Leafs broadcasters no longer allowed to fly on the team charters

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't want to start a war not being a Leafs fan. But it was a dumb and cheap move by the richest team in the league.
They have done the right thing thanks to pressure from the fans.
Which is something they are listening. But it's too bad it had to come down to outside pressure to make the right call.

again - that's not on MLSE.

that's with Bell. (on their own) and Rogers (on their own) or the people who do the contracts (the Radio Services).

all what MLSE did was say "you can't go on the plane."

Radio Services went "well y'all can stay in a room we don't want to pay for your travel."

why the Leafs are getting all "well this isn't right, this isn't fair." is beyond me.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I didn't care before, didn't care when it was announced and still don't care that they will or won't be at the games.

I care about saying this though. I feel like it's important.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I didn't care before, didn't care when it was announced and still don't care that they will or won't be at the games.

:laugh:

just aslong as you care.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

This.

In an age of hockeystreams, kodi, and reddit...the 1 thought I had about this hasn't changed since the story broke:

People actually listen to pro sports on the radio in 2015?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I was wrong in saying MLSE should pay. Like tsunari will tell you the Kings broadcasters are employed by the Kings. I was mistaken in thinking the same thing applied here.

When I saw Rogers/Bell I don't mean as team owners, I meant as radio station owners. I don't want them on the plane, but their employers (Bell/Rogers radio stations) should pay for them to attend games.

Appearantly the PDs didn't feel they had the cachet to augment their budgets.
Basically a business oversight, or someone else said, find a way to be "efficient"

I'm happy they listened, and won't be on the plane.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Started with Lamorello's bizarre decision, and this was a trickle down effect where Rogers / Bell, already facing cutbacks, had to adjust budgets to get their people to Leafs games now that they weren't allowed to travel with the team.

Thankfully, common sense prevails, but it's shocking that it took twitter outcry to get this thing done.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This.

In an age of hockeystreams, kodi, and reddit...the 1 thought I had about this hasn't changed since the story broke:

People actually listen to pro sports on the radio in 2015?
Last December while I was on vacation I listened to some Leafs games in my car if I was driving while they were playing, although having Sirus XM helped since I get all the NHL games.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Was happy with all of Shanny's moves until Lamo. Just think it's going to be like Brian Burke pt. 2 in terms of how he gets along with MLSE heads.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Was happy with all of Shanny's moves until Lamo. Just think it's going to be like Brian Burke pt. 2 in terms of how he gets along with MLSE heads.
Definitely a possibility, it is beginning to seem. Lou may still have delusions about the extent of his role--that could cause problems. I wish Shanny or someone would sit him down and say, "okay, this is what we need from you; this is what we don't need."

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Definitely a possibility, it is beginning to seem. Lou may still have delusions about the extent of his role--that could cause problems. I wish Shanny or someone would sit him down and say, "okay, this is what we need from you; this is what we don't need."

They would have done that when he was hired.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here is what Toronto Maple Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello had to say about no longer allowing broadcasters to fly on the team charters:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...gm-lou-lamoriello-talks-transition-new-jersey

LeBrun: This is a much bigger hockey media market than what you were used to. Were you bemused by the attention that it garnered when word got out that you decided to have new rules for the team charter, such as no more team broadcasters allowed on board [since rescinded]?

Lamoriello: I do say, "Wow." I mean, [not allowing broadcasters on team charter] is not something that is new. It's not something that I didn't experience in New Jersey. But I understand [media reaction], it doesn't mean I get excited either way. I don't like when you hear something that maybe sometimes was interpreted a certain way. It's done for reasons. And the reason is simplistic: [The team charter] is an extension of the locker room and more so in this day and age, because of what we're trying to do, we have more people traveling, we have a sports medicine department, other things, you really want that to be private. I don't know if you have to apologize for that. ... It's all about the front of the jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad