LD Will Skahan - USNTDP, USHL (2024, 64th, UTAH)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Skahan’s skating abilities are one of the first things you see when watching him play. He has great footspeed that allows him to easily catch up to his opponents. He has a physical edge to his game where he uses his big body to deliver crushing checks. He also has a good stick in the defensive zone breakung up oncoming plays. Once in the offensive zone, he uses his vision and passing ability to open up lanes for his teammates or getting the puck through from the point. Definitely a guy to watch in the coming years.

WHL Rights: Calgary Hitmen
WHL US Prospect Draft: Calgary Hitmen (R2, 2021, #26 Overall)

NCAA Commitment: Wisconsin

Last edited:
Reactions: LeProspector

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really big and not a skating or puck liability. He’ll be a defensive defenseman, but he could have enough in other parts of the game to be an impactful NHL defensemen. 6’4 and has some upside, so let’s see how his next few years go. Could be a player NHL teams like. Not too dissimilar to Brady Cleveland from the age group above his.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I think Skahan is the best defenseman on the US U17 team right now. He has shown offensive ability and is already Has a fantastic shutdown game. Potential high first round pick for sure.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Watch out for this player. I think he's going to turn some heads.

He's the type of player NHL teams will love. He's not a offensive dynamo, but he skates well and moves the puck pretty well for 6'4 and I find that defensively he's already very good.

Would not be surprised at all if he's picked in the first round in 2024. I won't guarantee it, but I think he could generate more discussion over the next year and a half.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bumping this thread. He’s very similar to Mattias Samuelsson. Basically a carbon copy. Potentially a little worse at the same age, but very close.

Samuelsson would go top 10 in a re-draft and was about that caliber at the time, but that was the time where teams were hesitant to pick big defensive defenseman because they were worried they’d become Reinhart or McIlrath.

Now they are back in vogue. I think he’s definitely a top 10 or 15 candidate going into next season. My hot take is he should make the USA World Junior team in December. That team has no depth on the left side.

• Love
Reactions: dr1234

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Bumping this thread. He’s very similar to Mattias Samuelsson. Basically a carbon copy. Potentially a little worse at the same age, but very close.

Samuelsson would go top 10 in a re-draft and was about that caliber at the time, but that was the time where teams were hesitant to pick big defensive defenseman because they were worried they’d become Reinhart or McIlrath.

Now they are back in vogue. I think he’s definitely a top 10 or 15 candidate going into next season. My hot take is he should make the USA World Junior team in December. That team has no depth on the left side.

In vouge is nice.

Those two didn't excel because they couldn't skate.

Cleveland can at least skate better than those two.

Marshmont63

Jun 22, 2016
The Heights
Is Skahan a possible first rounder? He hasn’t put up very many points this season, but I have read that he’s more of a defensive defenseman. How does he project as a prospect? Is this a really big pickup for BC or just a good pickup?

Reactions: Beckett

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is Skahan a possible first rounder? He hasn’t put up very many points this season, but I have read that he’s more of a defensive defenseman. How does he project as a prospect? Is this a really big pickup for BC or just a good pickup?
He’s a defensive defensemen, so his point totals are going to be low. EJ Emery, another big and fast DFD, has one more point, so that’s kind of just how it is with some of these DFD. He’s a physical beast and can skate. He’s good with the positional and thinking parts of defending too.

Whether he’s a first rounder, anyone’s guess. I thought Mattias Samusuelsson was a top 10 or so pick in his draft and he was picked early second round. In hindsight, he’s pretty much right around top 10 in a re-draft, but a defensive defenseman who doesn’t put up points might drop to the second round. It’s a hard sell for that to be your first rounder. Then again, you get guys like Lian Bischel picked 18. I’d probably say he’s a top 20 pick, but I value a potential top 4 DFD as a first rounder. Not everyone will.

But yes, a very big pickup. Every good team needs players like him.

Reactions: Beckett

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Smart. I know Wisconsin has a new coach and the team is winning games, but they haven’t had the best recent track record with highly touted picks.
I think he’d have been fine at wisco. They’re loaded up front + he and Hensler would’ve really rounded out that back end. Coaching would be a big plus there too. I’ve watched Mike Hastings coach a lot of hockey games and I can’t say enough good things about him. He’s phenomenal. Now obviously BC is about as good of a landing spot as it gets so he’ll be fine

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Every time I see him play I forget how physical he is. Not only with hitting, but how strong and forceful he plays. His ability to separate players from the puck is already NHL level. He has NHL size and strength already. Good skater for his size. Plays a reliable defensive game. Yeah, he's physical and can destroy you, but he also plays smart in the defensive zone with positioning and making smart, quick decisions.

The question will be how well he moves pucks. I remember having similar questions about Mattias Samuelsson. Never thought he had great hands or puck-handling, and he's become a 2 or 3 in the NHL. If it doesn't go well for Skahan's progression then he'll probably be closer to a Tyler Kleven who can't really move pucks yet is likely to be a 4-6 in the NHL. I would probably pick him late first, although second round isn't too far off. What I don't agree with are the people that look at his point totals and say not for me. He's a DFD. Never will be an offensive guy, but I think the way he plays will result in an NHL regular. Question is whether thats a good NHL'er or a low-end NHL'er.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I think he's more of an athlete than a hockey player. Not good with the puck; turns the puck over too much for my liking. Breakout passes aren't clean. Toolsy though and potential defensively. I think his upside is Josh Manson.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think he's more of an athlete than a hockey player. Not good with the puck; turns the puck over too much for my liking. Breakout passes aren't clean. Toolsy though and potential defensively. I think his upside is Josh Manson.

I mean Manson was an integral top four defender on a Cup champion….thats pretty great upside. I guess the problem/question lies in the likelihood of reaching that upside.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I mean Manson was an integral top four defender on a Cup champion….thats pretty great upside. I guess the problem lies in the likelihood of reaching that upside?
I agree. That was meant to be a compliment. I think Skahan could play in the NHL tomorrow and not look completely out of place from a physical standpoint. He really needs to clean up his game with the puck though.

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR

Manson was who I thought of as well. He just seems so much like a Madden/Ducks pick to me, kind of expecting him to be picked with whatever late 1st they get for Hanrique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad