LD Mattias Backman (2011, 146th overall, DET; traded to DAL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
There's going to hopefully be an interesting Swedish-Finnish rivalry on Texas' AHL defense next season between Julius Honka/Esa Lindell and Ludwig Bystrom/Mattias Bachman.

Hopefully Mattias Janmark will come over next year as well.

Backman left to go back to Sweden because he didn't want to play in the AHL. Not sure if he'll want to come back to play there again.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Backman left to go back to Sweden because he didn't want to play in the AHL. Not sure if he'll want to come back to play there again.

Not exactly, he left because he wasn't playing in the AHL. Was being healthy scratched in Grand Rapids and he wanted ice time. If Dallas can promise him big minutes in the AHL and maybe a cup of coffee in the NHL I'd say there's a good chance he'll come back over.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

he left for Sweden because Holland was terrified of losing Lashoff and/or Kindl "for nothing" and clung onto them for dear life even though that meant having 5 legit defense prospects buried in Grand Rapids,Backman didn't get off to a great start and between all the other prospects,a good AHL defenseman in Paetsch,and a vet Blashill likes in Evans he was a healthy scratch off and on

people love to blame the player but essentially this is all Ken Holland's fault,if he actually had the guts to cut ties with Lashoff or Kindl and have Ouellet up from the start of the year(who was better than them in the preseason anyways and Babcock even wanted him up) then the logjam isn't anywhere near as bad and Backman doesn't go back to Sweden in the first place

it's too bad really,Backman's a nice prospect and if things go well for his development I wouldn't be at all shocked if he eventually became the best of that group of defensive prospects but Holland's total inability to give up on worthless players in the name of "depth" eventually pretty much drove him out of town

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
he left for Sweden because Holland was terrified of losing Lashoff and/or Kindl "for nothing" and clung onto them for dear life even though that meant having 5 legit defense prospects buried in Grand Rapids,Backman didn't get off to a great start and between all the other prospects,a good AHL defenseman in Paetsch,and a vet Blashill likes in Evans he was a healthy scratch off and on

people love to blame the player but essentially this is all Ken Holland's fault,if he actually had the guts to cut ties with Lashoff or Kindl and have Ouellet up from the start of the year(who was better than them in the preseason anyways and Babcock even wanted him up) then the logjam isn't anywhere near as bad and Backman doesn't go back to Sweden in the first place

it's too bad really,Backman's a nice prospect and if things go well for his development I wouldn't be at all shocked if he eventually became the best of that group of defensive prospects but Holland's total inability to give up on worthless players in the name of "depth" eventually pretty much drove him out of town

Backman had his opportunities in Grand Rapids this season and blew it. The blame falls entirely on him.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Backman had his opportunities in Grand Rapids this season and blew it. The blame falls entirely on him.

he was good in the Playoffs last year,he didn't get off to a good start this year but then he was in and out of the lineup and that can be a rough thing for a prospect to overcome,he needed more rope than he got and he would have gotten it if it weren't for Holland's stubborn refusal to let either Lashoff or Kindl go

it was incredibly stupid from a developmental standpoint to overload Grand Rapids to such a ridiculous extent,there's only so many minutes to go around

and for what? he couldn't find anyone interested in Kindl or Lashoff and ended up waiving Lashoff eventually anyways so he ended up intentionally making the Wings team weaker for a while AND overloading Grand Rapids to a ridiculous extent and eventually driving Backman out of town all for no reason at all

and all that worry about "losing him for nothing" and nobody even claimed Lashoff when he waived him :laugh:

I mean....this stuff is hardly complicated,i've been making posts expressing worry that all this nonsense was inevitably going to end up driving someone out for no good reason since the offseason and it's not like i'm some brilliant hockey mind or anything but Holland makes me look like a ****ing prophet

Last edited:

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
Rumour has it there were off ice issues as well. Supposedly he didn't see eye to eye with his teammates choice of pastime activities.... which left him with few friends.

Observations I have seen people make do suggest that he really wasn't part of the group.

But as it's just rumours we'll leave it at that.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Rumour has it there were off ice issues as well. Supposedly he didn't see eye to eye with his teammates choice of pastime activities.... which left him with few friends.

Observations I have seen people make do suggest that he really wasn't part of the group.

But as it's just rumours we'll leave it at that.

Where did you hear this?

Primetimey*

Klingberg, Nemeth, Backman.. who else is left from the Swedish WJC Gold Medal defense?

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
Where did you hear this?

My father. Not sure where he got it from, but I can't find anything on the Internet so I guess it's word of mouth all the way from the source. It's a relatively small town and Bäckman is a local (so lots of relatives and friends). Word gets around. But rumours are rumours.

The observations are a bit more noticable though. People watching Griffins' games noticed that Bäckman went straight for the bench when they scored instead of celebrating with the other four guys on the ice. Not exactly normal behaviour in such a situation, and certainly not for Bäckman. That do suggest that something wasn't right (besides limited TOI).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad