LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024, 10th, NJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Does that first alignment not have four PP defenseman? How is that going to work?

Also, how often do teams ever move defensemen to forward? talked about all the time and might happen for a few players of note every five years.

I don’t think Dougie lasts beyond the 2026 summer when Nemec is onto his next deal. You cannot be paying Luke, Dougie, and Nemec 8+ mil. Dougie’s just going to be become redundant and luxury. You can make it work when they’re still on ELCs but you can’t after that.

My concern is that they move on from Casey prematurely. I think playing this whole year in the AHL and being the 1D is perfectly fine even though I do think he could definitely he an NHLer. Get him used to playing the pro game as an undersized D. The forward thing as a full time long term thing I’ve always thought isn’t something that’ll happen but my hope is you can make it work for a year in 25-26. Use Casey as a forward and the injury replacement 7D. Then move on from Dougie that summer and shift Casey back. IIRC Casey was never a full time D until he was like 15/16. Last summer I remember an interview with him where he talked about the Michigan coaches telling him to just “be a hockey player” and Casey used that advice and said he learned how to play forward as a just in case. Then there’s that one game where Michigan was really shorthanded so they moved Casey up to center and he had 2 goals (another called back) and an assist. So there’s some hope maybe you can move him up as a short term thing and then drop him back

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
SJ rejected Holtz. I’m also talking about myself and I was open to putting Holtz in that deal. I was very openly against wanting Zetterlund in the deal
Do we actually know if holtz was offered to San Jose and they turned it down?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Silayev hits his potential, the Devils are going to be scary. Even if he doesn’t, they still might be. I think his floor is probably a Zadorov type with better skating - a legitimate #2-#3 D.

Upside could be something in between a Bouwmeester with a physical element, to a Hedman/Chara type.

Amazing pick.
That’s how I view it as a fan of a rival team. I can tolerate them picking some guy that’ll play in the middle of their lineup. Didn’t want them picking a player that in 10 years could be looking like he’s on the way to the HOF. Not saying it’s likely, but when you are that height, can skate, and already play very good defense, add offense and it might become true.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If Silayev hits his potential, the Devils are going to be scary. Even if he doesn’t, they still might be. I think his floor is probably a Zadorov type with better skating - a legitimate #2-#3 D.

Upside could be something in between a Bouwmeester with a physical element, to a Hedman/Chara type.

Amazing pick.
Does that first alignment not have four PP defenseman? How is that going to work?

Also, how often do teams ever move defensemen to forward? talked about all the time and might happen for a few players of note every five years.

I think young Parayko would be a really good outcome for Silayev

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

I’m not sure what you meant by the first part. Those are just potential defensive pairings I listed not a pp unit.

The last time I can remember the Devils moving a defender to forward was Eric Gelinas.

The only reason I brought it up is because I didn’t and don’t see room for Casey any time soon. Definitely not this year but I guess the plan is to keep him in the AHL next year anyway.

Even after next season we have Hamilton, Nemec, and Pesce on the right side locked up for years. The best Casey can expect is to play on his off hand, be a #7, or be traded. I guess there’s the potential in moving Hamilton in a few years but personally I think that would show a lack of loyalty to a guy who 1) chose the Devils and 2) has earned every penny of his contract so far (minus injuries).

Not many teams can say they have a lot him at RHD.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Holtz was 100% worth more than Shakir+Zetterlund at that time.
He wasn't. He would be dealt if SJ would want him. Mercer was very productive. Bratt was great, Meier was RW.
But he wasn't. It was obvious in the moment that Shakir is better prospect, and he was more attractive for obvious reasons for SJ. And he was moved because Meier was attractive for Devils.
SJ would not deal player like Meier for players they don't really want or think about them low.
And now it is obvious even more.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not sure what you meant by the first part. Those are just potential defensive pairings I listed not a pp unit.

The last time I can remember the Devils moving a defender to forward was Eric Gelinas.

The only reason I brought it up is because I didn’t and don’t see room for Casey any time soon. Definitely not this year but I guess the plan is to keep him in the AHL next year anyway.

Even after next season we have Hamilton, Nemec, and Pesce on the right side locked up for years. The best Casey can expect is to play on his off hand, be a #7, or be traded. I guess there’s the potential in moving Hamilton in a few years but personally I think that would show a lack of loyalty to a guy who 1) chose the Devils and 2) has earned every penny of his contract so far (minus injuries).

Not many teams can say they have a lot him at RHD.
I think you answered it for yourself then with Casey. He’s not going to be playing his offhand if there’s no no PP time available for him. That’s too many PP types. One or two of those guys won’t be on the team. Casey and Hamilton the most likely of the bunch not to in the future.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think you answered it for yourself then with Casey. He’s not going to be playing his offhand if there’s no no PP time available for him. That’s too many PP types. One or two of those guys won’t be on the team. Casey and Hamilton the most likely of the bunch not to in the future.
Nemec is two way type with good defensive game already, Casey will develop at least one year in AHL, may be two years, Devils don't need to rush him, they have great 6D now to maximize Markstrom deal and the end of the long term Hischier deal. They can deal Dougie after two or three years and use Silayev-Casey pair in future.
Tampa won SC with Hedman, Sergachyov and Shattenkirk. Colorado won SC with Makar, Girard, Byram, Manson, Johnson×2.

I believe Devils don't need to worry at all. They have plenty of depth options too.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Nemec is two way type with good defensive game already, Casey will develop at least one year in AHL, may be two years, Devils don't need to rush him, they have great 6D now to maximize Markstrom deal and the end of the long term Hischier deal. They can deal Dougie after two or three years and use Silayev-Casey pair in future.
Tampa won SC with Hedman, Sergachyov and Shattenkirk. Colorado won SC with Makar, Girard, Byram, Manson, Johnson×2.

I believe Devils don't need to worry at all. They have plenty of depth options too.

Those teams weren’t paying those guys as much of the cap as the Luke/Nemec/Dougie trio would be beyond 25-26. It’s got to be 2 years and you find a way to ditch Dougie

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I’m merely saying that team building will see it such that the team will be built a little differently than the initial post I quoted where there are four PP defensemen and Casey is playing his offside. Alignments like that are fun to think about, but fantasy land.

A guy like Casey is an obvious goner and probably also someone like Hamilton too. That’s how I think it will be sorted out, but anyway you’re right that the Devils have time and it’s a good problem to have.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I’m merely saying that team building will see it such that the team will be built a little differently than the initial post I quoted where there are four PP defensemen and Casey is playing his offside. Alignments like that are fun to think about, but fantasy land.

A guy like Casey is an obvious goner and probably also someone like Hamilton too. That’s how I think it will be sorted out, but anyway you’re right that the Devils have time and it’s a good problem to have.

Casey shouldn’t be a goner. We don’t have the space to where you can move him for a legit top 6er and the most likely way the space is getting opened up is when they move on from Dougie and at that point you’d be wishing to have Casey around. He should be going nowhere.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Casey shouldn’t be a goner. We don’t have the space to where you can move him for a legit top 6er and the most likely way the space is getting opened up is when they move on from Dougie and at that point you’d be wishing to have Casey around. He should be going nowhere.
But there are still creative ways to use him as an asset. You could use him to dump a contract. You could use him to acquire draft picks. It doesn't have to be lost value if Casey ends up a goner.

You just know that the way NHL coaches operate that if he's not at least the thirst best offensive threat on a blue line he's not going to be playing as a sub 5'10 defenseman. Might even have to be top 2 because sometimes coaches if you aren't a true impact player in a smaller role will default to the big and tough and bad at hockey defenseman.

I could be wrong, but I don't see Casey making his breakthrough with the Devils. They have time, but I think with Hughes and Nemec as the future of the blue line, still having Hamilton around and you never know if someone like Silayev can develop an offensive game, it's hard to see his role. I think Casey will play in the NHL, but probably elsewhere like Mukhamadullin. Only my opinion.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

There will be no "4 pp guys" and Casey isn't "goner". At least now, situation can change, opportunities can be open. Hamilton will go some day but it was obvious from the beginning. If you want to understand the situation, you will find it in posts of people who are watching the team and team prospects. @Hisch13r made clear point how it will go. If you think that guy like Nemec is "pp guy" you just don't know the player. Again, like I said, having more two way defensemen wasn't a problem for successful teams.

Those teams weren’t paying those guys as much of the cap as the Luke/Nemec/Dougie trio would be beyond 25-26. It’s got to be 2 years and you find a way to ditch Dougie
Of course. Its not like the way of Dougie deal wasn't built for being attractive for a future deal. Fitz invested a lot in defense to make opportunities and options.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There will be no "4 pp guys" and Casey isn't "goner". At least now, situation can change, opportunities can be open. Hamilton will go some day but it was obvious from the beginning. If you want to understand the situation, you will find it in posts of people who are watching the team and team prospects. @Hisch13r made clear point how it will go. If you think that guy like Nemec is "pp guy" you just don't know the player. Again, like I said, having more two way defensemen wasn't a problem for successful teams.
So I'm ignorant to the situation because I suggest Nemec will play on a PP regularly during his NHL career?

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
So I'm ignorant to the situation because I suggest Nemec will play on a PP regularly during his NHL career?
He should be. I think on most teams he would. He’s good enough to play the pp and pk. The devils will end up using him on the pk since Luke Hughes and Dougie Hamilton are good on the pp but not pk. For nemec to play on the pp he would have to be on a unit with Luke and 3 forwards while Dougie gets the other unit with 4 forwards. As someone else already said it’s more likely he gets pp time if there is an injury to Luke or Dougie than if everyone is healthy.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
But it's ok for a biased Rangers fan to tell a NJ fan about his own team? That's just as presumptuous.
This is what’s wrong about this website. I am neither insulting the Devils nor any player on the Devils. This is a stupid semantical discussion and now you are trying to mark your territory as if people can’t merely comment or have a discussion in this thread with a fan of the team that drafted the subject of the thread if you are a fan of a rival team.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is what’s wrong about this website. I am neither insulting the Devils nor any player on the Devils. This is a stupid semantical discussion and now you are trying to mark your territory as if people can’t merely comment or have a discussion in this thread with a fan of the team that drafted the subject of the thread if you are a fan of a rival team.
It's not an issue of a semantics discussion as I see it. It's just that everyone is entitled to all of their opinions. Shouting each other down includes that for better or worse. I'm not suggesting you were denigrating Nemec at all and I'm not trying to mark any territory. Part of the problem is that individual back and forth messages don't really work for the finer points of any discussion let alone the future of a 20 year old defender. Just note that rival teams fans will always view the others points with a bit of suspicion.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
As it relates to the general discussion, there’s nothing blasphemous about trading Casey. I like him, he’s a good player, but there’s only one puck and his calling card is always going to be offense. If Luke Hughes is going to be your main PP guy for the next 10-15 years, Casey is already starting at a disadvantage.

Once you factor in Silayev potentially growing his offensive game, it’s even more of an open question. Ultimately, it isn’t one that needs to be answered in the next two years, so we’ll see. They have plenty of time. By that point, they’ll likely move Hamilton and see what they have with the player at the NHL level before Silayev even comes over.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He might but as the team is set up now he’s behind both Luke Hughes and Hamilton. Absent injury he’s maybe playing the odd PP2 shift for the foreseeable future.

Seeing as Dougie's shelf life with a team is usually three years maybe he can be moved.

Of course, what other team would absorb that salary (or even half of it)?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Seeing as Dougie's shelf life with a team is usually three years maybe he can be moved.

Of course, what other team would absorb that salary (or even half of it)?
I think Hamilton has a full NMC for two more years? I don’t see him moving on before that expires. Moreover until Casey is ready to go NJ has no in house replacement anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad