Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it - Second half of 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Previous thread went over a thousand posts. I guess it's time. I'll open this one with a few high-art gems.

The Desperate Hour (Noyce, 2021) – Larry Cohen once joked with Hitchcock about making an entire movie in a phone booth, and Hitch being the troll he was, told him it was a splendid idea – they just couldn't figure out why the protagonist would stay in the booth to maintain suspense. Years later, long after Hitchcock's death, Cohen came up with a dumb answer that became Phone Booth (2002). Now someone here got rid of the booth and, thanks to the cellphone, came up with a less dumb idea: a lady jogger 10 miles in the forest, with only her phone to manage through a terrible event. Now I think that I did enjoy some of that, and Naomi Watts is pretty good with the little she can work with. The problem with this film is that it doesn't dare go anywhere. It tries to get you to believe that it's somewhat of a prequel to We Need To Talk About Kevin, and even though it's pretty obvious it won't go through with it, you still expect (at first) some devastating outcome. I don't know if it's a valid expression in English, but in French, we say a wet firecracker. I'm probably generous, but at times it does things interestingly. Made me want to go back to the other desperate hours. 3/10

Day Shift
(Perry, 2022) – You think this is going to be all fun and dumb, but it's only f***ing dumb, and quickly boring too. 2.5/10

Wonder Woman 1984
(Jenkins, 2020) – How can a movie about amazon female fighters (with the absolutely gorgeous Gal Gadot) land exactly at the opposite of sexy? I didn't care much for the original one, and this one is worst. Only thing that I thought wasn't a complete bore was that the (very bad) villains really felt like they were out of a bad 80s screenplay. A very flacid 2.5/10

Amazons
(Sessa, 1986) – I hate heroic fantasy, but after the huge turn-off that was Wonder Woman part 2, I thought I'd follow @KallioWeHardlyKnewYe and give this one a try. Well, it's not as prude, that's for sure. Editing and fight choreography are hilarious – the overacting female lead is a gem. Most of what's happening make zero sense and it's just about impossible to care for any of it. I guess it would be “so bad it's good” for fans of the genre, but I just can't find much fun in this stuff (I think it's only the second film of the genre that I see - I mean, the amazon sexy ladies kind - the other one was by Alain Payet and probably even more ridiculous – I think I'll watch a few more). 1.5/10

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Previous thread went over a thousand posts. I guess it's time. I'll open this one with a few high-art gems.

The Desperate Hour (Noyce, 2021) – Larry Cohen once joked with Hitchcock about making an entire movie in a phone booth, and Hitch being the troll he was, told him it was a splendid idea – they just couldn't figure out why the protagonist would stay in the booth to maintain suspense. Years later, long after Hitchcock's death, Cohen came up with a dumb answer that became Phone Booth (2002). Now someone here got rid of the booth and, thanks to the cellphone, came up with a less dumb idea: a lady jogger 10 miles in the forest, with only her phone to manage through a terrible event. Now I think that I did enjoy some of that, and Naomi Watts is pretty good with the little she can work with. The problem with this film is that it doesn't dare go anywhere. It tries to get you to believe that it's somewhat of a prequel to We Need To Talk About Kevin, and even though it's pretty obvious it won't go through with it, you still expect (at first) some devastating outcome. I don't know if it's a valid expression in English, but in French, we say a wet firecracker. I'm probably generous, but at times it does things interestingly. Made me want to go back to the other desperate hours. 3/10

Day Shift
(Perry, 2022) – You think this is going to be all fun and dumb, but it's only f***ing dumb, and quickly boring too. 2.5/10

Wonder Woman 1984
(Jenkins, 2020) – How can a movie about amazon female fighters (with the absolutely gorgeous Gal Gadot) land exactly at the opposite of sexy? I didn't care much for the original one, and this one is worst. Only thing that I thought wasn't a complete bore was that the (very bad) villains really felt like they were out of a bad 80s screenplay. A very flacid 2.5/10

Amazons
(Sessa, 1986) – I hate heroic fantasy, but after the huge turn-off that was Wonder Woman part 2, I thought I'd follow @KallioWeHardlyKnewYe and give this one a try. Well, it's not as prude, that's for sure. Editing and fight choreography are hilarious – the overacting female lead is a gem. Most of what's happening make zero sense and it's just about impossible to care for any of it. I guess it would be “so bad it's good” for fans of the genre, but I just can't find much fun in this stuff (I think it's only the second film of the genre that I see - I mean, the amazon sexy ladies kind - the other one was by Alain Payet and probably even more ridiculous – I think I'll watch a few more). 1.5/10

The Tubi algorithm pointed me to Amazons after I watched Sorceress. I far preferred Sorceress, which hit those so bad it's good hallmarks so much harder for me. I loved it. In its special way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad