GDT: Leafs at Habs (Now, Saturday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Doesn’t matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning, and so is losing
Not arguing that we lost but I read some post before watching the game and by what I read it was a disaster everyone sucked than I watch the game Monty let in a soft one, there was a turn over that lead to a 2 on 0 and Trudeau took it easy for a few second at the worst time lead to a breakaway Toronto might have had 3 shifts were the controller play, the might have had 2 scoring chances… Mtl definitely was the better team but Jones made some save and missed chances. Also it was a lot better than the previous game.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Or against teams that have a weaker defensive game, Suzuki and Caufield when given more room on the ice can produce but not so much against tight-checking teams that use size to their advantage. Our guys had a tough time last night against a minor league squad and yes, I get that it's preseason but in all fairness, our better players should have had an easier time against a minor league squad.
It wasn't that much of a tight-checking game. Knies was the only Leafs forward creating anything while Jones, Brodie and Reilly hold the fort in the dzone with Jones doing most of the work.

The things I learned after watching that game:
- the Leafs don't have depth, their dmen are still meh
- Habs PP and PK suck and dzone play is still a cacophony
- Pezzetta isn't an NHLer

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
the media sucks so much lol, after a game like that they are praising reinbacker, and asking about ghules A on his sweater to St Louis, ask him some tough questions please!
Guhle has played well. Reinbacher was fine for his level of development. What tough questions are you talking about? It’s a damn rebuild they’ve been clear about it from the start. Young blueline - Guhle, Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Barron. Forwards: NiCole, Dach, Slaf (19), Newhook, Roy maybe, Beck maybe, Heineman maybe. It’s going pretty well.

Last edited:

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Guhle has played well. Reinbacher was fine for his level of development. What tough questions are you taking about?
1696168442923.png

Reactions: Runner77

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
I would argue that nobody had more spectacular plays than Slafkovsky so far in pre season.

His passes to Anderson, his breakways where he burned the D, his breakaway tonight, shootout goal in scrimmage.
He's had a few flashes, but also looked atrocious throughout, being outplayed by almost everyone on the roster, including multiple prospects like Roy and Beck due to their better pace, positioning, and intelligence, and beaten out only a handful of veterans who shouldn't be in the NHL at this juncture either.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
He's had a few flashes, but also looked atrocious throughout, being outplayed by almost everyone on the roster, including multiple prospects like Roy and Beck due to their better pace, positioning, and intelligence, and beaten out only a handful of veterans who shouldn't be in the NHL at this juncture either.
He was the right pick, he’s 19, can skate, is strong, needs footwork and spacing at the NHL level to catch up to his tools. Power forward so he’s gonna take time, especially in this speeded and skilled up era. Also it’s his third game in 9 months…

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habbietat

Jul 1, 2022
It's not even about tough questions, they just need to ask real hockey questions. "You have been trying the drop pass forever and PP is putrid. Why is this the strategy you choose over and over, what so you see in it?"

The thing is, the Habs "journalists" for the most part are tabloid writers and really don't know shit about hockey. They remember than one time Philippe Cantin asked MB why they played defensively and how he was made to look like the f***ing idiot he is. None of them are gonna go in that direction again.
that or they try to sound super smart and impress Martin St Louis with a question and end up asking a question a paragraph long then end up getting a one word answer :help:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
that or they try to sound super smart and impress Martin St Louis with a question and end up asking a question a paragraph long then end up getting a one word answer :help:
Marty has been asked tons of challenging questions and answered them gracefully even when a philosophical waxing was demanded. I would have overturned the table a few times myself lol. He’s in the middle of a rebuild and he has to stop and deal with a gang of people poking and prodding him when everything has been asked and answered?

Habbietat

Jul 1, 2022
Marty has been asked tons of challenging questions and answered them gracefully even when a philosophical waxing was demanded. I would have overturned the table a few times myself lol. He’s in the middle of a rebuild and he has to stop and deal with a gang of people poking and prodding him when everything has been asked and answered?
dude yesteday after the game there was 2 questions, 1 about the A ghule was wearing, 1 about how impressive reinbacker was (he was meh), if you're fine with our prospects looking like shite and Marty not having to answer for it then thats up to you :yo:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
dude yesteday after the game there was 2 questions, 1 about the A ghule was wearing, 1 about how impressive reinbacker was (he was meh), if you're fine with our prospects looking like shite and Marty not having to answer for it then thats up to you :yo:
They had extensive coverage throughout the two days and camp. Not much to say and he still has to study film, protect the various levels of development of his players. I’d rather he be in the film room and working on development than answer the same questions. And I’m sure he’s upset and disappointed about some things but he can’t express that in public he has to walk a line.

He’s already facing questions about the power play. It’s obvious they’re going to have to use Guhle as we don’t have a qb and he’s probably the best we have. But they probably don’t want too much on his plate either he’s already carrying a huge load defensively

Last edited:

Aces on the road

Oct 27, 2020
Or against teams that have a weaker defensive game, Suzuki and Caufield when given more room on the ice can produce but not so much against tight-checking teams that use size to their advantage. Our guys had a tough time last night against a minor league squad and yes, I get that it's preseason but in all fairness, our better players should have had an easier time against a minor league squad.
Not popular opinion but Armia woud fit best with them

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Slafkovsky offers youth, size, speed, developing skill and enthusiasm/energy. He's noticeable and, above all, entertaining. We have a largely boring team that is painful to watch at most times, unless, of course, you like to watch Gallagher crawling back to the bench after a 30 second shift looking for his defibrillator. Slafkovsky is still growing into his body and once all the pieces come together, and I'm confident they will, he (along with Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, etc.) will become a core player for this team going forward. But if people are looking for a McDavid/MacKinnon/Matthews level of player, it was, regrettably, the wrong draft class.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
fire burrow he doesn't know how to run a powerplay
However, he does know how build solid relationships with NHL pals within management and coaching ranks, which explains how he’s still here. Who you know works in a lot of settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Armia needs to play on a cycle line. His strength is his hands and getting off the boards. If he's healthy that is.

Armia can't execute at the speed Caufield and Suzuki do and his passing took a nose dive the last two seasons. He's the archetype of what they need as a winger thought, but he's too slow now.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Armia can't execute at the speed Caufield and Suzuki do and his passing took a nose dive the last two seasons. He's the archetype of what they need as a winger thought, but he's too slow now.
Of course, that's a rush line, he has no prayer of keeping up. They are one and done because Caufield doesn't need many chances. That's why Newhook could work there actually. That makes Suzuki a digger tho maybe... Newhook has more awareness than Anderson and could make plays maybe, though he also seems to force things when he runs out of room and doesn't win puck battles. Maybe Caufield/Suzuki could help him with his rushes though, that's their specialty. He seems to settle for what they give him and doesn't make the defense move, then read the feet, etc. Or just put Monahan there and inflate his numbers, then trade him for a high pick?

Armia could work on a line with either Dach or Monahan though. Could keep Monahan away from the boards and healthy, and lets us drop Slaf to a lower line until he gets his bearings. Especially if Gallagher's game isn't back (though I bet it will be).

Problem is we don't have a playmakers to go around if both Manahan and Dach play center. Someone has to get Money the puck. And you don't want Money buried on a third line either. Might not be an issue when Dvorak comes back tho.

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Dach was targeted all of last season too and before as well. I think he was on the top 5 most hit player since he entered the league.

Dach needs some physical help on his line, not to “save” him but to share the workload. Slaf ain’t ready and RHP too smoll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad