LD Niilopekka Muhonen - KalPa U20, U20 SM-sarja (2024, 158th, DAL)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he’s probably a first round pick in 2024. Could be a high first if he shows more offense.

He’s pretty good in all parts of the game. Good hands, makes good passes, skates pretty well for his size, can play physical and not bad with his defensive decisions. The major question is I haven’t seen offensive instincts. He tried to blast away at the point too much and doesn’t take many offensive risks.

Significant offense may not be part of his game or it might be that he’s keeping it simple against older players. I can’t tell yet, but a 6’4 defenseman who doesn’t struggle in any area looks likely to be a first round pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Curious to see if he will be a regular in Liiga next year and build some hype. Looks like an interesting player at the U18s with his size/skating combo.

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Curious to see if he will be a regular in Liiga next year and build some hype. Looks like an interesting player at the U18s with his size/skating combo.
I doubt that he will be Liiga regular, he scored 6 points last season in A-juniors, he probably plays one more season there. Mestis is also option if they think he needs to play against adults, but I personally think that juniors would be best place for him for work his pucks skills etc.

KalPa has already signed Lappalainen, Gallet, Mattila, Salmela, Sissons and Ville Ruotsalainen, who is right now ahead of Muhonen in the depth chart. I also believe and hope that there will be more signings, Salmela shouldn't be regular at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I doubt that he will be Liiga regular, he scored 6 points last season in A-juniors, he probably plays one more season there. Mestis is also option if they think he needs to play against adults, but I personally think that juniors would be best place for him for work his pucks skills etc.

KalPa has already signed Lappalainen, Gallet, Mattila, Salmela, Sissons and Ville Ruotsalainen, who is right now ahead of Muhonen in the depth chart. I also believe and hope that there will be more signings, Salmela shouldn't be regular at this point.
Bummer, I thought maybe with his physical gifts he could play pro next year.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Maybe he could, you never know with these kids nowdays. I could see him playing few games in Liiga at some point.
How likely you see that Muhonen decides to go CHL ( Canadian Hockey League )
if some team drafts him this summer?

And what plans Kalpa has made for him regarding season 2023-2024 which is Muhonen's draft year

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
How likely you see that Muhonen decides to go CHL ( Canadian Hockey League )
if some team drafts him this summer?

And what plans Kalpa has made for him regarding season 2023-2024 which is Muhonen's draft year
Jonne Tammela is the only KalPa draftee that I remember going to CHL and even he did play one more year in Finland after he got drafted, so it's not very likely. I could see him playing full time 24-25, but dmen on their D-1 year just don't get a full time role in Liiga, unless you're Miro Heiskanen or something

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
this guy got a lot of attention as a high pick, but seems like he's dropped off - at least in the public sphere. anyone that's seem him this year have an opinion? D with that size are always of interest.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
this guy got a lot of attention as a high pick, but seems like he's dropped off - at least in the public sphere. anyone that's seem him this year have an opinion? D with that size are always of interest.
I think he’s one of the most underrated players in this draft.

He’s not going to be a favorite of most internet scouts. But he’s big, skates well, can play defense well, and can move pucks. You’d like to see him be a little more aggressive offensively. As of now he’s close to a 0 offense guy, but that’s not what he’ll be drafted for. He’s starting to move into pro hockey and at times has been playing in higher age groups for Finland. That comes with challenges for anyone, whether he’s big or not. He’s going to be an NHL’er, but it may only be as like a 6.

Reactions: neelynugs

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kinda reminds me of Markus Niemeläinen as a prospect. All the tools but the toolbox is a big questionmark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad