The leafs should _____ offseason thread

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, no one is taking these kinds of posts seriously. Have a good weekend bro.
Here on hfboards? Surely as it is filled with fans. Leafs upper management is perfectly satisfied I guess as all this crap the fans are talking about was evident 3 years ago and no actions were taken.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Tom Brady has 17 records and Bill Belichick celebrated only a handful of them....usually when they involved Tom winning a superbowl MVP.

Matthews and Nylander get injured trying to chase individual accomplishments in meaningless games, then Holl injures himself trying to maintain his shutout with 0.5 of a second left in a 2-0 game. :shakehead I guess thats what happens when Dave Keon and Borje Salming have a bunch of records on a 108 year old franchise.

I would say the Shannaplan has been a remarkable success..

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember in 2021 before Rod signed his most recent contract, there was a lot of talk that if Carolina didn't re-up with him that Francis was going to hire him to be the first head coach of the Kraken. Or at least that he'd be interested in making a push to hire him. Something tells me Rod didn't really wanna coach an expansion team in the unlikely event he didn't stay in Carolina. Better teams would have been trying to hire him than the expansion team.

I also remember noise that if Vancouver didn't hurry up and extend Travis Green PRONTO that Francis and their new rival Seattle could try and hire him. So Benning panicked and re-signed him to a deal that he only lasted about 2 hockey months into.

That would have been the best thing Vancouver could have done to sabotage a rival, but I'd have to figure that they would have missed the playoffs in 2023 rather than made them and maybe Travis Green would have already been fired there a year ago. Guy is one of the worst head coaches the league has had in the last decade, save for a few interims.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
McDavid played against Talbot. Get real. McDavid is a cherry picker. The Oilers are a trash team that have had a free pass the last 3 seasons in a row against the worst playoff team in the NHL. The Oilers would not even make the playoffs in the Atlantic. Skinner is garbage and the D is comical.
Weird I don’t remember the Oilers playing against the Leafs, Caps or Islanders this year.

But yes known playoff juggernaut known as the Leafs would totally excel in the western conference. Sure fire Stanley cup every year

Your posts are so insecure it’s getting pathetic

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think it would be pretty dumb for him to go from an organization like Carolina to the clown show in Toronto.

I get that it would take him a series or two to realize there’s more than 4 or 5 games you’re allowed to play in a series but I’m sure he’d figure it out.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Rod may need to be institutionalized trying to coach the Leafs.

"He just keeps rocking back and forth and saying "Bieber/Lessons/Money/Tight Group""

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The offense disappeared and Samsonov gonna Samsonov but I would put most of the blame on the construction of that blueline. To exit this trade deadline with that defensive corp was just asking for trouble. Rielly wasn’t great against Boston but he doesn’t have much help. We know what he is. He’s not a prime time #1 runs the offensive show defenseman.

So you know that coming into this year. You know Liljegren has some value but isn’t rugged or consistent. McCabe is a solid physical #4 who has to play bigger minutes. You can see right before your eyes Brodie falling off a cliff into being barely playable. Benoit was a nice cheap find for a depth guy. Klingsberg sucked and then was just out.

So you come to the deadline and the solution is Edmundson and Bush? Two more bottom pairing physical guys with zero offense or transition ability? I get the JT contract is screwing the cap. But get creative. Be bold. Attach whatever picks and prospects you need to to shore up a blueline in dire need of talent.

Your blueline for this “run” was Rielly, McCabe, Liljegren, Benoit, Edmundson and Lyabushkin with the rotting corpses of Brodie and Gio on the bench.

How on this planet does anybody think that is capable of sustaining a legit run?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
"Blow it up" is such a weird exaggeration. They will trade Marner and still hold Matthews and Nylander.

There are 10 teams in this league that have spent half a decade trying to find just one player 80% as good as Matthews or Nylander.
That's the most fundamentally embarrassing part of it though.

Drafting Nylander, Marner and Matthews in three consecutive drafts is about as good as any rebuilding team could ever hope for. It requires a lot of fortuitous circumstance to be drafting in the right positions at the right years and then to make the correct selections at those positions to get players of that caliber all on the same timeline/trajectory as each other.

The fact that the Leafs have fumbled the bag and managed to squander such a glorious situation they started with is mind-boggling.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Shannys six year extension runs out after next season. Worst case, it ends in a year.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They were certainly projecting their raises to core players with a cap increase in mind. Covid probably hit the Leafs harder than just about any team. A bad time to be giving out huge contracts.

That’s just a weak excuse.
They overpaid their core players simple, just after Shanahan had made the speech for winning over money

At the same time Carolina got Aho under 9M and Colorado signed Rantanen prior to Marner at 9.25M. Then Toronto goes out and gives Marner 11M. Gave Matthews basically a bigger contract than Edmonton had given McDavid a year before.

That’s not Covid, that’s on Gm

Not to mention trades like the Colorado one with Kadri& thinking Barrie is the missing link from winning

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yzerman & Shanahan: two most overrated minds in hockey. Give me an advanced stat nerd over these two any day
Wow lol all time terrible take! Yzerman built that Tampa team, hasnt lucked into an elite pick with Detroit. Lets see Analytics first GM's.... Chayka and Dubas the two worst GM's in the NHL in the last decade outside of Dorion. Great call!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They ruined it by coming back. If they lost in five, then big changes would happen.
False hope? Imo the Leafs were one stop from advancing. Likely there will be no changes to the core.

That's the most fundamentally embarrassing part of it though.

Drafting Nylander, Marner and Matthews in three consecutive drafts is about as good as any rebuilding team could ever hope for. It requires a lot of fortuitous circumstance to be drafting in the right positions at the right years and then to make the correct selections at those positions to get players of that caliber all on the same timeline/trajectory as each other.

The fact that the Leafs have fumbled the bag and managed to squander such a glorious situation they started with is mind-boggling.
Changing to Dubas from Lou Lam was a huge mistake.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Rod's focus hasn't been his own pay.
He has taken far below market value in an effort to ensure that the rest of his staff is more fairly compensated.

Toronto should replace everyone in their front office, coaching, managerial, scouting, and training staff and offer the moon to the staff in Carolina.

I believe that the quicker the Hurricanes are eliminated from playoff contention, the quicker that deal becomes reality.

One of Rod's best friends in the hockey world has a large platform here in Toronto and he has been pushing hard for this scenario to come to fruition for about 3 years now.

And it's all but certain that the entirety of the Leafs coaching staff will be relieved this off-season, what with a new president of the organization and all that.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What plan? After his letter to the fans saying they'll do things the "right way," and not rush, he let Lou sign old UFAs and then fired him, to hire his boy wonder, and then did a 180 and fired his boy wonder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad