LD Zeev Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2024, 12th, MIN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It’s my belief that the combine is the first and last measurement you can ever trust in any players whole career.
yup, and sooner or later there will be a scandal saying that those who do the measuring at the combine could be bought for 100K/inch.:sarcasm:

Ok, when player is still non-NHL affiliated prospect, it’s no problem for him and his agent to lie.
But if he’s NHLer? Don’t team take measurements at the start of training camp?
NHL teams don't care. If i'm Minnesota, and Kaprizov says I want to be 6' on our website, then he is 6'.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think Buium is the best dman in the draft.

He has elite hockey sense and I love his skating. Hes a terrific playmaker with the puck and he’s very solid defensively.

Yes you wish he was bigger but he’s not soft and he competes.

I absolutely love his hockey IQ and I think he’s better offensively than some are saying.

He’s my #1 dman in this class

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
6'0 is not that small for what he brings to the table. 6'1 is really becoming the average amongst newer defensemen who can play the modern style game.

It's hilarious the nitpicking this kid is getting because there really isn't much more you can ask from him at this point in his young career. Easy first round pick. Where he goes from there nobody knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

scout20

Jul 21, 2022
Duncan keith was a #54 pick, people. He was not considered to be a top tier player in his draft year, nor an elite player for years after his draft. Comparing Buium to him at the same times in their relative careers is not sacrilege.

There is even a thread on this site comparing him and Ballard, and wondering who would end being the best Dman, 5 years after his draft(2002). Here is one quote from 2007, and he was by no means alone;

"Ballard, and IMO, it's not even close. Maybe it's because I've seen a lot of Ballard, but from what I have seen of Keith, he's been rather unimpressive."

Keith had 15 pts in 41 GP in the NCAA in his draft year.

Buium had 50 pts in 42 gp in his draft year. It's not crazy to speculate on whether Buium had the potential to be the next Keith, though a lot of his success depended on him being surrounded by players like Kane, Toews, Hossa, Byfuglien, Seabrooke, Hjalmarsson, Crawford, etc.

Reactions: BHFAN92

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
6'0 is not that small for what he brings to the table. 6'1 is really becoming the average amongst newer defensemen who can play the modern style game.

It's hilarious the nitpicking this kid is getting because there really isn't much more you can ask from him at this point in his young career. Easy first round pick. Where he goes from there nobody knows.
Don't think that's necessarily the case with Zeev , but some 6ft guys are much tougher and harder to move than 6'3+ guys. Size isn't really an issue with him, it's not his game and he's big and fast enough to adapt to the next level.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the top 5

I would.

Levshunov at 2.

Ducks wouldn't be taking that style of defenseman.

CBJ seems locked in on a forward.

Habs apparently like him but if Lindstrom or Demidov are there, which seems to be the case with Lev at 2 and Anaheim likely to go Dickinson/Silayev, and MTL are stacked on LD meaning Parekh is more likely there if they did go in that direction.

I think you'd be looking at 6-10 for him.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't really get why he isn't going top 5. I see him becoming an Adam Fox/Josh Morissey caliber of a player. I really love this kid
Well, he's not being picked in a vacuum. There are other bigger, faster 2024 prospects that play more premium positions such as RHD and Center. Doesn't mean he isn't really good, but he is a moderately sized LHD with good, but not great skating, and a skillset that may, or may not, transfer to the pros.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Well, he's not being picked in a vacuum. There are other bigger, faster 2024 prospects that play more premium positions such as RHD and Center. Doesn't mean he isn't really good, but he is a moderately sized LHD with good, but not great skating, and a skillset that may, or may not, transfer to the pros.
Yeah, but he is literally better than all those guys with size and competed at a very high level this season. He competed against the oldest competition he could. He's not playing in juniors. Charlie Stramel is bigger and faster than Gabe Perrault, but we all know who everyone would rather have. Buium also isn't that small. It's not like he is Galvas or Kiviharju, he is 6'0" and thic.

Lets take a look at his resume;

-He won the U18's gold, WJC-U20 gold, and NCAA Frozen Four National title all within a calendar year
-Led the US WJC-U20 gold team in +/-
-Led the US WJC-U20 gold team in goal scoring for defensemen
-He scored the game clinching goal for the US at the WJC-U20 championship
-He led the entire NCAA in +/- with a +33
-He had the best points per game for a draft eligible in the salary cap era (at-least)
-He shutdown the #1 oa pick in this years draft in the Frozen Four
-He shutdown possibly the best line in NCAA history in the championship game
-He created something out of nothing to set-up an incredible 2nd goal for Denver to win the Championship 2-0
-Scored 50 points in the NCAA (50 freaking points)
-He did all the above while only being an 18 year old

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Don't really get why he isn't going top 5. I see him becoming an Adam Fox/Josh Morissey caliber of a player. I really love this kid
After Celebrini you've got Levshunov, Dickinson, Silayev, and Lindstrom who are all much bigger and skate as well or better. That's 5 right there. Every GM and scout watching the playoffs will covet those players above a 6' defenseman who doesn't have a standout physical skill. His IQ is great but that won't matter nearly as much in the playoffs.

Reactions: 57special

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
After Celebrini you've got Levshunov, Dickinson, Silayev, and Lindstrom who are all much bigger and skate as well or better. That's 5 right there. Every GM and scout watching the playoffs will covet those players above a 6' defenseman who doesn't have a standout physical skill. His IQ is great but that won't matter nearly as much in the playoffs.
Those guys don’t skate as well or better. Put them in a head-to-head sprint, sure they likely win. But that’s not how the effectiveness of skating should be evaluated. People confuse speed with effective skating all the time.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, but he is literally better than all those guys with size and competed at a very high level this season. He competed against the oldest competition he could. He's not playing in juniors. Charlie Stramel is bigger and faster than Gabe Perrault, but we all know who everyone would rather have. Buium also isn't that small. It's not like he is Galvas or Kiviharju, he is 6'0" and thic
You’re completely missing 57’s point. I have Buium in the 3-5 range on my personal list but I understand why he isn’t going to go top-5. It’s absolutely because every year, GMs watch the playoffs and get fixated on 6’2” defensemen even if they aren’t physical.

Buium will likely go behind Dickinson, which is insane to me because Buium can think circles around him, but GMs will easily imagine SD eating up 25+ minutes a game in the NHL playoffs due to his size and skating. It’s just now they work. I don’t think it’s the right mentality, but we’ve seen it time and time again, every draft cycle.

Buium will go in the 6-10 range, you can take that to the bank.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You’re completely missing 57’s point. I have Buium in the 3-5 range on my personal list but I understand why he isn’t going to go top-5. It’s absolutely because every year, GMs watch the playoffs and get fixated on 6’2” defensemen even if they aren’t physical.

Buium will likely go behind Dickinson, which is insane to me because Buium can think circles around him, but GMs will easily imagine SD eating up 25+ minutes a game in the NHL playoffs due to his size and skating. It’s just now they work. I don’t think it’s the right mentality, but we’ve seen it time and time again, every draft cycle.

Buium will go in the 6-10 range, you can take that to the bank.
I hope you are right. About Buium that is. The more I read about Dickinson, the more his hockey sense worries me. I would not be upset getting Dickinson at 8 but would be thrilled Buium made it there.

Reactions: montreal

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I hope you are right. About Buium that is. The more I read about Dickinson, the more his hockey sense worries me. I would not be upset getting Dickinson at 8 but would be thrilled Buium made it there.
I wouldn’t sweat if you did get Dickinson at 8, I think 6-10 is a very reasonable range for him. He’s got tools for days and has proven that he can be an impact player within a tight system, even if I do have some concerns over his hockey IQ and he isn’t much of a playmaker. You can’t really go wrong with a 6’3” defenseman who skates well and has a bomb of a shot.

But yeah, I like Buium a lot more. He’s got the type of offensive brain that can win a game on his own.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
1. SJ is taking Celebrini so he can’t go there
2. He could be in play here but I think they’d likely want a RD if the went towards a defenseman
3. Ana needs a RD- too much overlap with Mintyukov skill set as well
4. CBJ has Werenski and Matechyuk
5. MTL likely wouldn’t take him with Hutson there
6. Utah- Perfect fit for him or Perekh, imo

Reactions: coooldude

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Yeah, but he is literally better than all those guys with size and competed at a very high level this season. He competed against the oldest competition he could. He's not playing in juniors. Charlie Stramel is bigger and faster than Gabe Perrault, but we all know who everyone would rather have. Buium also isn't that small. It's not like he is Galvas or Kiviharju, he is 6'0" and thic.

Lets take a look at his resume;

-He won the U18's gold, WJC-U20 gold, and NCAA Frozen Four National title all within a calendar year
-Led the US WJC-U20 gold team in +/-
-Led the US WJC-U20 gold team in goal scoring for defensemen
-He scored the game clinching goal for the US at the WJC-U20 championship
-He led the entire NCAA in +/- with a +33
-He had the best points per game for a draft eligible in the salary cap era (at-least)
-He shutdown the #1 oa pick in this years draft in the Frozen Four
-He shutdown possibly the best line in NCAA history in the championship game
-He created something out of nothing to set-up an incredible 2nd goal for Denver to win the Championship 2-0
-Scored 50 points in the NCAA (50 freaking points)
-He did all the above while only being an 18 year old
That's quite a resume.

This guy's special.

Might end up the best player of this draft

Reactions: Realgud

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
1. SJ is taking Celebrini so he can’t go there
2. He could be in play here but I think they’d likely want a RD if the went towards a defenseman
3. Ana needs a RD- too much overlap with Mintyukov skill set as well
4. CBJ has Werenski and Matechyuk
5. MTL likely wouldn’t take him with Hutson there
6. Utah- Perfect fit for him or Perekh, imo
I will say, teams in the top 5 shouldn't be factoring in need unless you have two guys rated the same or within a certain threshold. Obviously all these teams lists look different but that high in the draft you believe in the work your team has done all season and take the best player on your board, roster be damned.

Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin, should they have passed on Staal, Toews and Backstrom to take Kessel or Okposo? (Granted that's an extremely example but still)

Reactions: Toe Pick

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I will say, teams in the top 5 shouldn't be factoring in need unless you have two guys rated the same or within a certain threshold. Obviously all these teams lists look different but that high in the draft you believe in the work your team has done all season and take the best player on your board, roster be damned.

Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin, should they have passed on Staal, Toews and Backstrom to take Kessel or Okposo? (Granted that's an extremely example but still)
They did win 2 Cups with Kessel and only 1 with Staal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad