we lost, and this is chalked up as an L.... end of story

i would rather play crappy and come out with the 2 points then play well and come out with 0

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
who cares if we played well? we lost, and this is chalked up as an L.... end of story

i would rather play crappy and come out with the 2 points then play well and come out with 0

Although some positives can be taken from the game, At the end of the season, no one is going to care how badly we got out played, or how badly we outplayed someone.

Its all about the points.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Although some positives can be taken from the game, At the end of the season, no one is going to care how badly we got out played, or how badly we outplayed someone.

Over the course of a season, if your being outplayed constantly, then chances are your going to be losing the majority of your games. Can't rely on luck for that long. You have to go out and create for yourself.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

In the long run they'll get more points playing the way they did last night where they lost then they will in the games they won but played poorly.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

To each his own I guess - my feelings are the exact opposite.

This team (not the goalies) has played like garbage (with the exception of a small handful of games) all year. It was getting so bad, that I was already starting to worry it would soon get to the point where I didn't even feel like watching any more. Had they played like garbage again and won somehow, it would have done nothing for me. The fact that they played probably their best game of the season however, gives me some hope that they will start playing up to their potential.

I like watching us play good hockey. Last night, for the first time in a long while I was not disappointed.

If they continue to play well, the wins will come.

Cheers!

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I don't know why people are blaming Bernier for that one. The first goal was a complete snip that almost no goalie will stop, the second was a on a 2-on-1 with Jeff freaking Carter and the last goal was on a broken play. The team obviously played a good game, and even on the 2-on-1 it's hard to blame anyone in particular for a lack of coverage. Ranger made a good decision to pinch that unfortunately cost him on a smart play from Voynov.

Let's hope the Leafs bring that same effort tonight against St. Louis, we'll need it.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
In the long run they'll get more points playing the way they did last night where they lost then they will in the games they won but played poorly.

But will they play like that every night. I would be ecstatic if they do, although execution needs to be better.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

Gotta disagree, would rather see them play well and with some intensity

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Excellent game, disappointing outcome.

Rielly was excellent, best I've seen him play.
The whole team played very well, no complaints. Hopefully they've turned the corner and once they get Bozak and Bolland back will be a dangerous team.
Yea that's what I saw from yesterday's game. I hope this is a start of something atleast.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
One thing that kinda shocked me is that the first line cycled the puck a lot last game... They usually only try to establish a cycle once or twice a game, last game they did it numerous times and got good chances out of it.

MajorityRules*

One thing that kinda shocked me is that the first line cycled the puck a lot last game... They usually only try to establish a cycle once or twice a game, last game they did it numerous times and got good chances out of it.

I've noticed a few games with Kadri centering the 1st line where they'd cycle very well, creating multiple scoring opportunities in a shift.

I've said it before, I wish we had two Kadri's. One for the 1st line and one to play with Lupul on the 2nd.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Call me crazy but I'll take the 0 points and outplaying our opponent for this ONE time.

Why...because I hope the team realized that even when they play well the wins aren't guaranteed so if they play terrible they know they aren't even close to being as good as they want to be even if we get 2 points.

I loved the way we played last night and I hope we can continue to play like that. If we can do that, we'll be in the win column a lot more and it will be very satisfying.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Lol the people that say they'd rather see the Leafs lose while out shooting a team, instead of win and get out shot are just silly. Playoff time will be 100% different with this team. That's what they're waiting for. And that's where being young comes into play.

But to say you'd take a L instead of getting out shot just sounds silly to me.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Lol the people that say they'd rather see the Leafs lose while out shooting a team, instead of win and get out shot are just silly. Playoff time will be 100% different with this team. That's what they're waiting for. And that's where being young comes into play.

This team is not going to make the playoffs unless they start playing more like they did against LA.

Being young has nothing to do with anything. They were just playing dumb before. 90% of the team.

It has nothing to do with outshot and outshooting.

It has to do with playing smarter.

It's like being really really smart in high school that you get straight A's while you're coasting so you think it would be the same in college and suddenly you realize you actually have to work hard! :laugh:

Let's face it, the Leafs have gotten lucky to start the season and because all the bounces were going our way, they just kept playing like this.

Now that they aren't getting points for the way they play, they are starting to try and minimize dumb penalties, make smarter plays, and try to possess the puck more.

Oct 19, 2007
I am afraid that if management don't do something soon, this team is going to be on the outside looking in. As it's been shown for a number of seasons, when the team has to catch other teams, it don't come easy. Holland is a good player but not the replacement that was needed. Also without a good shutdown defenseman the team does not do well against the stronger teams. 45 to 50 shots against in games will come back to haunt them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I don't think that is the point at all.

I believe fans would rather see the team play like they did yesterday, as opposed to the way they have for most of the season.

The only reason they lost was because of Jones LA's goalie. However the belief is that if the Leafs play like they did in this game they will win more games from here on in then playing poorly and hoping their goalie continues to steal them games.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I don't think that is the point at all.

I believe fans would rather see the team play like they did yesterday, as opposed to the way they have for most of the season.

The only reason they lost was because of Jones LA's goalie. However the belief is that if the Leafs play like they did in this game they will win more games from here on in then playing poorly and hoping their goalie continues to steal them games.

Gotta spend money to make money in a sense eh?

Of course I'm not happy about that loss. But I'm with your view. There's a lot they can take out of this game and apply it to the future. This is the video the staff should be showing the players of how we want to play. There's a lot more that we can learn from this game then we could by getting out shot by 30 and barely squeaking by. Bring this fire to every game and we're going to win more often than not. That's the point us "happy" fans are trying to get across.

Sometimes you lose in order to win.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Gotta spend money to make money in a sense eh?

Of course I'm not happy about that loss. But I'm with your view. There's a lot they can take out of this game and apply it to the future. This is the video the staff should be showing the players of how we want to play. There's a lot more that we can learn from this game then we could by getting out shot by 30 and barely squeaking by. Bring this fire to every game and we're going to win more often than not. That's the point us "happy" fans are trying to get across.

Sometimes you lose in order to win.
-sopranos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad