Latest on the Arizona Coyotes Arena ordeal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Seems like most Arizonians don't even want the team there, so why not move it? A few percent of the state likes hockey and most couldn't give two shits about the NHL. But, sure, let's keep on trying to make it work. It's only been 28 years, they might still make it work in the end.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
No the angle I take is that Arizona's uncertain future is a topic that can have ongoing discussion. Arizona's arena situation can be a topic of ridicule. Arizona fans repeatedly are stating that there is no reason to continue discussing this topic. I disagree with that.

Because we know it's a temporary situation and can't be anything else but that. So how many times does it need to be repeated??

I think it's more a response to the (admittedly few) Coyotes fans who've taken this approach to counter any discussion on what's going on with their franchise:

200w.gif

Well there is some truth that when people keep repeating the same talking points over and over it gets a might stale.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just wanted to throw this out there. Pretend it’s your team in this situation. Cut the Coyotes fans some slack. As a fan of another smaller market team, I hope they can figure things out and stay in Arizona. Don’t be a troll and rub it in the fans faces of what’s going on there. Again, imagine if it was your team.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I haven’t been following the story all that closely but from the sounds of it a labour union/organization spent big to sway the vote in Tempe and they did this because they wanted Meurulo to commit to using more unionized labour for the project. Is that correct?

If that’s the case, is it possibly these union type of organizations will look for other ways to strong arm Mereulo knowing he’s likely becoming increasingly desperate. I know the Yotes have pivoted to locations that won’t require any type of public voting but is it possible we could see these union groups possibly seek out competing bidders for the land Mereulo is interested in?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Um, the NHL has owned the team at one point because Noone wanted to own them...
Um, they've been owned by a billionaire the last 5 years who is committed to Phoenix. You don't think he's turned down dozens of offers to sell while trying to build a new arena (currently hoping to spend another $70 mil on land)? Chipman has probably also received a number of offers over the last year yet appears to be committed to Winnipeg as well.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
How am I wrong, the NHL owned the team for like 4 years. From 2009 - 2013? Your telling me they would have kept ownership if they had a viable owner willing to buy them?

The NHL was never supposed to own the Coyotes. The league wanted a stable owner to take over from Moyes. However, due to his attempt to sell to Basillie, the league was forced to take control of the team due to a court ruling. The league first worked out a lease agreement with the city of Glendale to secure their place in the Valley. Then it went to work on finding a permanent owner.

While the league wanted to keep the team in Arizona, it made backup plans for True North Entertainment to purchase the Coyotes and relocate them back to Winnipeg if necessary. That ownership group later purchased the Atlanta Thrashers and the league put their new backup city as Seattle or Quebec City.

The league had interest including sales that almost went through with Matthew Hulsizer and Greg Jamison. However, both of those deals fell through due to disagreements with the city council and the conditions of the current lease.

On the ice, the team actually had its best couple of seasons. The Coyotes made the playoffs three straight times, captured a Pacific Divison championship, and won their first playoff series since moving to Arizona against the Chicago Blackhawks. They went on to make it to the Western Conference Final where they lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champions: the Los Angeles Kings.

Eventually, enough became enough. The NHL publicly announced that the Coyotes would move to KeyArena in Seattle if a deal between the city of Glendale and the team wasn’t reached by July 2, 2013. The lease that the league had originally signed had expired. Tensions were high and all signs pointed towards the Coyotes finally relocating. However, in true Coyotes fashion, it would take dramatics for everything to come into place. In the late evening of July 2, the Glendale City Council voted 4-3 to approve a 15-year lease agreement for the team to continue to play in the now-named Jobing.com Arena.

With the lease agreement, the NHL officially approved a group called RS&E to purchase the Coyotes for $225 million, ending the league’s ownership of the team. On the ice, the team had its most successful season to date, winning a division title and two playoff rounds all in the same year. Off the ice, it was always a question of if it was going to be in Arizona the next season.

Doesn't sound like an issue with not being able to find a viable owner, sounds like an issue with a lease agreement with the city

I'm sure you'll use this to move the goalposts and say "see the city doesn't want them there, no one wants them there", but at least you'll know in your heart that you truly have no idea what tf you're talking about

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Just wanted to throw this out there. Pretend it’s your team in this situation. Cut the Coyotes fans some slack. As a fan of another smaller market team, I hope they can figure things out and stay in Arizona. Don’t be a troll and rub it in the fans faces of what’s going on there. Again, imagine if it was your team.
No one's rubbing anything in anyones faces. I mean, sure it might hurt to hear facts, but it is what it is. Coyotes are in big trouble. It's not possible to compete in a league if your arena is 2-3x smaller than everyone elses.

It's not a right to be able to have an NHL team. It's a privilege. The team should be moved. Yesterday.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No one's rubbing anything in anyones faces. I mean, sure it might hurt to hear facts, but it is what it is. Coyotes are in big trouble. It's not possible to compete in a league if your arena is 2-3x smaller than everyone elses.

It's not a right to be able to have an NHL team. It's a privilege. The team should be moved. Yesterday.

That's why they're working on building a full size arena and the current one was just a temporary situation. That has always been the case.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
That's why they're working on building a full size arena and the current one was just a temporary situation. That has always been the case.
Yeah, they're working on it. The problem is that there should already be a new arena. It doesn't really help if they finally possibly get a new arena in 2030.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Doesn't sound like an issue with not being able to find a viable owner, sounds like an issue with a lease agreement with the city

I'm sure you'll use this to move the goalposts and say "see the city doesn't want them there, no one wants them there", but at least you'll know in your heart that you truly have no idea what tf you're talking about

Didn't Basillie want to move the team to Hamilton?

Wouldn't that Imply they didn't have an owner who wanted to keep the team in Arizona. How is that moving rhe goal posts?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Did you read literally anything after the first line?

No, I'm not reading a massive article. And I quote from the Arizona Coyotes Wikipedia page.

"The team was unstable under earlier ownership. The NHL took over the Phoenix Coyotes franchise in 2009, when then-owner Jerry Moyes gave up the team after filing for bankruptcy. The NHL maintained control of the franchise until 2013 when they found new ownership willing to keep it in Arizona. "

It took 4 years to find an owner to keep the team in Arizona. I want the Coyotes to work, it's a big market and could thrive. But the NHL very clearly has given them more rope than any other franchise they've ever moved.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
If Ryan Smith already hasn't been promised under the table that he will be awarded an expansion team, one wonders if would he disrupt the auction to increase his odds of landing a team.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
HSV, Hertha BSC, 1860 München, Minardi back in the day in F1, lots and lots of other teams in brasilian football, stoke city in England.

And those are only the ones that came directly to my mind.
At what point were any of teams playing in a university/college facility while being in a div 1 major league?

Reactions: Voight
Dec 15, 2002
How am I wrong, the NHL owned the team for like 4 years. From 2009 - 2013? Your telling me they would have kept ownership if they had a viable owner willing to buy them?
The NHL owned the team from 2009-13 because, at the very minimum:

* the prior owner tried to put the team into bankruptcy at the urging of someone who the NHL didn't want as an owner, who tried to circumvent the league's policies re: ownership and relocation via bankruptcy
* TNSE discussed buying the Coyotes before eventually buying the Thrashers when it was forced out of Atlanta by Atlanta Spirit
* One prospective ownership group's offer was scuttled because Glendale rejected the proposed lease terms
* At least one prospective owner couldn't negotiate a deal with Glendale on the lease, which it tried to do before submitting a formal purchase offer
* One prospective owner reached a deal with Glendale on the lease and would have been approved by the league, but then couldn't cobble together financing to buy the team
* One prospective owner was approved by the NHL, but couldn't negotiate a deal with Glendale on the lease
* One prospective owner had a deal with Glendale on the lease, only for that to fall apart because because the Goldwater Institute sued re: taxpayer rights

But feel free to ignore all those details and others that are kind of important to the story.

Fans don't decide where teams operate. Owners do.

Reactions: DaveG

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Coyotes manage can’t get an A for effort and no time limit on finding a solution.

The Chargers played in a ~30k capacity soccer stadium for three seasons while they waited for SoFi Stadium to be built.

That was pretty pathetic, and it allegedly broke the NFL rule requiring a 50k capacity minimum, but the Chargers did have a stadium to go to after 3 years.

This is the 2nd season the Coyotes have played in Mullet Arena and they have a 3 year lease.

The fastest any arena can be built, starting from when they break ground, is around 2 years.

If the land auction goes through how fast can they start building?

If the plan is to have the Coyotes play in Mullett Arena for a total of 5 years, that’s a pretty terrible plan.

I was a supporter of the team staying in Arizona until they lost the vote last May. When it came out that their ownership didn’t spend on vote, or apparently even know they were in danger of losing, it was pretty clear they’re too incompetent to get this arena up fast enough.

Just move the team to Houston or Salt Lake City and be done with it.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
It's asinine to me that an NHL team plays in an arena with less capacity than its own AHL affiliate. They should have just spent the money years ago to renovate the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum until they can get their you-know-what together for a new arena.

In the current situation, they really just need to cut their losses and move to Houston/SLC. I would love to see the Coyotes thrive in AZ (their 2012 playoff run was awesome!), but it just seems like nobody wants them there.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, I can really get behind the sentiment of like "ok, it sucks, but nothing has changed, and it really doesn't bear repeating."

It's like when people bring up the same stupid thing the Rangers did once, or on a personal level, "hey, remember when you said this one stupid thing years ago?"

If nothing has changed about the situation and the team can't do anything to rectify it at the moment, continuing to bring it up is just ridicule.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Coyotes manage can’t get an A for effort and no time limit on finding a solution.

The Chargers played in a ~30k capacity soccer stadium for three seasons while they waited for SoFi Stadium to be built.

That was pretty pathetic, and it allegedly broke the NFL rule requiring a 50k capacity minimum, but the Chargers did have a stadium to go to after 3 years.

This is the 2nd season the Coyotes have played in Mullet Arena and they have a 3 year lease.

The fastest any arena can be built, starting from when they break ground, is around 2 years.

If the land auction goes through how fast can they start building?

If the plan is to have the Coyotes play in Mullett Arena for a total of 5 years, that’s a pretty terrible plan.

I was a supporter of the team staying in Arizona until they lost the vote last May. When it came out that their ownership didn’t spend on vote, or apparently even know they were in danger of losing, it was pretty clear they’re too incompetent to get this arena up fast enough.

Just move the team to Houston or Salt Lake City and be done with it.

What I still can't figure out is the league's reluctance to even consider moving the team temporarily until they have an arena built in Tempe/Scottsdale/Phoenix/[insert random Arizona city here]. I don't care where in Arizona it is, find one that works and get an arena built.

But in the meantime, would it not make more sense for the team to at least play temporarily in another arena that is more suited to actual pro sports and not some glorified rec center? There's bound to be an arena in a neighbouring state that can at least house the team on a temporary basis.

Keeping the Coyotes at ASU for who knows how long, with the team just bleeding money every year, how is that a reasonable plan? :help:

Dec 15, 2002
What I still can't figure out is the league's reluctance to even consider moving the team temporarily until they have an arena built in Tempe/Scottsdale/Phoenix/[insert random Arizona city here]. I don't care where in Arizona it is, find one that works and get an arena built.
The league does not want to land in the position where it's dictating to any owner what an owner must and must not do with his team, above what's required for all teams. The moment it does, it starts obligating an owner to incur expenses for it. The fact that it may generate "more revenues" may be irrelevant, and other teams might also have an issue with being forced to spend more money [higher salary cap] because the league is directing someone else what to do that creates more revenues that ultimately comes at their expense.

But in the meantime, would it not make more sense for the team to at least play temporarily in another arena that is more suited to actual pro sports and not some glorified rec center? There's bound to be an arena in a neighbouring state that can at least house the team on a temporary basis.
That would probably require discussions with the NHLPA, who's going to want $$$ for all the players who have to be inconvenienced as a result.

And since it would be the league saying "you should go play elsewhere" it's the league that's going to be asked to foot all the extra expenses that go with that.

Keeping the Coyotes at ASU for who knows how long, with the team just bleeding money every year, how is that a reasonable plan? :help:
As long as Alex Meruelo is willing and able to float that, it's not anyone else's problem. The moment he can't or won't is the moment it becomes a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad