Value of: Leafs 1st round pick to Calgary

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs First, Nikita Zaitsev, Josh Leivo, 2nd 2019
for
Dougie Hamilton

Rielly - - Hamilton
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Borgman

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Title of thread is "Leafs 1st to Calgary".....what types of responses were you expecting?
Replies that would show posters realize the Leafs first isn't an asset the Flames really would try and obtain. What type of responses were you anticipating?

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I would agree with you that it wouldn't matter getting a 1st rounder, but we'll honestly be fine with anything in the top 62. We don't even have a pick in the top 100... Think about that for a minute. It would be ideal for us to get back in the draft, which I have no doubt that Treliving will, but we will not do it by receiving the smaller end of the trade.
I get wanting to be involved in the draft but Calgary is in a position where picks that late don't really help them unless they are planning for 2 or 3 years down the road, and then only if some right things happen.

From the Flame's perspective and from their fans, do they want to push things back, delay hoped for playoff success? Or make moves, use assets ( players ) to give them more of a chance to do that sooner than later?

Much like Edmonton won't ( or they will try not to ) make moves that will be for the future, they want deals made to impact next season. Late firsts don't do that for either team.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Leafs First, Nikita Zaitsev, Josh Leivo, 2nd 2019
for
Dougie Hamilton

Rielly - - Hamilton
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Borgman
Makes the Flames way worse in exchange for a late first round pick. Would you accept a late first and a bunch of lesser players for Marner or Nylander? You don't get a 24 year old top pairing d unless something big is coming back.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Makes the Flames way worse in exchange for a late first round pick. Would you accept a late first and a bunch of lesser players for Marner or Nylander? You don't get a 24 year old top pairing d unless something big is coming back.

It’s a horrible proposal. But just so you know that poster has never made a good trade proposal. Us leafs fans kinda tune him out. Lol.

Reactions: blankall

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Replies that would show posters realize the Leafs first isn't an asset the Flames really would try and obtain. What type of responses were you anticipating?
What was i anticipating? Oh; just your typical "Leafs suck" style posts....wasn't dissapointed.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leaf really want two positions. A centre to replace Bozak, and for sure Bennett doesn't fill that role or a RHD.
Leafs are one team that aren't going to overpay for two years of Hamonic, they would pay more for Hamilton. Leafs have about 11 m in UFA cap space this season. Might just spend it on short term help rather than giving up that pick.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leaf really want two positions. A centre to replace Bozak, and for sure Bennett doesn't fill that role or a RHD.
Leafs are one team that aren't going to overpay for two years of Hamonic, they would pay more for Hamilton. Leafs have about 11 m in UFA cap space this season. Might just spend it on short term help rather than giving up that pick.

The Leafs have 25 million in cap space, and that's before the cap goes up which brings it to 30, now you do need to sign Nylander but this 11 million narrative is wrong

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The Leafs have 25 million in cap space, and that's before the cap goes up which brings it to 30, now you do need to sign Nylander but this 11 million narrative is wrong

It isn't really 30m., if the Leafs want to go into next season with no performance bonus carryover when there are large RFA signings. And to not carryover bonuses, Horton salary has to shown on the opening day roster.
So the reality is the Leafs have 49m spend on 15 players. Add the bonus of two years of about 7m, that 56m
Cap of 80, so that s 24m for 8 players. Assume it's Nylander, Johnson, Aaltonen, Carrick need new contacts. Then it's about 13m for four more players.
Sure it's about 25m....but eight players still have to be signed., It's not like the Leafs have 15m to spend one or two UFAs.
Now if anyone wants to avoid paying the Performance Bonuses of 2018/19 in the current year, then their is about 8m more to spend. But that makes the signing of all the Leafs young players coming off their ELCs in the summer 2019 impossible.

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
I dont think the Leafs will trade any picks at all. I also don't think they can afford to sign any UFA players to anything but a 1 year deal, but then again I am not a capologist.
I am sure that the Leafs brass would love Hamilton but they really don't have the assets that they can give up in order to get him. I agree that it would take a Nylander or Marner to get him, and that isnt happening.
I would bet that they stay the course, sign or trade for a 1 year center to replace Bozak or move Willy to the C slot. One thing I could see is signing Thornton to a one year 8 mill ish deal.
Orziganov is supposed to slot in as a UFA signing as well.
Rantanen and Lilly will not be ready for at least another year so it will be status quo with some minor tweaks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad