Larry Tanenbaum working to bring a WNBA team to Toronto (UPD: awaited expansion team in 2026)

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Seemed like a matter of time. This might make the Toronto PWHL team's hunt for a new arena more challenging.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Seemed like a matter of time. This might make the Toronto PWHL team's hunt for a new arena more challenging.
The WNBA season runs from mid-May to mid-October (including playoffs). The PWHL is planning to start in November and I suspect will wrap up before mid-May.

Reactions: dalewood12

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's great news but many years over due. And call me biased but the league should seriously look into Vancouver as well. No doubt it will succeed there, as well.
The WNBA is the one league on the planet where there’s not enough teams for all the talent. They could expand by 6-8 teams (at least) tomorrow and be perfectly fine. I suspect with this women’s sports boom, there will be quick expansion.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
The WNBA is the one league on the planet where there’s not enough teams for all the talent. They could expand by 6-8 teams (at least) tomorrow and be perfectly fine. I suspect with this women’s sports boom, there will be quick expansion.
If they don't capitalize with Clark bringing in the bacon by expanding rapidly from this point on, they need to pack it in. Thankfully, the brass realize the golden opportunity they've been handed, and they can be significantly more aggressive in terms of expansion from this point on.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If they don't capitalize with Clark bringing in the bacon by expanding rapidly from this point on, they need to pack it in. Thankfully, the brass realize the golden opportunity they've been handed, and they can be significantly more aggressive in terms of expansion from this point on.
They’ve already been working towards that. The league is on good footing, Caitlin Clark isn’t taking things from bad to good, she’s hopefully taking them from good to great. If Caitlin Clark decided tomorrow that she’s going to become a recluse monk and go live in a mountain cave and never plays again, the league would still be fine and still be in need of a rapid growth phase. Just maybe not as quick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They’ve already been working towards that. The league is on good footing, Caitlin Clark isn’t taking things from bad to good, she’s hopefully taking them from good to great. If Caitlin Clark decided tomorrow that she’s going to become a recluse monk and go live in a mountain cave and never plays again, the league would still be fine and still be in need of a rapid growth phase. Just maybe not as quick.
Just to highlight further to this, we went through a nationally televised draft where 36 players were picked and only 13 made their teams. There’s some players whose rights are held overseas, but this was the generational draft. It’s not unusual for first round picks to get cut loose. There’s not enough seats at the table.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
Yeah...Toronto PWHL is at the moment not at all worried considering they're technically based out of Mattamy, and have only taken over Coca-Cola Coliseum for the last few regular season games and the playoffs. Unless TMU decides to kick them out, I doubt they're that worried about losing a home if they decide to make CCC full time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad